• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't see the problem with this. As responsible firearm owners we should know where our bullet will stop. Not just the first 25 yards of travel.

I read it and unless I missed something in the article, he wasn't calling anyone specific out. He is just asking for people to stop shooting in such a way that stray rounds could injure someone.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I see it as a wakeup call to practice safe shooting BEFORE big brother steps in. While most INGOers would not complain about the neighbor shooting on their own property they will if stray bullets start coming toward them.

If a buddy ask you over to shoot and you see he does not have a safe backstop would you say something?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Nice how they threw in a random picture of a squad car from unknown department en-route to unknown destination, unrelated to content.

Lesson in emotional impact, jumping at conclusions, and general ranting.

This is the kind of crap we can expect any time someone gets stupid with a firearm.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    What really sucks is the never ending increases in property taxes that push these farmers to sell their land which then gets built into subdivisions, therefore bringing the city life out to the country. I know its not just increasing property taxes causing this (kids not wanting to continue on the family farm) but definitely is 1 reason for the urban sprawl into the more rural areas, and that is sad, imho

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    This is a very liberal newspaper. I quit reading it long ago. That said, you are an idiot if you can't control where your bullets are going.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    "The growth is important to increasing Northwest Indiana's tax base and creating new housing stock to attract and retain residents."

Third sentence down.

We are responsible for all projectiles. It's NOT an "out of sight out of mind" occurrence.
    Definitely written with an anti slant without coming out and saying it.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    The term "trigger happy" showed the mentality of the writer. Also referring to farmland as "range" and using the term "wild west". How many conservatives say "wild west"?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. Its all about being responsible.

When I was a teen I was hanging out by my garage and kept hearing a gunshots on the next road over (1/4 mi between roads). Occasionally I would hear a weird buzzing sound in the old walnut tree above me at about the same time a shot was fired.

I soon put 2 and 2 together and realized I was hearing his rounds literally whizzing over my head about 20-30 feet up.

I had a few choice words when I went and found him shooting his semi auto tommy gun into paper targets with zero backstop. :facepalm: He assumed since he was shooting down toward the ground they were all being eaten by his yard. Nope. Many were skipping off his property directly toward me.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Too bad most of the cities are so poorly run, corrupt, and disintegrating that they're running people out into the country to get away from that crap. It amazes me people move out among the farms and then get their panties wadded up because of the smells and sounds that come with running farms.

That being said, it's our responsibility to keep our rounds off their property.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Our Region is changing. Families are increasingly occupying land that once was open range. It's a reality of growth.
    Responsible gun owners would never consider firing weapons within close proximity to where children play in yards or on neighborhood sidewalks or where families sit down to dinner.

The article is not calling for safe shooting, the article is calling for "no shooting" in these areas. NW Indiana is not chicago, nor a suburb of, no matter how bad some folks (like the author) want it to be considered so.

Da Region, Da Region, Da Region, blech. "I moved into the country and do not like living in the country", blech.

We need to keep our rounds safely on the property. That is a fact.

If some twits moved into the country and they do not like that there is country stuff going on, they can suck it until they get their place sold and move back to the city.

Also, was NW Indiana ever open range? There is quite a bit of open range in the Western US, but I don't remember any of nothern Indiana being open range.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Wait until a council person makes this their pet project.

Here in Marion County, Council Critter, Angela Mansfield attempted to champion this cause about 10 years ago. It was all over the media, her standing next to a vinyl sided house with obvious hail damage, claiming "errant gun fire". She attempted to ban firing anything, including bows, guns, slingshots, airsoft etc. if a projectile of any kind left, it was to dangerous. No hunting, shooting, nothing. She had all kinds of claims of hunters killing the children, and so forth.

She was was eventually defeated. People showed up in droves, and DNR even spoke at the council meeting that they have no records of "errant gun fire" from a hunter within the county.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I see it as a wakeup call to practice safe shooting BEFORE big brother steps in. While most INGOers would not complain about the neighbor shooting on their own property they will if stray bullets start coming toward them.

If a buddy ask you over to shoot and you see he does not have a safe backstop would you say something?

Yup and I would not shoot there.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    This is typical of an anti-gun crowd picking an easy target in order to advance their agenda. But, guess who is providing the easy targets!

Hard to disagree with this... Responsible gun owners would never consider firing weapons within close proximity to where children play in yards or on neighborhood sidewalks or where families sit down to dinner.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is typical of an anti-gun crowd picking an easy target in order to advance their agenda. But, guess who is providing the easy targets!

Hard to disagree with this... Responsible gun owners would never consider firing weapons within close proximity to where children play in yards or on neighborhood sidewalks or where families sit down to dinner.

Exactly.
    Does any one remember when Mom45 1st joined the Forum and why. She experienced gun related insanity. Totally idiotic inbred morons with AR's and AK's using her woods as a back stop. She had to bring serious charges and threat of legal action for the damaged trees.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

My issue with that statement is "close proximity". I am reminded of "common sense gun laws".

Given proper engineering, I don't have any problem at all with people shooting on the other side of a wall from a playground or daycare.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    For those of you not in the only true indiana county, lake county, the issue all started because a few weeks 2 teens whwre shooting in a vacant lot of land and their bullets went flying across the street and into a house. The owner got mad and complained to the town about it.
    The teens were not being responisble about it.

However this is south of us30 and that is "rural lake county". The problem is way tok many north of us30 are moving that way and takibg their city/chicago menatlty with them.

If you move south dont expect rural things not to be there.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Our Region is changing. Families are increasingly occupying land that once was open range. It's a reality of growth.
    Responsible gun owners would never consider firing weapons within close proximity to where children play in yards or on neighborhood sidewalks or where families sit down to dinner.

The article is not calling for safe shooting, the article is calling for "no shooting" in these areas. NW Indiana is not chicago, nor a suburb of, no matter how bad some folks (like the author) want it to be considered so.

Da Region, Da Region, Da Region, blech. "I moved into the country and do not like living in the country", blech.

If some twits moved into the country and they do not like that there is country stuff going on, they can suck it until they get their place sold and move back to the city.

Also, was NW Indiana ever open range? There is quite a bit of open range in the Western US, but I don't remember any of nothern Indiana being open range.

Yep
    Typical "Da Region" mentality of wanting people whose families have lived in the country for a century or more without any problems or complaints to conform to their big city bull**** beliefs and hoplophobia.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

IF I'm not mistaken Chicago can be considered open range. The shooting statistics make for a solid argument.

Top Bottom