• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Question for the group, especially you legal experts.

One of the people that I live with recently got put on probation, one of the terms of which is that no firearms can be present in the residence. I've been getting nagged to get all of my guns out of the house, and the only options they're offering is either a storage unit or another relative.

My main issue other than being punished for somebody else's stupidity, is the legal and liability issues that I can see. For one, since I'm the owner of the guns in question, can I get in trouble if they're stored somewhere other than my house. The other major issue is that one firearm is a registered SBR, and as I've tried to explain to these people, I have to be in control of it, not somebody else.

My question to y'all is, what are my options as a good law-abiding citizen?

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Myself, I would remove the person on probation from the house before I would remove my firearms. The way I see it is they are the problem, not your guns. However, if your guns are secured as they should be and said person has no access to the guns then why must they be removed?

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I totally agree with you, and the guns are secured in a safe when not in use. I'm the only one in the house who knows the combination also. The problem is I've been getting nagged for the past 3 days because I didn't immediately sign up for a storage unit or go to a family members house for something I had nothing to do with. I'm half tempted to call the probation dept and see what the deal is.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    If you decide that you MUST remove your firearms (punishing YOU) rather than removing the person on probation, you could put the receiver of your SBR in a bank safety deposit box - that way it is still under your control

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I totally agree with you, and the guns are secured in a safe when not in use. I'm the only one in the house who knows the combination also. The problem is I've been getting nagged for the past 3 days because I didn't immediately sign up for a storage unit or go to a family members house for something I had nothing to do with. I'm half tempted to call the probation dept and see what the deal is.

I guess it depends on how much you like this person and/or need them around to get your rent paid. You could tell him he's the one that caused this problem. If the guns have to be put in storage, he needs to pony up the money. It's not your relative's problem he screwed up and you don't believe in placing burdens on them they don't deserve. The other option is for him to remove himself from the vicinity of the legally owned and possessed firearms--he could go lean on his relatives or pay for his own new living quarters.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Tough situation, don't know what the probation is for and what the relationship is, but people talk, and you could come home to find your house emptied of guns either way. SBR receiver needs to go to the bank box like HK said.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Holy crap!? How is this even a question??!

THEY are the source of their own problems. How about some personal responsibility?
    THEY are pressuring YOU because of their problem!?
    GTFO of here.

If they were worth a **** as a person they wouldn't put YOU in this situation.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree with Moving him out. He caused the issue. Why are you being nagged. Are these people anti's..??
    Do you own the house..??
    Are you rooming with these people...??
    Can you find another place..??

No way in hell I would allow myself to be subjected to this.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    All I know is that whem Bo and Luke were on probation, they couldn't have guns...but apparently compound bows with dynamite arrows were just fine.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Pit safe in YOUR room, lock said safe with firearms in it, and forget about it. The probabtion officer has no authority to enter non-common areas such as roommates' rooms.(Or so it was when my little brother stayed with me during a stint of probabtion.)

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Perhaps I didn't give enough detail. The house is my parents, and in the people who live there are Me, Mom, Dad, and dumb a** baby Sister whose on probation. The probation is for a theft charge and my understanding is after a year of unsupervised probation the charge becomes a misdemeanor.

The problem right now is Mom and Dad won't stop nagging me about the guns since Wednesday, when keep in mind my main priority was getting my Jeep fixed so that it wasn't sitting on the side of the road, not to mention 2 jobs and they haven't figured out why I haven't immediately complied and moved everything to my older Sisters. Dad apparently assumed that I'd just do it because he asked politely, and we all know what they say about assuming.

And I have thought about moving out for awhile, my problem now is I'm not getting forced out of my house because of somebody else's stupidity, at least not without a fight.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Well it's not your house, it's your parents, you're not being forced out, they are asking you to comply with the new rules of the house.

whats stopping you from moving out of your parents house?

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Well it's not your house, it's your parents, you're not being forced out, they are asking you to comply with the new rules of the house.

whats stopping you from moving out of your parents house?

Mainly cash. I'd like to move out but they have nasty habits of setting unrealistic time frames and goals.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Perhaps I didn't give enough detail. The house is my parents, and in the people who live there are Me, Mom, Dad, and dumb a** baby Sister whose on probation. The probation is for a theft charge and my understanding is after a year of unsupervised probation the charge becomes a misdemeanor.

The problem right now is Mom and Dad won't stop nagging me about the guns since Wednesday, when keep in mind my main priority was getting my Jeep fixed so that it wasn't sitting on the side of the road, not to mention 2 jobs and they haven't figured out why I haven't immediately complied and moved everything to my older Sisters. Dad apparently assumed that I'd just do it because he asked politely, and we all know what they say about assuming.

And I have thought about moving out for awhile, my problem now is I'm not getting forced out of my house because of somebody else's stupidity, at least not without a fight.

This casts an entirely different light.

Honor your mother and father. It's their house and until you're able to strike out on your own, you'll have to live by their rules. It sucks and it ain't fair that your sister's mistake(s) are putting you in this situation. But your mom and dad probably think they're doing what's best for their little girl and your guns don't mean squat compared to her.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Mainly cash. I'd like to move out but they have nasty habits of setting unrealistic time frames and goals.

OK........I will be kind here. Or at least try.

It is your parents house. They apparently want to coddle your idiot thief sister and make you comply to the new way of living with them.
    If you can afford guns and a good safe I would think (as a parent mind you) that you could get yourself set up outside the circle of influence and live a free life. That would be my way of looking at this....as a parent....that has kids who are adults....that lived in houses my spouse and I owned.....until my son turned idiot and was sent packing down the road.
    The daughter still lives next door in a house we own.

I would see your parents do not want any confrontations in the house "They Own" from any of the many alphabet agency's that could cause them pain and suffering because your sister is an idiot and they choose to let her stay there. It is their call after all.

I say this as a "Parent".....with kids.....:)

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    One last question. Can I legally store an NFA Item at my sister's house and not face legal consequences? For that matter can I store my other guns there and not face some sort of liability issue if something were to happen.

Top Bottom