Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Can it get any better?

YES IT CAN! GO JACK!!!!

No more scratching a church off your list because you cant carry due to them also having a school on property. Would love to see the language changed to include other church business such as bible study, pitch ins, etc. If I read that right, I am GTG for church, but after the service I would have to go disarm and come back for the pot luck lunch in the fellowship hall afterward.

------------------------
    PRESS RELEASE: Sen. Sandlin Files Church Protection Bill
    STATEHOUSE (Dec. 13, 2017) – State Sen. Jack E. Sandlin (R-Indianapolis) recently filed a bill that would clarify the state code regarding firearms on church property.

Senate Bill 33 would exempt a person from prosecution if, while attending a worship service, they are legally possessing a firearm on church property that also has a school on the property. The bill would also exempt employees or volunteers at the house of worship if they are carrying out their official duties.

Under current law, unauthorized possession of a firearm on school property is a Level 6 felony. This bill would clarify when a person may carry a firearm to a house of worship where a school is part of the church.

“Many law-abiding gun owners drive to church with their firearm in their car or on their person, never intending to commit a felony,” Sandlin said. “Under current law, it’s a felony to do that if there’s also a school on the property. This bill would exempt those people from prosecution and clarify our state code for church properties.”

The Department of Homeland Security has increasingly issued notices to houses of worship that they may be targets. This bill will provide houses of worship additional options that may help secure their facilities.

The legislative session begins Wednesday, Jan. 3.

Matt Werner, Press Secretary
    Senate Majority Communications Office
    200 W. Washington Street|Room 126, Statehouse
    Indianapolis, IN 46204
    (317) 232-9539
    Matt.Werner@iga.in.gov

Jack E. Sandlin MBA CFE CFS CLEO
    Sandlin Private Investigators
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    800-794-3880

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Baby steps. First make it legal when it should be to correct for a very real oversight in an overly broad definition of a GFZ.

Why should it be illegal in an adjacent building when the school building is an empty shell with no poor innocent children to protect against the scary guns? On a Sunday AM, that school building is no different than a closed shopping mall, office building, or other permissible property. No reason that a reasonable person would say that it would need to be protected against the guns; just empty rooms with furniture in them. Frankly, no different than the rest of the church at that point.
    They treat guns like you might treat pork in a mosque or synagogue; so evil, awful, and unclean it is forbidden in the sacred space no matter what.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is "worship service" defined?

That could be the key. I wrote him as soon as I read about it to express my concerns with holes in the language like that. Seems silly that I would be fine sitting in the pew armed, but not able to sit and have fellowship afterward in the same building over a pot luck lunch without taking the gun to my car and securing it per the "parking lot law".

I recommend everyone also write him as well. Senator.Sandlin@iga.in.gov

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've known Jack Sandlin for a long time. If he supports a bill, you can bet he's got a personal stake in it somewhere.

With that being said, my money is on him being catholic and attends one of the parishes with a school.

Glad he he is doing it but it’s sad we couldn’t get this done until it directly impacts a lawmaker personally.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I just heard about this while listening to a recording of Guy's show today. Another move in the right direction. :thumbsup:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sen Sandlin just responded with a thoughtful email.

Currently the language only covers "worship and religious celebrations" but he is open to adjusting/adding to the language to cover other stuff as long as it maintains the current intent.

I suggested expanding it to include "ALL church activities not connected with a school function".

This is the exact text of the bill per his email:

...(B) posses a firearm on school property in connection with or while:
    (i) attending a worship service or religious ceremony conducted at a house of worship...

Last edited:

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I wonder - and need to see full text - a "new" / closer to home - campus of my church is meeting in local Public Intermediate school;
    While not the primary reason I choose to stick w/ and attend main campus ... the fact of leaving my pistol in the car over carrying it into services is a concern
    ... if/when I attend at this location ...

Curious to see how these situations (which are common in NE fishers/Indy area) are dealt with and if they can be included.

I've not seen the text "fully" listed anywhere on any legislation yet.

PistolPastor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2017
    Munster
    This IS good news - especially considering that there's an employee clause and I am applying for LTCH specifically because of my church and we have a preschool.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    No more scratching a church off your list because you cant carry due to them also having a school on property. Would love to see the language changed to include other church business such as bible study, pitch ins, etc. If I read that right, I am GTG for church, but after the service I would have to go disarm and come back for the pot luck lunch in the fellowship hall afterward.

How so? How is the bill worded, such that you would be required to do so? Are not fellowship and breaking bread together part of bona fide religious activities?

ETA: I see "religious ceremony" as a beneficially broad term, that reasonably includes potluck dinners after worship service. But, either way, just be sure to "volunteer" at every church event you attend, and you remain "good to go":

11 (6) A person who:
    12 (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    13 (B) possesses a firearm on school property in connection
    14 with or while:
    15 (i) attending a worship service or religious ceremony
    16 conducted at a house of worship located on the school
    17 property; or
    18 (ii) carrying out the person's official duties at a house of
    19 worship located on the school property, if the person is
    20 employed by or a volunteer at the house of worship

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Email reply from Senator Sandlin, in response to this question:

I have a question for clarification regarding intended scope. Is it your intent for the change only to protect churchgoers during formal worship services and ceremonies (weddings, funerals, etc.), or for all church activities within its premises (e.g. Bible studies, potluck dinners, etc.)?

Senator Sandlin's reply:

Chip,

Thank you for the Email and I appreciate your support.

The intent is to cover all activities at the church. The current language should work to accomplish this.

Thank you again for contacting me and your attention to detail. I will be sure to keep your contact info. Feel free to contact me again about this or any other matter.

Sincerely,

Jack E. Sandlin
    Indiana State Senator
    District 36

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Reassuring. He seems committed to the cause, so lets hope it makes it through.

And the "scratching off a church" comment is referring to today's climate where we cannot carry at every church even on Sunday when school is out because the state still considers the empty building a school.

Top Bottom