Attorney recommendations for LTC appeal meeting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeffreedom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2017
    Angola
    I went to renew my LTC permit and because I had recently been to a shrink it has become my worst nightmare. I went to the Dr. to discuss some sleeping problems I was having and she diagnosed me with anxiety/depression. I did what I thought was the right thing and answered honestly on my renewal. At that point they wanted a letter from the Dr. saying I had no "propensity".... It seems Dr.s dont want to write letters like this for fear of liability. I understand the logic behind this legislation but they really need to find a better process. I have no criminal record or anything that should throw red flags so I now need representation that knows how to fight the "propensity" rejection. Any leads appreciated.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Guy Relford without question. This is what he lives for. And he won’t take your case unless he feels you can absolutely win, and he’ll make it happen.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    That really sucks. Hate that it could discourage others from getting help for an extremely common and treatable issue. I hope you win your case.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm sorry to hear this, hope you can get it fixed.

This is another example of how the government will supposedly acknowledge that we have the "right" to (fill in the blank), BUT.....
    Then the lawmakers pile on a labyrinth of "dis-qualifiers" that restrict who actually can exercise a "right".

I can see where one day in the future, we'll still be told we have the right to keep and bear arms, but there will be so many "dis-qualifiers" that few people will actually be able to keep and bear arms in REAL life.

Think for example of how much of the Bill of Rights is being systematically attacked by those who would rob us of our rights, using this technique

Jeffreedom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2017
    Angola
    I'm sorry to hear this, hope you can get it fixed.

This is another example of how the government will supposedly acknowledge that we have the "right" to (fill in the blank), BUT.....
    Then the lawmakers pile on a labyrinth of "dis-qualifiers" that restrict who actually can exercise a "right".

I can see where one day in the future, we'll still be told we have the right to keep and bear arms, but there will be so many "dis-qualifiers" that few people will actually be able to keep and bear arms in REAL life.

Think for example of how much of the Bill of Rights is being systematically attacked by those who would rob us of our rights, using this technique
    You speak the truth. I sincerely understand the logic behind this statute but with the current "propensity" guidelines they're using it's a case of you're GUILTY until you can prove otherwise. Dr.'s won't sign the letter the ISP wants for fear of repercussions in the event an individual has an "event". And many people in this situation simply don't have the funds needed to pursue an appeal. I'm one who doesn't really have the funds but I'm willing to go a little in debt to protect the freedom that helps ensuring the safety of myself and my family,especially when traveling.
    What they fail to realize through all this is that one of two things is going to occur as a result of their current approach, 1) People who really need help won't go to the Dr. 2)People will just lie on the form so they don't have to deal with the "guilty plea". And I'd really like to know the last nutcase who checked his LTC status before he went out and got "postal".
    I'm actually a hobbyist photographer on the side. I do volunteer work for the local recovery organizations,the city,our school football team, and even the local fundraiser softball game between Police vs Fire Dept. So if you want to talk about a swift kick in the sack, I'm feeling it. And without resentment nonetheless. I understand this problem is a direct result of societies fear and inability to think something through before launching. I mean, they probably had something more important to deal with like deciding whether there should be funding for flowers along the side of I-69. And that's my take. Somehow they really got away with giving us the shaft,and they convinced a society of fear with a veil of deception. You know, same ol sh@t,different day!

Jeffreedom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2017
    Angola
    UPDATE!! I did indeed retain Guy Relford. Tried to get a letter from my physician but she wouldn't because of an article she read about liability. Then had to hire someone to give a test that pretty much did a full phych evaluation through a test. Hour and a half for $400. I passed with flying colors and got the letter I needed to send to the ISP. Guy($500) + Psych eval($400)= APPROVED. Serious headache and almost a year later but I prevailed while doing the right thing= PRICELESS! Feel bad for someone who might not have the means to pursue the appeal but it is achievable.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    It is unfortunate that it cost you $$$ because you tried to do the right thing. However, in this environment, everyone is too careful to err on the side of caution.

Top Bottom