That STUPID Chinese throwing star thing.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    35-47-5-12

Sec. 12 . (a) A person who:
    (1) manufactures;

(2) causes to be manufactured;

(3) imports into Indiana;

(4) keeps for sale;

(5) offers or exposes for sale;  or

(6) gives, lends, or possesses;

a Chinese throwing star commits a Class C misdemeanor.

(b) As used in this section, “Chinese throwing star” means a throwing-knife, throwing-iron, or other knife-like weapon with blades set at different angles.

Is there any way we can throw a rider on some other bill to remove this embarrassment. This was a knee jerk reaction to the "Ninja Craze" of the 80s.

I emailed Lucas but he said his plate was pretty full with the other stuff.

Chapter 5 is getting very empty anyway.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Hmmmmm. There are more around than just Lucas.
    It does sound weird. I mean they used to be sold in all kinds of places. Just figured that they were not selling so no one carried them anymore.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Anytime you start to have too much faith in our government, just think that this was made a crime based off of those totally terribly awesome ninja movies.

Also, contemplate that I once saw criminal charges tendered by a police officer for possessing a simple throwing knife. He believed even it was a violation under the throwing star statute because it had sharp edges on both sides of the blade...
    391783.jpg

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I found they just had sharp points and not blades it would seem legal. Basically a set of nails set at angles. Or spikes as brought up earlier. No blades. Just spikes and maybe make them like a ball round instead of flat.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    IC:35-47-5-12.b said:
    As used in this section, “Chinese throwing star” means a throwing-knife, throwing-iron, or other knife-like weapon with blades set at different angles.

I might be inclined to read this as including horseshoes used for the purpose of a game of skill (as opposed to those for shoeing horses)...
    Maybe there's a way to garner support for repeal.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I might be inclined to read this as including horseshoes used for the purpose of a game of skill (as opposed to those for shoeing horses)...
    It should have been fixed when they repealed the switchblade law, but for some reason wasn't. That throwing star statute is widely considered to be a joke within law enforcement, although I did once see someone with a conviction on their record for it.

I have been talking to a local representative about some legislation, I will mention it to him and see what his thoughts are.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I saw them in some store a while back (I do not remember where) and asked about the legality. They said they sold them all the time.

When I remodeled my bathroom I found one behind the vanity. I kept it for a while. Then [STRIKE]threw it away[/STRIKE] I put it in the garbage because I didn't want to take any chance that it would ruin my record.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I found they just had sharp points and not blades it would seem legal. Basically a set of nails set at angles. Or spikes as brought up earlier. No blades. Just spikes and maybe make them like a ball round instead of flat.
    When we were kids, a couple cousins were great at making paper stars weighted with coins and tipped with stick pins pilfered from their mom’s sewing box. They didn’t last long, but could stick in a dartboard pretty well.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Not unless you're setting blades in them.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Liberty Bell Flea Market used to have plenty of booths with them. I believe they were labeled as Chinese paper weights. often beveled on one side and flat on the opposite. Same with the "belt buckle brass knuckles".

Speaking of, is liberty bell still open?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Not unless you're setting blades in them.

Come now, there has been plenty of legal precedence on interpretation of the oxford comma in lists.

This statute, as worded, clearly defines “Chinese throwing star” as a:
    throwing-knife,
    throwing-iron,
    or other knife-like weapon with blades set at different angles.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    When did they become illegal? I remember back in the early 80's when I was but a youngster, there was a martial arts store in Clarksville where we bought them. We ended up losing most of them in the first week or two. Cheap stamped steel, not hardened or anything so if you did hone a decent point, it got dulled in no time. Not sure exactly what they were good for...

Top Bottom