• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Finna

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Lake County,Indiana
    Last month I purchased a new firearm did the paperwork and the seller after submitting info told me I had to wait for at least five days before I could accept the firearm. I said ok and two days later he said come in and pick it up. I always thought if you had a license to carry you were able to purchase without the wait. Then I received this in my email yesterday from the NRA. At the second to the last paragraph it says. My question is has this just changed or can they still delay the purchase?

Yesterday, January 24[SUP]th[/SUP], the Indiana House Public Policy Committee passed House Bill 1424 with a vote of 12-1. Sponsored by Representative Timothy Wesco (R-21), the legislation as passed from the committee would extend the duration of the regular License to Carry a Handgun (LCTH) to five years and remove fees for lifetime licenses.
    On the Senate side, the Judiciary Committee passed Senate Bill 237 with a 7-0 vote. Sponsored by Senator Rodric Bray (R-37), SB 237 would also extend the duration of a 4-year LCTH to five years. It brings Indiana back into compliance with federal regulations to allow the LTCH to qualify as an alternative to the NICS check.
    Both of these bills have the NICS exemption language, which would ensure that law-abiding permit holders who have been fully vetted and have undergone a NICS check to purchase or receive a firearm from a firearm dealer without the delays sometimes associated with a NICS check. The permit itself acts as verification that the holder has undergone a background check and is neither prohibited under state or federal law from possessing a firearm.
    Your NRA will keep you updated on these bills as they continue to move through the legislature. Stay tuned to [url]www.nraila.org[/URL] and your email inbox for further updates on issues affecting your Second Amendment and hunting rights in Indiana.​

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Last month I purchased a new firearm did the paperwork and the seller after submitting info told me I had to wait for at least five days before I could accept the firearm. I said ok and two days later he said come in and pick it up. I always thought if you had a license to carry you were able to purchase without the wait. Then I received this in my email yesterday from the NRA. At the second to the last paragraph it says. My question is has this just changed or can they still delay the purchase?

Yesterday, January 24[SUP]th[/SUP], the Indiana House Public Policy Committee passed House Bill 1424 with a vote of 12-1. Sponsored by Representative Timothy Wesco (R-21), the legislation as passed from the committee would extend the duration of the regular License to Carry a Handgun (LCTH) to five years and remove fees for lifetime licenses.
    On the Senate side, the Judiciary Committee passed Senate Bill 237 with a 7-0 vote. Sponsored by Senator Rodric Bray (R-37), SB 237 would also extend the duration of a 4-year LCTH to five years. It brings Indiana back into compliance with federal regulations to allow the LTCH to qualify as an alternative to the NICS check.
    Both of these bills have the NICS exemption language, which would ensure that law-abiding permit holders who have been fully vetted and have undergone a NICS check to purchase or receive a firearm from a firearm dealer without the delays sometimes associated with a NICS check. The permit itself acts as verification that the holder has undergone a background check and is neither prohibited under state or federal law from possessing a firearm.
    Your NRA will keep you updated on these bills as they continue to move through the legislature. Stay tuned to http://www.nraila.org/www.nraila.org and your email inbox for further updates on issues affecting your Second Amendment and hunting rights in Indiana.​
    Waiting for 5 days sounds unconstitutional. See the link below.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...diana-constitutional-carry-hb1022-2018-a.html

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As it stands now, the LTCH has nothing to do with the NICS checked needed to purchase from an FFL.

The bill, as it has been changed, and if enacted as law, would allow NEW 5 year LTCH holders to purchase without the NICS check because (essentially) a full federal NICS check, in addition to what the state does, would be required for the 5 year license. This only applies to NEW 5 year licenses (or NEW renewals) because under the current law, a full federal background search is not done. The feds do not waive the NICS check under any circumstances for lifetime LTCH holders.

Yes, there are some technicalities, but that's the big picture.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    At some point, up until the late 90's, our LTCH did get you out of the NICS check.

In the hearing they said it was until some changes code were made in 2003 ... on what the background check for the LTCH entailed ... this was the case.

Paging Kirk ... Kirk Freeman ... (he has the full 411 on this) ... it is largely "before my time".

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    At one time the Indiana LTCH exempted you from a "Brady Bill" NICS background check, but Indiana only checked Indiana records and ATF said that did not meet their criteria for exemption and therefore was no longer allowed for an exemption, so we are out. New proposed 5 year LTCH would go through NICS check and would allow purchase without further background check. But ATF only allows that exemption to be good for 5 years before rechecking, thus the reason for the new 5 year LTCH. Lifetime LTCH does not qualify for exemption because NICS was not done at time of issue and it is good for more than the ATF imposed 5 year limit.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I should add this - during testitmony - both in the HB1424 and SB237 - Guy made suggestion that they offer a 5 yr certification that can be added to the Lifetime LTCH, to make it Brady Exempt.
    Word on the street is this is being strongly considered for addition at "second reading" - provided they get there (the HB might be cut in ways and means committee).

This give Lifetime LTCH holders an option to be NICS exempt.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I should add this - during testitmony - both in the HB1424 and SB237 - Guy made suggestion that they offer a 5 yr certification that can be added to the Lifetime LTCH, to make it Brady Exempt.
    Word on the street is this is being strongly considered for addition at "second reading" - provided they get there (the HB might be cut in ways and means committee).

This give Lifetime LTCH holders an option to be NICS exempt.

I guess it would be marginally more convenient for frequent buyers and maybe good for those with a name that gets flagged and delayed, but I'm not interested. My NICS checks have always been quick and easy.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I thought that law still applies

Not for quite a few years, but it varies state by state - I think they reported that 20 or 27 other states have taken advantage of this and allow this for their license/permit holders.

I guess it would be marginally more convenient for frequent buyers and maybe good for those with a name that gets flagged and delayed, but I'm not interested. My NICS checks have always been quick and easy.

I agree 100%; and certainly not something I'm going to pay for.

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS

+1

Did have a delay due to volume once for a day. Blame Obama for that one.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the bump Finna. We are getting closer to the General Assembly session starting. Maybe we'll get free t-shirts from the nanny-state elitist with a private security army? No, that's the other side. We'll have the same inmates running the asylum...

Top Bottom