Senate Bill 216, Storage of firearms at public venues.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Maybe I'm not reading this right, but I'm not sure this is much of an advancement.

...and where do I get a "valid Indiana handgun permit"?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Maybe I'm not reading this right, but I'm not sure this is much of an advancement.

...and where do I get a "valid Indiana handgun permit"?

Or a "handgun permit from a state sharing a reciprocity agreement with Indiana". What states again does IN have a reciprocity agreement with?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    All of them.

Nope. None of them. We statutorily recognize all other states and foreign govts license to carry, but we do not have a reciprocity agreement with any. And there is nothing in the IC to allow/provide for one to be put into place.

ETA Heck we don't have reciprocity with all of the states, let alone an agreement. We have reciprocity (both states recognize the others license/permit) with 30 some states, but none by a reciprocity agreement.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Why do we want agreements/laws/rules telling us what we can do?!

I didn't say we/I do. I'm wondering why in the heck they put in the part about "handgun permit from a state sharing a reciprocity agreement with Indiana" in this bill. When we have no reciprocity agreement with any other state, and there is nothing in the IC or this bill or any other bill that I've seen to provide/allow for one. All that would be needed at the most would be something along the lines of "holds a license/permit that is recognized by the State of Indiana".

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I think this is a response to venues such as Lucas Oil Stadium barring off-duty and most on-duty officers from carrying in the venue (NFL Rule at football games, IIRC). As the House and Senate are screaming toward second reading deadlines, and the committee report deadline has come and gone, this is dead for this year.

I cannot see any way that the moneyed interests who a) control the bigger venues and b) have contempt for their fans would ever let this pass. I'm sure there is a lot of behind-the-scenes lobbying to kill this kind of initiative.

When I say contempt for the fans, I specifically think of requiring fans to carry in their belongings in clear plastic bags, for example. For "safety," you know.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I find it funny that this is similar to something I've suggested to each "Security" Director for major venues in the area. They've basically chuckled and told me, "Good luck with that, pal."

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have never been a fan of asking the Govt. for permission to do anything simply because they have never asked me for permission to pass laws that clearly violate the U.S. Constitution - and then reach into my wallet to pay for it...... We do not work for these people - they work for us.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think this is a response to venues such as Lucas Oil Stadium barring off-duty and most on-duty officers from carrying in the venue (NFL Rule at football games, IIRC). As the House and Senate are screaming toward second reading deadlines, and the committee report deadline has come and gone, this is dead for this year.

I cannot see any way that the moneyed interests who a) control the bigger venues and b) have contempt for their fans would ever let this pass. I'm sure there is a lot of behind-the-scenes lobbying to kill this kind of initiative.

When I say contempt for the fans, I specifically think of requiring fans to carry in their belongings in clear plastic bags, for example. For "safety," you know.

Yet there is a sniper in the damn rafters!

Super-Bowl-sniper-1-300x225.jpg

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    My point is that Indiana recognizes "permits" from all the other states.

Yes we do. But that isn't what this bill (and others) say. It specifically states "a state sharing a reciprocity agreement with Indiana" which there are none. Words have meaning, especially when those words may become codified law.

Yet there is a sniper in the damn rafters!

Super-Bowl-sniper-1-300x225.jpg

And the sniper who's rifle that is, and that took that picture is a member here.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Ah. I see. I wasn't tracking. I thought you were asking what other states residents can carry in Indiana. My bad.

No problem. In this bill it may or may not be a problem if it was signed and passed. And if it was a problem, the worst would be an out of state carrier having to return it to their car. But the same or similar wording is in other bills as well.

Last edited:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I didn't bother to read it since this bill is dead this session, but it would be progress to be able to check your pistol at the door when you get summoned to the city-county-building etc. Probably wishful thinking to think .gov would apply this to themselves instead of just private venues.

Top Bottom