Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 199 of 205 FirstFirst ... 99 149 189 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,990 of 2045

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2A_Tom View Post
    It is OK. It should be linked to the voting age. along with the draft age.

If the Democrats want to lower the voting age to 16 then the draft age and the age of majority to buy, own and carry a handgun go right along with it
    If youíre old enough to be conscripted, youíre old enough to vote, drink, smoke, own firearms, and drive a rental car. Okay. Maybe not the rental car. Thatís probably going too far.
    I have spoken.
    If youíre woke you dig it.

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamil View Post
    If youíre old enough to be conscripted, youíre old enough to get an ID and vote, drink, smoke, own firearms, and drive a rental car. Okay. Maybe not the rental car. Thatís probably going too far.
    FTFY
    It is a mistake to judge policies and programs by intentions rather than results.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phase2 View Post
    FTFY
    Well, thanks, but no, you didn't fix it. I said it the way I meant it. My statement wasn't about voter ID. It was about being consistent with a legal acknowledgement of the age of maturity, and thus the intersection of the age at which rights become legally protected with the age at which one becomes eligible to take responsibility for defending his country. If you're mature enough to protect your countrymen's rights against foreign enemies, you're mature enough to have your country protect the same rights domestically. That discussion stands apart from the discussion of rules for voting.

But if you want to talk about that topic...
    I have spoken.

Master

User Info Menu

Well, thanks, but no, you didn't fix it. I said it the way I meant it. My statement wasn't about voter ID. It was about being consistent with a legal acknowledgement of the age of maturity, and thus the intersection of the age at which rights become legally protected with the age at which one becomes eligible to take responsibility for defending his country. If you're mature enough to protect your countrymen's rights against foreign enemies, you're mature enough to have your country protect the same rights domestically. That discussion stands apart from the discussion of rules for voting.

But if you want to talk about that topic...
    You read it wrong. Having an ID is required for most all of the acts you listed. Voting is an exception that shouldn't exist.
    It is a mistake to judge policies and programs by intentions rather than results.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GodFearinGunTotin View Post
    Yeah...if only we could get folks to see analogies and be consistent in their beliefs, like he tries to do here:

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6136225112001#sp=show-clips
    Consistency works both ways. If voter ID suppresses minorities right to vote, an ID required to do anything suppresses whatever the thing is that it's required to do. If you need an ID to vote, and that requirement suppresses your right to vote, and you need an ID to ****, then logically it would suppress the right to ****.

But then expand that to firearms. Obviously if it suppresses one thing, it either suppresses the other thing as well, or neither. So then, if you're going to argue in favor of voter ID, and that it doesn't suppress the right to vote, then it makes it hard to argue that requiring an ID to do other things suppresses that thing. Like ****ing. Or the right to own and carry firearms.

You can't argue that requiring ID does not suppress the right to do one while arguing that it does suppress the right to do the other. So you have to decide whether you really want consistency, or you really want the law to be what you most care about, without regard for principle or consistency.
    I have spoken.

User Info Menu

You read it wrong. Having an ID is required for most all of the acts you listed. Voting is an exception that shouldn't exist.
    When I posted that, I had the video in mind that GFGT posted. If you think ID should be required to do all those things, then you can have your cake and eat it too. I do like that the guy brought up the gun argument. And the gentlemen that took issue with it did not understand that the discussion was not about guns, but was primarily about making them own the inconsistency of their positions.

They were arguing that requiring ID to vote disenfranchises black people's right to vote. But then the congressman made them essentially admit it's not really about requiring the ID to exercise a right, because they didn't give a **** if it was required to exercise rights they don't care about. I wish he would have made that point clearer when the guy at the end insisted that hearing was about voter rights. If you really think voter ID suppresses rights. Be consistent or STFU.
    I have spoken.

Master

User Info Menu

Be consistent or STFU.
    ??? Here, have a Snickers bar.

Last edited by Phase2; 02-27-2020 at 09:49. Reason: Rethought my comment

User Info Menu

I think he was speaking in general, not about you personally.

User Info Menu

??? When you ban me from the site, then I'll STFU.
    Perhaps you misunderstood. I'm not saying you're inconsistent. I was saying the people on that panel in the video that GFGT were inconsistent for not agreeing that if it's disenfranchising to require ID to vote, it's disenfranchising to require ID to exercise any right. If you say it's only disenfranchising for one, it's not consistent.
    I have spoken.

User Info Menu

Calm down. No one's telling YOU to STFU.

I have spoken.