Should we be concerned purchasing new AR's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Greetings guys. Have a quick question that I hoped to get guidance on. I am currently looking to purchase a couple of AR15 rifles. One is quite expensive and the other just basic. Should there be any concern with recent events that I could buy these rifles today and then there is legislation that affects ownership of this type of rifle and then somehow I am out the money? What would happen if they decided to make "assault style rifles" no longer able to be purchased? Would those that already own the rifles be grandfathered in and be allowed to keep them?

I understand this is hypothetical and conjecture, but just wanted to see what INGO thinks will/might happen. Thank you for any/all responses.

:ingo:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The bill the Dems just introduced doesn't outlaw owning it. But you would not be allowed to sell it to someone else.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I would not worry about it, in fact, I would buy it if I wanted it. It is the most popular rifle in America, they can't come and take them all, and you don't have to worry about getting one if you already have it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Hopefully...the democrats have over played their hand again. If the sentiment is sill anything like 1994 (which is certainly no guarantee) pushing this bill should drive people to the polls this fall and fire more democrats from office. Hopefully, I said.

If you're wanting one, buy one or two FWJK. If you're not already, join the NRA while you're at it too. Numbers speak.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Greetings guys. Have a quick question that I hoped to get guidance on. I am currently looking to purchase a couple of AR15 rifles. One is quite expensive and the other just basic. Should there be any concern with recent events that I could buy these rifles today and then there is legislation that affects ownership of this type of rifle and then somehow I am out the money? What would happen if they decided to make "assault style rifles" no longer able to be purchased? Would those that already own the rifles be grandfathered in and be allowed to keep them?

I understand this is hypothetical and conjecture, but just wanted to see what INGO thinks will/might happen. Thank you for any/all responses.

Allowed to keep them? That would be interesting.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    The bill the Dems just introduced doesn't outlaw owning it. But you would not be allowed to sell it to someone else.

Actually, the text of the Assault Weapon Ban of 2018 doesn't say that.

https://www.scribd.com/document/372469353/Assault-Weapons-Ban-of-2018

[FONT=&amp]Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]20[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]sale, or transfer of any semiautomatic assault weapon oth-[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]21[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]erwise lawfully possessed under Federal law on the date[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]22[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]of enactment of the Assault Weapons Ban of 2018.[/FONT]

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

[FONT=&amp]20[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]21[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]22[/FONT]
    That wasn't what the article I read said. It said it would prevent any transfer. But it isn't hard to imagine the article being incorrect.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The problem with the Dems is that they think there are rules....... Like the ones that worked so well for drugs and alcohol. You go back Jack - and do it again..... :rolleyes:

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville

[FONT=&amp]20[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]21[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]22[/FONT]

Good Lord I could only imagine the stampede to buy one before enactment if it passed. The post-Sandy Hook panic would look like a Black Friday sale.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Allowed to keep them? That would be interesting.
    ^^THIS^^
    Allowed? Sorry as an American this "allowed" is a new concept to me.
    Each person has to draw their own line in the sand but for me the day I hand something over willingly [besides taxes and my time for jury duty] to the govt will be ... never.
    It's your right man, buy buy buy and never surrender your guns. Watch the movie patriot with Mel Gibson. If recommend others too but I don't remember names of movies.

Oh and call and email your congress critters tomorrow. Tell them not to support any new gun regulations

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Easiest bet to still be safe and not rush your final purchase is to pick up a few stripped lowers and stick them away. You'll have lots of options down the road to build on these, buy complete guns and sell the stripped lowers, etc.

Joe_BSpartan.png

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land

Considering the MILLIONS of them in citizens hands, and the vast overreach of this bill in an election year, HIGHLY doubt this goes anywhere. Buy your rifles. and do so before the prices SKY rocket.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Like the other members have said, buy now while cheap and buy plenty of ammo. They will go back up in price at some point.

Dave

Very true. Buy buy buy always. I've bought more under Trump than i ever did under Obama. Buy low!

Please everyone I can't stress enough to contact your elected officials from the state level up to the president.
    Politicians are creatures of public opinion even though their oath is to the law.
    Also join and donate to the NRA today while membership is on sale.
    NRA show comes back to Indy in 2019 and you get in free with a membership

Top Bottom