• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The Mayor needs to show his leadership on the issue by removing ALL armed security that guards HIM.
    Then he should just go about his business by himself with no weapons as his own man like he says we should do.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    One can't help but wonder why?

Not really. Social work is in. Police work is old and busted.

The New York Post reports that armed officers in schools are being jettisoned in light of “Mayor de Blasio’s new community policing units.” Such units “will visit schools while patrolling the neighborhood” but full-time, designated school assignments are over.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

The New York Postreports that armed officers in schools are being jettisoned in light of “Mayor de Blasio’s new community policing units.” Such units “will visit schools while patrolling the neighborhood” but full-time, designated school assignments are over.
    But the whole country is trying to find a way to get police into the schools, so in response he pulls them out. The timing just seems odd, unless it is merely to thumb his nose at the idea because Trump is peddling it now.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    New Yorkers overwhelmingly voted for this guy. Apparently they don't want kids in school to have a chance against violence.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    We never had police in school. I don't think police have to be or should be in school for the students discipline. Well maybe some inner city schools.
    Police can always be called if needed but if it's just two kids fighting that doesn't warrant a cop.
    However to protect schools I do think police are needed and should be there. And any other armed means, teachers, ECT.
    But they shouldn't be there to interact with the kids, unless a kid is shooting up the school. Just my opinion. I just don't think we need kids feeling like cops are always watching them. I wouldn't have wanted that as a student nor do I want that now.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    But the whole country is trying to find a way to get police into the schools, so in response he pulls them out. The timing just seems odd, unless it is merely to thumb his nose at the idea because Trump is peddling it now.

He pulled the last ones out, apparently these guys have been being reassigned long before the current events could have been the motivator.

The once-common practice of putting an armed cop in schools waned in the 1990s. All were gradually eliminated, but Francis Lewis, one of the biggest high schools, slipped by. Bayside and Benjamin Cardozo high schools also recently lost their full-time NYPD officers, according to parents.Espinet is one of the last — if not the last — school cop to go.
    “I’m not aware of any other school with a full-time police officer assigned to it,” said Lt. John Grimpel, an NYPD spokesman.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    1700 schools to each have a cop is a whole freaking department of another major metro city? That ****’s expensive! NYPD’s School Unit would be larger than most cities’ entire police force! What’s IMPD’s sworn staff, 1500or so? It’s not a sustainable presence financially.

SirLiftsALatte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    We never had police in school. I don't think police have to be or should be in school for the students discipline. Well maybe some inner city schools.
    Police can always be called if needed but if it's just two kids fighting that doesn't warrant a cop.
    However to protect schools I do think police are needed and should be there. And any other armed means, teachers, ECT.
    But they shouldn't be there to interact with the kids, unless a kid is shooting up the school. Just my opinion. I just don't think we need kids feeling like cops are always watching them. I wouldn't have wanted that as a student nor do I want that now.

My initial instinct is to do the opposite of whatever NYC does, but I can see the logic in your comments. Do we really want a generation of kids growing up in a quasi police state, constantly under surveillance? Especially given government's tendencies to intrude into the lives of the citizens? I would say not. Add to that the fact that it's not realistic financially to pay a cop to be in every school in the country, because statistically a school shooting is extremely unlikely. Therefore armed teachers, administrators, and coaches may be the most viable option.

Rbooher7526

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    Indianapolis
    NYPD Removing Armed Officers from Schools

So Mayor Big Bird has decided to remove the police presence that they have had in their schools...
    One can't help but wonder why?
    Same guy who limits the size soda you can buy. The saddest part is the citizens put up with it. If there ever is a shooting in one of his schools, I'm sure he has a list of whose fault to make it.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

The New York Postreports that armed officers in schools are being jettisoned in light of “Mayor de Blasio’s new community policing units.” Such units “will visit schools while patrolling the neighborhood” but full-time, designated school assignments are over.

I can't tell from the article, but given that it is a government project, I'll bet the cops are being removed well in advance of the "community policing units" arrival, leaving a big gap in "protection."

Although I suppose the "community policing units" are probably armed with some kind of demerit cards or civil citation books for any microaggressions they observe, so doesn't matter.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    1700 schools to each have a cop is a whole freaking department of another major metro city? That ****’s expensive! NYPD’s School Unit would be larger than most cities’ entire police force! What’s IMPD’s sworn staff, 1500or so? It’s not a sustainable presence financially.

NYPD has over 36,000 sworn police officers. The NYPD as a whole is larger than the population of Mishawaka.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

I work as an SRO for an 11-12 grade alternative high school. I do assist security, and I will break up fights, but my main job is to protect the students and staff, and to take police action when necessary. I interact with the kids, and try to give them a positive example of what law enforcement is. The sad reality is that many of my kids live in rough areas, and a lot of them have a very negative view of LE. Sometimes I'll go in the gym and shoot hoops with them and joke around. I'm trying to break down the "us vs. them" mentality.

The school corporation pays us, not the department, so funding is coming from the education fund. I'm not sure how it is in NYC.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I work as an SRO for an 11-12 grade alternative high school. I do assist security, and I will break up fights, but my main job is to protect the students and staff, and to take police action when necessary. I interact with the kids, and try to give them a positive example of what law enforcement is. The sad reality is that many of my kids live in rough areas, and a lot of them have a very negative view of LE. Sometimes I'll go in the gym and shoot hoops with them and joke around. I'm trying to break down the "us vs. them" mentality.

The school corporation pays us, not the department, so funding is coming from the education fund. I'm not sure how it is in NYC.

The rep gods won't let me rep again yet but you deserve some. You're one of the good ones. I'm sure you're kindness has made an impact on a few lives at least and that's a big win! Thank you

Top Bottom