Donnelley Supports the Second Amendment, Sort of . . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I sent a form email message to Senator Joe Donnelly, urging him to oppose the current anti-gun movement that demands the ban of "assault rifles" and the closure of "loopholes" in gun acquisition procedures. Today I received this electronic reply. His reply was encouraging in some ways, but concerning in others. Here is the text of his reply. My thoughts follow his reply.

March 20, 2018

Dear
    [Bapak2ja],

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about Second Amendment rights. Like you, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, and I have consistently voted to protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners. Like responsible gun owners, however, I believe it is reasonable for all of us to consider ways to reduce gun violence and protect public safety.

I have always recognized that the overwhelming majority of gun owners exercise their Second Amendment rights in a responsible and law-abiding manner. My concern has never been with those who follow the law, but with those who do not. For this reason, I have opposed proposals to ban firearms commonly referred to as assault weapons and continued my longtime support for national recognition of Indiana licenses to carry.

We also must recognize, however, that individuals with criminal records, serious mental illnesses, or who wish to commit acts of terrorism continue to obtain firearms by exploiting loopholes and deficiencies in current law, and in the process, are endangering the lives of others. Whether a gun owner or not, we all can agree that we can take steps to reduce violent crime without sacrificing the rights of law-abiding gun owners.

As your Senator, I will continue to closely follow this issue. Should Congress consider relevant legislation, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page, follow me on Twitter, or visit my website. Please note when contacting my Senate office that I am only able to respond to questions or concerns related to official Senate business. As such, this letter addresses the issues you raised, which relate to my work in the United States Senate.

I appreciated the reply. Of course, it is a form message, doubtless written by a low-level staff member; but at least Donnelly has made arrangements for his office to respond to his constituency. I find the following points in his message encouraging.

1. He supports the Second Amendment, and recognizes that most gun owners are reasonable and handle their firearms safely within the confines of the law.
    2. He has opposed proposals to ban "assault weapons."
    3. He continues to support national recognition of the Indiana LTCH.
    4. He welcomes our input.
    5. He wants to decrease gun violence and increase public safety.

I am concerned about the following aspects of his message.
    1. He does not take note of the fact that gun violence has been decreasing for the last decade (approximately) and that this decrease coincides with the expansion of the recognition of the Second Amendment rights of the citizens to carry firearms for self-defense.
    2. While he wants to take steps to reduce the availability of guns to criminals, the mentally ill, and terrorists, he does not recognize or acknowledge that existing laws already are sufficient to prevent these dangerous people from obtaining firearms.
    3. He seems to believe there are still "loopholes" in the laws, but does not acknowledge that the major "loophole" has been in the lack of active participation of the military, the FBI, and local law enforcement agencies in enforcing these existing laws.
    4. He appears to be open to the idea of new laws to reduce the ability of good citizens to obtain firearms without increased government interference.

Will this reply affect your vote in the next senatorial election? If so, how?

SirLiftsALatte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    What is his voting record on gun rights?

If i had to guess, it seems that what his letter actually says is "I'm a Democrat in an election year, in a red state that Trump won easily. I'm trying to appear moderate enough to get reelected."

I'd say that his letter is no reason to not try to replace him with a truly liberty minded person.

:twocents:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The devil is always in the parsed details. For example, he can be against "assault weapons" bans and with a proud smile on his face be all for raising the age of purchasing those things to 21. I don't trust him.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Standard democrat wanting to be re-elected pandering to the crowd who says one thing to make them happy, then turns full democrat when the vote is over and he goes back to congress voting the party line. Vote him out so he doesn't get the opportunity!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The devil is always in the parsed details. For example, he can be against "assault weapons" bans and with a proud smile on his face be all for raising the age of purchasing those things to 21. I don't trust him.

Honestly I trust none of them. Not a one. If there is position/power/money involved we loose.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I got the exact same response when I emailed him.

He won't be getting my vote in Nov., no matter who is opponent is.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I got the exact same response when I emailed him.

He won't be getting my vote in Nov., no matter who is opponent is.

This is what we have to do to get these people out of there. I have even crossed party lines. Do what needs to be done to fix this career politician machine.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Donnelley voted for gun control after Sandy Hook along with all the other democrats. Back then he wasn't up for re-election. He will do the exact same thing if he get re-elected. I wouldn't vote for him unless they run another nutjob against him like they did last time.

SirLiftsALatte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    This is what we have to do to get these people out of there. I have even crossed party lines. Do what needs to be done to fix this career politician machine.

Yup. Did some quick reading, and it appears Donnelly got elected because he was running against the guy who finally primaried out Dick freakin' Lugar. If Lugar does not fit the definition of a career politician, I don't know who does.

I'd much rather deal with ousting Donnelly than Lugar.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I'm bitter you got an actual reply (even if not written by Donnelly himself)! I emailed Donnelly, Young, and Messer (Rep for my area). Messer was the only one who actually replied. I got a bs confirmation from Donnelly. Young and Messer gave an automated confirmation as well, but it states they will send replies soon. Young just signed up my email for his newsletter. A few days after my email, Messer did send an actual reply, which sounded more like bragging about his stance on the 2A, but it was along the same lines as what you received from Donnelly with pro-2A stuff he voted for.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    OP, copy the first paragraph of his response and paste it into the search box. You will find the exact same response sent to others as far back as 2014. Don't trust a thing he says.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Bad thing is most Republicans, with mass majorities in the Indiana senate and house, can't pass a single piece of pro gun legislation. More worried about Sunday sales and CBD oils than pro 2a legislation. All politicians are absolutely worthless! This is just my humble opinion however.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This is what I got from bail-out Joe concerning CC Reciprocity. Notice how in a whole single-spaced page he actually says nothing. It's also a bit of a leap I'm a friend.

December 4, 2017​
    Dear Friend,​
    Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding S. 446, the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 . Like you, I believe this is an issue that deserves thoughtful consideration.
    Whether a gun owner or not, we can all agree that we can take steps to reduce violent crime without sacrificing the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. I have always recognized that the overwhelming majority of gun owners exercise their Second Amendment rights in a responsible and law-abiding manner.
    As you may know, all fifty states and the District of Columbia allow for individuals to carry concealed handguns if they meet certain criteria. Currently, laws related to concealed carry are enacted at the state level and vary between individual states. Indiana, in addition to issuing carry permits to Hoosiers and certain non-residents, recognizes all carry permits issued by other states. While many states also recognize Indiana permits, 18 states, including Illinois, do not honor carry permits issued by Indiana.
    The Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act was introduced in the Senate on February 27, 2017. If enacted into law, this bill would authorize an individual who is not prohibited by federal law from possessing a firearm and who is entitled by his or her state of residence to carry a concealed handgun to carry a concealed handgun in any state, provided he or she possesses a validly issued state permit, or, if from a state that does not require a separate permit, a government-issued photo ID. Authorized gun owners who do decide to carry across state lines, however, still would be required to adhere to the respective firearms laws of each state.
    Supporters of this legislation argue that the current interstate reciprocity framework for carry permits can hinder their ability to lawfully carry a handgun across state lines while on business or recreational travel. Some opponents of the bill argue that the federal government should not make it easier for individuals to carry concealed handguns, while others argue that the states are in the best position to ensure the public safety of their citizens and should be allowed to choose which carry permits to honor.
    The Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act is currently pending before the Senate Judiciary Committee. Should this legislation come to the floor of the Senate for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

DN40SW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    Avon
    IMHO Most current elected officials, Republican or Democrat, all want the same thing, my money. They just want to spend it on different things. Change is needed, often.

Top Bottom