A Well-Regulated Militia: The Founding Fathers & the Origin of Gun Control in Am

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I stumbled across this scholarly review of A Well-Regulated Militia: The Founding Fathers and the Origin of Gun Control in America (Cornell, Saul 2006), a work that the gun control crowd sometimes points to when trying to make the argument that the second amendment is a collective right that only applies to militias.

The author examines writings from the Founding Fathers, the views of early states and contemporary commentary and early case law.

This is a fascinating read on the origin of the text that ultimately became the second amendment, while completely annihilating the argument that the right to bear arms isn't an individual right.

This is an absolute must-read for anyone looking for a better understanding of the founder's intent or simply wants something to cite when countering false claims of the gun control crowd.

This is one of the most condensed yet comprehensive and informational work on the second amendment that I've come across. One would likely needed to read entire books on the subject in order to glean what can be found here.

"A Well-Regulated Militia: The Founding Fathers and the Origin of Gun C" by David T. Hardy

You will need to download the pdf. It's 49 pages and took me a little more than an hour to read it straight through.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks for posting! I'll read it here soon when I've got the time to sit down and hopefully do it all in one swoop.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Google must be breaking the links.

Paste this in your browser.

The Unabridged Second Amendment, J. Neil Schulman

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'll have to read this.
    We all should be able to agree that the founding fathers were very smart men and wise beyond their years. So why would wise men who has just thrown off the chains of tyranny and formed a more perfect form of government but who were also very sceptical of any form of government and even the republic they had just created, why would they allow that government to form an army or militia to police itself? Lol it's just stupid to think they would.
    The people are the police or militia. A well trained civilian militia seperate of the government so that if they ever needed to keep said government in check or change it they could.
    So easy

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    ... why would wise men who has just thrown off the chains of tyranny and formed a more perfect form of government but who were also very sceptical of any form of government and even the republic they had just created, why would they allow that government to form an army or militia to police itself? Lol it's just stupid to think they would.
    The people are the police or militia. A well trained civilian militia seperate of the government so that if they ever needed to keep said government in check or change it they could.
    So easy

The is some writing from 19th century legal minds that examined the idea of the government being able to define the militia.

kfjVqdD.jpg

Top Bottom