• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Was in an online conversation and someone said there actually was a sort of gun show loophole in that a dealer can sell his privately owned firearms as a private sale at a gun show with no background check. I'm like, so? But I'd think dealers would probably rather do the paperwork either way. Why ask for scrutiny?

I'm curious what rules are around that if any of you dealers would care to say.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I would guess it is up to the dealer. I have purchased privately owned firearms from a dealer without filling out the fed form.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Was in an online conversation and someone said there actually was a sort of gun show loophole in that a dealer can sell his privately owned firearms as a private sale at a gun show with no background check. I'm like, so? But I'd think dealers would probably rather do the paperwork either way. Why ask for scrutiny?

What would make this "loophole" (your term, not mine) a "gun show loophole"?

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What would make this "loophole" (your term, not mine) a "gun show loophole"?
    Not my term either. The discussion I had was with people who were talking about the “gun show loophole”. Their term.

The sale of private property which is otherwise legal doesn’t become a loophole when in proximity to a gun show. My question is more about whether FFL’s would ever actually make such transactions because it seems the ATF has the ability to make an FFL’s livelihood complicated.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    If I understand this correctly the person that you were speaking with believed that a private individual who sold his privately owned possessions was exploiting a loophole because it took place at a gunshow? I get that the individual may be engaged in the business of selling firearms, but if the item was never a part of their inventory then I do not see the issue.

I can see a dealer being extra cautious, but I do not think that is a loophole.

The worst explanation I ever heard was that it was a loophole because it was never intended for a group of people to come together to sell firearms privately without there being a background check. He had no answer when I asked him about Armslist or any other classifieds service.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

There are plenty of hypothetical situations that some would consider sketchy. They use gun shows specifically because it feels like a workaround to avoid paperwork.

Why not come right out and attack private sales in general? Because that's essentially what the "loophole" is, and it's far too broad.

By attacking gun show loophole, they know any legislation related to it would also kill private sales.

Top Bottom