• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Ok my question is can a civilian own a post 86 40mm or any other DD for that matter? I know that you cannot own post 86 machine guns unless you’re a FFL holder (can’t remember specific FFL and SOT at the moment).

But it seems to me you might be able to own a newly manufactured M203 40mm for the same reason you can purchase an Anzio ironworks 20mm and suppressor (yes I know a suppressor isn’t a DD but it is a NFA item like a machine gun).

Ive really been wanting to build a M16a2 M203 clone and the 37mm available don’t have the correct mount and look like crap.

Colt has done a limited production run of the m203 in 37mm but I’m not paying $2k plus for it.

Cobray made some 37mm in the past for a reasonable price but are very hard to find.

The LMT m203 40mm go for around 1200-1500... I would rather pay that with a tax stamp (if able as a civilian) than pay the ridiculous price on the colt 37mm.

Also does Indiana allow Distructive Devices?

From what I’ve seen on the FOPA of 1986 it only mentions machine guns..

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    seems there was a thread on 40mm in Indiana before. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class-iii-nfa/62194-indiana-grenade-launcher-laws.html

looks like you could own a launcher or “Large Bore DD” just no HE rounds or explosives

As as far as post 86 stuff? Still looking...

My recollection is that the launcher is fine whether post 86 or not. I don't know of any Indiana statute regulating the launcher, but there are a whole bunch regulating the rounds.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    No pre or post for DDs.
    You live in Indiana, you can own a Destructive Device. $200 bucks and you're good. (after waiting longer than it takes to make a new human)

gtmerkley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Farm Near St Anthony, Indiana
    seems there was a thread on 40mm in Indiana before. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class-iii-nfa/62194-indiana-grenade-launcher-laws.html

looks like you could own a launcher or “Large Bore DD” just no HE rounds or explosives

As as far as post 86 stuff? Still looking...
    I started that thread back then.
    IC 35-47.5-5-0.1 was Repealed (Repealed by P.L.63-2012, SEC.80.)
    IC 35-47.5-5-1 states a lawful person which you would be if you had the stamp. I ended up spending the money on a Full Auto Mac 10. Now I'm looking for a 40mm to mount to it. That lead me to this thread. Kind of spooky. I am also looking for a definitive answer. I would think you could register the 40mm shell casing and reload. The launcher and 10 destructive device registered casings would be about $3500 which is really not bad.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    I started that thread back then.
    IC 35-47.5-5-0.1 was Repealed (Repealed by P.L.63-2012, SEC.80.)
    IC 35-47.5-5-1 states a lawful person which you would be if you had the stamp. I ended up spending the money on a Full Auto Mac 10. Now I'm looking for a 40mm to mount to it. That lead me to this thread. Kind of spooky. I am also looking for a definitive answer. I would think you could register the 40mm shell casing and reload. The launcher and 10 destructive device registered casings would be about $3500 which is really not bad.

funny how things go in a circle at times

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    DDs are legal in Indiana across the board, no matter when they were made, as long as they are properly registered under the NFA.

You do NOT have to individually register the ammunition or casings.

There are a variety of fun rounds for a 40mm, chalk, hornets nest, sub-calibers, flares, and anything you’re daring enough to load in a casing. Commercially produced 40mm is available but not cheap, but it is out there in many different flavors.

A LMT 40mm is on my list of things to get “if the price is right” but I have no real practical use for one.

Top Bottom