Crowd-sourced list of things that make one too ignorant to discuss gun laws.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This goes both ways. Could be either side of the debate. But generally, it's been my experience that it's mostly the gun control people that are too ignorant about guns to have any meaningful conversations about how to control them.

So. Please add your suggestions. I'll start it off with a couple. Keep it going.

"Weapons of war like the AR15 and other semi-automatics should not be allowed for ordinary citizens to own."

"The car vs gun analogy is invalid because cars weren't designed to kill people."

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    "The NRA has blood on its hands" / "The NRA is a terrorist organization"

"Chicago's violence only happens because crime guns are imported from Indiana"

"Common sense gun safety reform"

"The Dickey amendment prohibits CDC from researching gun violence"

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Pro 2A:
    "What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you not understand?"

Anti 2A:
    "Hunting guns are safer." (Actually heard that. Caught me speechless for a few seconds.)

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Pro 2A:
    "What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you not understand?"

Anti 2A:
    "Hunting guns are safer." (Actually heard that. Caught me speechless for a few seconds.)

Well, they don't have the shoulder thingy that goes up, so it seems axiomatically obvious to most anti-gun control people.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    "high powered"

"high capacity"

You can't fight the government. The government has nuclear missiles.

If you want to play with guns, join the military. BEEN THERE. DONE THAT. Find another, chucklehead.

ANYONE that doesn't know ANYTHING about guns, but wants to lecture me from the place that THEY know more than ME.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    "You can keep your (high-powered) hunting rifle, but nobody needs "high-powered" rifles like the AR15."

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Raw ignorance on either side:

Pro - "Automatic weapons already ARE ILLEGAL!" or, stepped up, "...have ALWAYS BEEN ILLEGAL!"

Anti - "Guns are easier to acquire than (insert some common item here)" or "(Insert something common/a body part here) have more regulations than guns!"

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Anti---"No one hunts with an AR 15..."

How it should be said---"No one in my upper West Side Apartment building hunts with an AR 15...."

Yeah. Which is to say, "no one I know hunts with an AR15". When people tell me that I say, Ya THINK?

Spending time in the country for my BIL is taking a day hike at Red Rock, or maybe a weekend ski trip to Breckenridge. Oh. And he once went on a hunting trip to Canada with his brothers. And because that represents all the legitimate hunting that can ever exist anywhere...

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Raw ignorance on either side:

Pro - "Automatic weapons already ARE ILLEGAL!" or, stepped up, "...have ALWAYS BEEN ILLEGAL!"

Anti - "Guns are easier to acquire than (insert some common item here)" or "(Insert something common/a body part here) have more regulations than guns!"

I hear well meaning people saying things to the effect that automatic weapons are or have always been illegal.

The latter one is pure ignorance, so I'll give you that. Everything is legal until it's not legal.

But the former is a little more nuanced. Automatic weapons are illegal, except... if they're grandfathered, they're legal if you jump through all the hoops and have the mountains of cash, or do the trust thingy, they're legal to own, but still quite restricted to use.

So the point of the first one is still valid, to say that what people are calling "assault weapons" if you define such things as fully automatic, aren't legal to own. They are legal to own, yes. But still restrictive enough to make the point. You can't just go buy a shiny new one from your LGS like you can ARs.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    But guys... if you point out the ignorance of the anti's it doesn't faze them. You're "gun-shaming" them (which of course is something only ammosexuals do. :rolleyes:) The fact that they know absolutely nothing about guns is irrelevant.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    But guys... if you point out the ignorance of the anti's it doesn't faze them. You're "gun-shaming" them (which of course is something only ammosexuals do. :rolleyes:) The fact that they know absolutely nothing about guns is irrelevant.

It's like someone trying to fly the plane, because they flew Microsoft simulator.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Anti-gun people to pro-gun people: we don’t want to ban guns, only enact “common sense gun laws.”
    Anti-gun people to anti-gun people: we want to ban every gun everywhere.
    “We need gun control to save the children” but "Abortion is a human right"
    "Just another redneck with a gun"

Top Bottom