• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Well, Sacha Baron Cohen is at it again. He has a new series where he dupes people with his fake interviews and characters. Unfortunately, one episode deals with guns and children, and makes some people look really bad:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.vult...s-pro-toddler-gun-in-who-is-america-clip.html

The video in the story is basically a 10 minute train wreck. :facepalm:

You have to admit it, like him or not, he is GOOD at it! He catches people off guard, puts them at ease, then gets them on tape doing or saying things that are just not right.

I'm not a fan of his comedy, but I did catch a clip of him in Borat I think singing an alleged song from his country with the lyrics "...throw the Jew down the well..." The whole crowd in the bar just sang along like it was nothing. There are very unwise people from every cultural background and they make it easy for the their side to get painted with a very broad brush of stereotyping and stupidity.

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Absolutely true. I wish they would be more careful, because this is just ammunition for the opposition. People who are presenting themselves as leaders of the gun community cannot fall for this stuff.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Getting people to make a public statement to "...arm toddlers..." I don't know whether he is a genius in doing this or the folks out there are complete and total whackjobs?

I love the 2A. I love all of our civil liberties. I don't see any rational person agreeing that arming toddlers would be something to promote or support in any way whatsoever. I have to say I question the mental stability of anyone who would support this notion outside of possibly a cynical comment or joke.

Just :wow::ugh:

Doug

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Gun rights are ultimately a cultural issue. The Constitution has been amended before when ideas became so unpopular they no longer had the standing to remain. Larry Pratt in particular just did more damage to the 2nd Amendment then a dozen Cleatus' with UDs. The head of supposedly one of the more prominent gun rights organizations saying the things he did is beyond stupid. If he has *any* sense of mission and professionalism, it's time for him to step down and disappear as he has zero credibility.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    OK, watched the video.

Some thoughts. A lot of stupid things were said, but some clever editing to make them look even stupider than they were, was also done.

Also, it is clear that the context was these gun advocates were fed a line about how important and respected this Israeli Colonel was, then they, essentially, went with everything he said. Utter stupidity. Peer pressure should not work that well on full grown men.

In addition, it displays the tribal mentality we have seen predominate lately. "This Israeli Colonel is a gun guy, I'm a gun guy, he's good, anti-gunners are bad, so I'll agree with everything he says." Again, stupidity. He is not right because his supposed enemies are wrong. Get out of that mentality! (a thought process we see displayed, from time to time on INGO and probably anywhere where politics and beliefs are discussed)

Guys, we always have to be on guard. Always. Every moment. NEVER go along to get along if someone is saying something wrongheaded. Maybe as a trial lawyer I'm attuned to NEVER speaking publicly in an unguarded fashion (even then, what is obvious sarcasm to me...), but I would think that in this day and age where there are cameras everywhere, everyone would be attuned to that.

Idiots, but also taken advantage of and edited to downplay the goading to say dumb things and to make it look like the stupidity originated with them.

Last edited:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    OK, watched the video.

Some thoughts. A lot of stupid things were said, but some clever editing to make them look even stupider than they were, was also done.

Also, it is clear that the context was these gun advocates were fed a line about how important and respected this Israeli Colonel was, then they, essentially, went with everything he said. Utter stupidity. Peer pressure should not work that well on full grown men.

In addition, it displays the tribal mentality we have seen predominate lately. "This Israeli Colonel is a gun guy, I'm a gun guy, he's good, anti-gunners are bad, so I'll agree with everything he says." Again, stupidity. He is not right because his supposed enemies are wrong. Get out of that mentality! (a thought process we see displayed, from time to time on INGO and probably anywhere where politics and beliefs are discussed)

Guys, we always have to be on guard. Always. Every moment. NEVER go along to get along if someone is saying something wrongheaded. Maybe as a trial lawyer I'm attuned to NEVER speaking publicly in an unguarded fashion (even then, what is obvious sarcasm to me...), but I would think that in this day and age where there are cameras everywhere, everyone would be attuned to that.

Idiots, but also taken advantage of and edited to downplay the goading to say dumb things and to make it look like the stupidity originated with them.

All true, and yet I am still left with the feeling that anyone who willing says it's OK to arm toddlers (outside of cynicism or joking) needs to be, well... needs help. Serious help.

Regards,

Doug

PS - I'll try to avoid hypocrisy and equally denigrate the liberals he catches in his net.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

All true, and yet I am still left with the feeling that anyone who willing says it's OK to arm toddlers (outside of cynicism or joking) needs to be, well... needs help. Serious help...

Agree. That's where my calling the comments stupid (3 times) and dumb come in. As to the "instructional video" that was so outlandish that I suspect (or hope) that it was put to the guy as a joke, then edited as if it was serious...not that a gun rights advocate should joke about such things.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    All the more reason I don't want to be well known or famous while I'm alive. Nobody will care enough to try to wrangle me into farces like that.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

I’m sure there was plenty of editing. I want to know why nobody seems to have done the most basic of research to see this person doesn't exist, or at least isn’t some well-respected Colonel. And, even if making a joke video, they HAVE to have enough intelligence to know it might be a trap. The biggest concern is that, regardless of editing, it gives the anti-gun folks something to point to and use.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I’m sure there was plenty of editing. I want to know why nobody seems to have done the most basic of research to see this person doesn't exist, or at least isn’t some well-respected Colonel. And, even if making a joke video, they HAVE to have enough intelligence to know it might be a trap. The biggest concern is that, regardless of editing, it gives the anti-gun folks something to point to and use.

I agree.

Stupidity.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Rob Pincus summed it up correctly, IMO. That would say or do anything to hear their own voice on TV.

Top Bottom