• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I was watching "CBS This Morning" news Tuesday 07/31/2018.
    They had a reported walking around a FAKE gun store talking about 3D gun printing.
    They had racks on the walls with rifles and shotguns hanging there. They had counter with glass display cases.
    I do not remember seeing any handguns.
    The reported was walking around telling all the woos of 3D printing a AR15.
    It almost looked like the local gun store I visit.

There goes our FIRST AMENDMENT rights of free speech.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Yes I have the news story in front of me and The photo posted by "Central Texas Gun Works".
    The reporter is in "Central Texas Gun Works" telling his story.

Central Texas Gun Works What idiots!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Maybe I don't understand the technology but honestly (other than their hand wringing about carnage in the streets, again) they are blurring the lines between cnc machining and 3d printing. Will digital prints enable "anybody" to build and "untraceable" AR15 in their kitchen? Yes. But doesn't that already exist in the form of 80% lowers? And to say that "anybody" will be able to 3d print an operational AR15 or its fully automatic cousin are suspect at best. What little I know about 3d printing suggests that yes they may be able to build one in form but I doubt the function part of it will work. For instance how are you going to 3d print a ready to run barrel for an AR? Seems like the technology is there right now to build simple forms but 3d printing something with more complex internals (without secondary machining) isn't really possible yet is it?

And besides, with the proliferation of weapons in the world now why would any self respecting terrorist bother with the time and expense of building his own when he can simply buy or steal them. Just seems like more :runaway: over nothing!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's a whole conflagration of terms - "3d printing" versus "machining", "rifle" versus "serialized lower". Don't expect someone not savvy enough to understand it to... um... understand it.

Just expect them to keep tossing out terms like "ghost gun" and FUDD about people building a secret arsenal fully automatic assault rifles in their basement.

The AR-15 bought from "some guy" at the 1500 is just as "untraceable" as an AR-15 built up using a lower machined from plastic at home and an upper bought from the internets.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    A quality 3-D printer capable of this costs thousands, correct? Yeah, it's just the media banging the drum loudly trying to scare folks.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    A quality 3-D printer capable of this costs thousands, correct? Yeah, it's just the media banging the drum loudly trying to scare folks.

Not only the cost is an issue, but the time to print a gun as well.
    From what little I know about it, there is a lot of "set up and tear down" for each component of whatever you are printing.
    So it is time and cost prohibitive for the "average Joe".

It is once again the media hyping gun ownership and gun owners as something "bad".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I heard some forked tongue politico babbling about blood in the streets if they do not get some regulations in place.

Well.....1988. The unconcealable firearms act. I believe that is how it is titled. There is law in place.

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    This is small step legislation. The anti-gun crowd (not the idiots, the masterminds who are VERY SMART) see 3d printing as the stepping stone. They know 3d printing right now is "toyish". In 15 years it will not be. This type of legislation also paves the way to stop the inevitable energy weapons debate coming in the future.

Its the same ideological view as the Life long Hunter declaring there is no need to own an AR15. In 30 years there will be firearm owners, (AR15 and AK74 owners) saying there is no reason to own an energy weapon. They are silent, have near zero flat trajectories with effective ranges for miles, the average citizen doesnt need that weapon of war...only the military needs that.

I dont agree, but I can guarantee there will be those in the future with this opinion.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have to agree with Cody - this has nothing to do with guns - this is about the Govt. saying they can place limitations on the 1st Amendment. And that they seem to believe they can pull data from the Internet after it's been out there for years. I hear the Liberals blathering about how it's as insane as putting instructions on how to build an atomic bomb on the Internet. Well, those have been out there for years too. Maybe the Liberals would feel better if they had a huge rally and burned some books. Ain't that America? Sing it with me now.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is small step legislation. The anti-gun crowd (not the idiots, the masterminds who are VERY SMART) see 3d printing as the stepping stone. They know 3d printing right now is "toyish". In 15 years it will not be. This type of legislation also paves the way to stop the inevitable energy weapons debate coming in the future.

Its the same ideological view as the Life long Hunter declaring there is no need to own an AR15. In 30 years there will be firearm owners, (AR15 and AK74 owners) saying there is no reason to own an energy weapon. They are silent, have near zero flat trajectories with effective ranges for miles, the average citizen doesnt need that weapon of war...only the military needs that.

I dont agree, but I can guarantee there will be those in the future with this opinion.
    Energy weapons? :dunno:

Someone's been playing too many video games.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    We use 3D printers and SLA machines at work... expensive ones. The quality is pretty good, but not for something to "contain an explosion next to my head" good. Cheaper printers can be had , but the quality goes down with the price of the printer. It will get better as time goes on, and there are machines of this type that will do metals, but they are even more expensive.

As others have said, this is just something to stir up the pearl-clutchers with the goal of getting some anti-2A (and 1A) legislation past.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Energy weapons? :dunno:

Someone's been playing too many video games.

Really? I was at my first Directed Energy Weapons conference like a decade ago. They are a real thing and the powerful ones are already highly regulated though available and easy to use in dangerous ways. The really big ones are like destroyers, few if any can afford them without a taxpayer base. SOCOM is fielding a C-130 with DEWs on them as I type this.

Rail guns are getting small enough to put on tanks.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Really? I was at my first Directed Energy Weapons conference like a decade ago. They are a real thing and the powerful ones are already highly regulated though available and easy to use in dangerous ways. The really big ones are like destroyers, few if any can afford them without a taxpayer base. SOCOM is fielding a C-130 with DEWs on them as I type this.

Rail guns are getting small enough to put on tanks.
    I know what they are and what they can do, I just don't expect that any "practical basement builds" will be here in the next decade.

Top Bottom