• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    TL/DR: U.S. Department of Education’s Civil Rights Data Collection (CRDC) claims, 235 schools reported at least one incident involving a shooting over the course of the academic year. NPR's investigators were only able to confirm eleven of those.

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2018/08/27/640323347/the-school-shootings-that-werent

And the FBI only reports two, because they don't count it unless someone dies.

So, given the very low number, and the very low risk, are we overspending on school safety?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I guess you will become pro-truth on school shootings if you get to show the Trump administration wrong.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Seems like we've had a thread on here some time back where someone (an article) had gone through and analyzed a bunch of so-called school shootings and debunked the vast majority of them as this NPR article appears to.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    TL/DR: U.S. Department of Education’s Civil Rights Data Collection (CRDC) claims, 235 schools reported at least one incident involving a shooting over the course of the academic year. NPR's investigators were only able to confirm eleven of those.

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2018/08/27/640323347/the-school-shootings-that-werent

And the FBI only reports two, because they don't count it unless someone dies.

So, given the very low number, and the very low risk, are we overspending on school safety?
    To answer your question, yes. But running for any office at any level on a platform of cutting spending on school anything won't work well. Even if you have an excellent plan that would increase safety and save money? It's a no go from the start.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Even if it doesn't fit the liberal, "guns are bad, mkay" agenda.

NPR, with the exception of certain shows, is generally pretty fair minded. I've read or listened to several pro-hunting, pro-firearms stories. One about female hunters and another on the need for sportsman to keep deer herds healthy have been discussed here on INGO before.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    NPR is actually pretty unbiased. It may come off as liberal at times, but that's normally because of who they're interviewing. If it's coming off as slanted, you likely aren't hearing NPR's bias, you're hearing the bias of the person telling their story or opinion (not the reporters).

Even if it doesn't fit the liberal, "guns are bad, mkay" agenda.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Ask expat - he's the first to mention him.
    It looks like the Dept of Education under Trump was going to spend money for school security (hardening them which I assume is part of the dreaded arming of school teachers) based upon the quoted numbers that were just released this year by the Dept Of Education (per the article). NPR felt it was important now to debunk those numbers to prevent the Trump Administration from showing a need to harden school targets (arming teachers). That was the way I was taking the report.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I wouldn't classify NPR as fair. I do listen to them a lot though because they offer more indepth coverage on news than the 2 min drill on WIBC. By a lot I mean 2-4 hours a day.

Their word selection is what gives it away for me. Specifically the adjectives, adverbs, and verbs they choose to use. I don't think they balance their coverage very well either when they have on experts.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    NPR, with the exception of certain shows, is generally pretty fair minded. I've read or listened to several pro-hunting, pro-firearms stories. One about female hunters and another on the need for sportsman to keep deer herds healthy have been discussed here on INGO before.

NPR is actually pretty unbiased. It may come off as liberal at times, but that's normally because of who they're interviewing. If it's coming off as slanted, you likely aren't hearing NPR's bias, you're hearing the bias of the person telling their story or opinion (not the reporters).
    Sorry - should have been in purple. I generally feel they're good at remaining unbiased on the whole. There's a few that can't manage it, a have been regulated to non-news (e.g. Guy Raz). Diane Reim was the really openly biased one, and thankfully she retired.

Nevertheless, because they've been critical of the Trump administration (face it, there's a lot to be critical about), many INGO'ers dismiss them outright as "mainstream liberal media".

Example 1:
    It looks like the Dept of Education under Trump was going to spend money for school security (hardening them which I assume is part of the dreaded arming of school teachers) based upon the quoted numbers that were just released this year by the Dept Of Education (per the article). NPR felt it was important now to debunk those numbers to prevent the Trump Administration from showing a need to harden school targets (arming teachers). That was the way I was taking the report.
    I have no idea how you got that from the story.

...and why should the federal government be spending federal tax dollars on state schools? Doesn't the federal government stick it's nose far too deep into schools as it is?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have no idea how you got that from the story.

...and why should the federal government be spending federal tax dollars on state schools? Doesn't the federal government stick it's nose far too deep into schools as it is?
    One of the big outrages going on in Washington before McCain died was Betsy DeVos (Sec of Education) was going to be passing around billions in federal educational block grants to states and local communities because we need to get guns in school. So I saw the NPR article as just a follow on to the attempt to stop that from happening.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/23/us/politics/devos-guns-in-schools.html

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    One of the big outrages going on in Washington before McCain died was Betsy DeVos (Sec of Education) was going to be passing around billions in federal educational block grants to states and local communities because we need to get guns in school. So I saw the NPR article as just a follow on to the attempt to stop that from happening.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/23/us/politics/devos-guns-in-schools.html

office-space-jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

There's absolutely nothing in that article to lead in that direction.

Furthermore, I oppose that for the simple reason that the federal govt. shouldn't be giving billions[sic] to schools!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    :rolleyes:

No one said we should be. But we are.
    From the NPR article:
    At least 53 new school safety laws were passed in states in 2018. Districts are spending millions of dollars to "harden" schools with new security measures and equipment. A blue-ribbon federal school safety commission led by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos is holding public events around the country, including one in Alabama Tuesday.

Yeah, nothing in the article to indicate they even considered the fact that we are spending millions of dollars to harden schools as part of the reason for writing the article.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    :rolleyes:

No one said we should be. But we are.
    From the NPR article:

Yeah, nothing in the article to indicate they even considered the fact that we are spending millions of dollars to harden schools as part of the reason for writing the article.
    I'm not sure if that's sarcastic or not. I'm also not sure why you're rolling your eyes at me for asking how you determined that this article is anti-Trump.

You specifically mentioned "arming teachers". Now, don't go moving the goalpost. Furthermore, it doesn't mentions where the millions of dollars come from (local? state? fed?). There's only one line connecting this to the Trump adm. (not even mentioning Trump) and you found it. One line. And yet you're claim is this is a hit piece on Trump.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I'm not sure if that's sarcastic or not. I'm also not sure why you're rolling your eyes at me for asking how you determined that this article is anti-Trump.

You specifically mentioned "arming teachers". Now, don't go moving the goalpost. Furthermore, it doesn't mentions where the millions of dollars come from (local? state? fed?). There's only one line connecting this to the Trump adm. (not even mentioning Trump) and you found it. One line. And yet you're claim is this is a hit piece on Trump.

Eh. Hit piece on Trump. Probably not. At least not directly.

I applaud NPR for the piece. Haven’t heard it elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom