Harvard University Study Reveals Astonishing Link Between Firearms, Crime and Gu

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Harvard University Study Reveals Astonishing Link Between Firearms Crime and Gun Control by Rob Kerby - Beliefnet
    Harvard University Study Reveals Astonishing Link Between Firearms, Crime and Gun Control

According to a study in the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy, which cites the Centers for Disease Control, the U.S. National Academy of Sciences and the United Nations International Study on Firearms Regulation, the more guns a nation has, the less criminal activity.

Funny how the anti-gunners don't quote this study.
    Could be, because it's been largely hidden.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Harvard University Study Reveals Astonishing Link Between Firearms Crime and Gun Control by Rob Kerby - Beliefnet
    Harvard University Study Reveals Astonishing Link Between Firearms, Crime and Gun Control

According to a study in the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy, which cites the Centers for Disease Control, the U.S. National Academy of Sciences and the United Nations International Study on Firearms Regulation, the more guns a nation has, the less criminal activity.

Funny how the anti-gunners don't quote this study.
    Could be, because it's been largely hidden.
    It's interesting how academics make a living proving and quantifying the obvious...that you can read on bumper stickers.

The left is buried in data like this going back about 40 years with studies by Gary Kleck and John Lott being among the most outstanding, it's the reason that the likes of sloan&kellerman or bellisiles invent s**t for the "media" to trumpet

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    It doesn't get a lot of traction because it isn't actually a peer reviewed study, so it is easy to dismiss. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that makes it incorrect or that I disagree with the findings, I'm just saying that it isn't persuasive to anyone on the other side if they can easily find a reason to dismiss it as invalid.

Here is a link to the actual paper: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=998893

As a side note: I absolutely love that one of the authors is named Mauser, it's like an inside joke!

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    It doesn't get a lot of traction because it isn't actually a peer reviewed study, so it is easy to dismiss. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that makes it incorrect or that I disagree with the findings, I'm just saying that it isn't persuasive to anyone on the other side if they can easily find a reason to dismiss it as invalid.

It is, however, an excellent source of talking points and citations.
    Furthermore, it's my experience that even properly cited, reviewed, and published articles aren't that great at changing people's opinions. Not unless you metaphorically bury them under a pile of undismissable evidence. Why would the average person sit down and take the time and effort to read and comprehend a paper that challenges, rather than reinforces their positions? Maybe just to pick apart the arguments, and thereby bolster their beliefs.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm going to have to look deeper into this study, because while I'd like to believe it, I'm thinking that the results of this study are misleading, ignoring the difference between causation and correlation. Kinda along the lines of "the more ice cream sold, the more people will commit crime" idea.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Furthermore, it's my experience that even properly cited, reviewed, and published articles aren't that great at changing people's opinions. Not unless you metaphorically bury them under a pile of undismissable evidence. Why would the average person sit down and take the time and effort to read and comprehend a paper that challenges, rather than reinforces their positions? Maybe just to pick apart the arguments, and thereby bolster their beliefs.

Yeah, that's my experience too. I foolishly inserted myself into an argument about the Kavenaugh nomination on Facebook the other day, and was only reminded once again that I am 0 for lifetime at changing anyone's mind about anything.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Yeah, that's my experience too. I foolishly inserted myself into an argument about the Kavenaugh nomination on Facebook the other day, and was only reminded once again that I am 0 for lifetime at changing anyone's mind about anything.
    To borrow a line from a fellow INGOer (it was Bill of Rights or Brother Bill 3, maybe both), we're going after the 87%. There are 10% (like the Tories in the Revolution) who will not be changed ever. We're the 3%, that leaves 87%.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The academia-anti 2A-types (exhibit A: IU Professor Jody Medeira) have their own version of group-think, it's called peer review. Everybody thinks and acts alike and agrees with each other.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

Here is a link to the actual paper: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=998893

As a side note: I absolutely love that one of the authors is named Mauser, it's like an inside joke!

Perhaps it wasn't submitted for it knowing what the results would be? Flip side, the paper that started the vaccines=autism movement WAS peer reviewed (even if that approval was withdrawn within a year).

Peer review is like unions... sometimes it works for the abused, sometimes it does the abusing.

Top Bottom