Did the Indiana Church Carry bill ever pass the state house?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I remembered it passed the state senate last year, but I lost track of it.
    It allows LTCH holders carry in church with school on site.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The last thing I remembered reading was that they were going to give the exemption but you had to have official permission from the church. I don't remember the final disposition.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    The last thing I remembered reading was that they were going to give the exemption but you had to have official permission from the church. I don't remember the final disposition.
    :dunno: If you have to get permission from the Church what does this law accomplish? Without this law if you have permission from the Church can't you carry?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    :dunno: If you have to get permission from the Church what does this law accomplish? Without this law if you have permission from the Church can't you carry?

It dealt with churches that have schools on the property. If there is no school or licensed day care it is not an issue. The vast-majority of private schools in Indiana are religious-based. Per current law: it's a school 24/7, even on Sunday morning. A number of folks testified in favor of this bill including Fargo and myself.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It's none of the government's business whether I concealed carry at church or not.

In my case, my Pastor knows I carry, and he carries too.
    We're a small country church with a small congregation that would be sitting ducks for anybody with violent intent.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    It's none of the government's business whether I concealed carry at church or not.

We're a small country church with a small congregation that would be sitting ducks for anybody with violent intent.

Same at my church. I think there's probably 5 or 6 of us that carry

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I bet a lot of folks would be surprised to find out how many people are carrying in their church. I've discussed the topic with a friend who attends a LARGE church east of Indy. They hold several services every Sunday with hundreds of attendees at each. They have a security team (not counting the uniformed officers who direct traffic for them) that he thinks has around 50-60 armed people attending various services. Whether they train and/or practice he doesn't know but they did have a consultant in not long ago. There's no school there.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    It dealt with churches that have schools on the property. If there is no school or licensed day care it is not an issue. The vast-majority of private schools in Indiana are religious-based. Per current law: it's a school 24/7, even on Sunday morning. A number of folks testified in favor of this bill including Fargo and myself.

School is the key point here.

Coworker of mine is part of the security team with a daycare and school. He mans the surveillance cameras on Sundays and there are few uniform and reserve LEO's who are armed. But that only happens on Sundays. They rest of the time the whole place is a sitting duck.

They had the ISP came over to do a security walk-through and shelter in place drill, they don't have the ability to defend themselves.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Go ahead.

If your church does not have a school attached, you are good to go.

This law only dealt with churches with schools.

I know this is repetitive. Apparently, it bears repeating.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    so why did it not make it further?

My recollection is some churches or some clergy got all upset that there'd be guns up to the rafters in their churches if this passed and got in the ears of enough republicans for their knees to go all wobbly and their spines to go limp.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    My recollection is some churches or some clergy got all upset that there'd be guns up to the rafters in their churches if this passed and got in the ears of enough republicans for their knees to go all wobbly and their spines to go limp.

:faint:
    do they really think their god(s) will protect them.
    oh wait nevermind.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Between that, Las Vegas and Parkland there was more concerns about "optics" than law abiding gun owners. There was a lot of good legislation introduced last session. ConC was coming off the summer study recommendation but got watered down to free Lifetime LTCH and a 5-year NICs exempt. The Church Carry bill was solid too. In the end we came away with nothing, except for the admission by those representing Police Chiefs/Sheriffs that the LTCH program is about the money.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Between that, Las Vegas and Parkland there was more concerns about "optics" than law abiding gun owners. There was a lot of good legislation introduced last session. ConC was coming off the summer study recommendation but got watered down to free Lifetime LTCH and a 5-year NICs exempt. The Church Carry bill was solid too. In the end we came away with nothing, except for the admission by those representing Police Chiefs/Sheriffs that the LTCH program is about the money.

Yeah...that too. I'm glad that free LTCH monstrosity failed.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.

There was something - its been too long and too much - I guess parkland - good grief this year had done me in ... that had the D / anti-right side
    (... and their fearmongering - and the "bad killer" optics ... ) ... ready to add/propose like 26 amendments to what was a simple, and pretty good bill - during conference 2nd reading

... they (both H and S / D and R) didn't have the time ... well they DID ... but the R leadership decided it was not a political win ... to extend the session again ... or to bring it in special session ... so they let it die - with the bill's author's consent ... -

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Top Bottom