• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    we do a corn maze on my property [during november] during the day we have schools visit, groups range from 10 to 300 kids plus adults. can i cc on my own land with a school there? i think its a gray area!

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I don't see it as a gray area- it's your land, your rules, they are invited subject to your rules. It is not a school. If they don't like your rules they can go elsewhere. Having said that, I would suggest to keep it very well concealed to avoid any snowflakes complaining or creating a scene. Oh, and make sure your excess liability insurance is adequate just incase you would happen to have an AD, or a need to actually use your weapon.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    Just not sure being it's a school field trip. I work in a school and wish I could cc at work. Maybe one day.

Thankyou for the advice

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    There are no more "roaming school zones." Once off school property, bus, etc, you're fine. Just keep it covered really good as stated above.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Just not sure being it's a school field trip. I work in a school and wish I could cc at work. Maybe one day.

Thankyou for the advice
    At one time there was a law that made any school function a GFZ. Solid 2A supporters got that changed. If a school field trip visited a dairy farm, the farmer was committing a felony (ever met a farmer who wasn't a gun owner??)

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    Well crap, I did not know there was a corn maze in the 'Tuck. I would have brought the grand-kids. Maybe next year.

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    Fashion Farm is in Ligonier, on the opposite side of the county from us. I have not been there in awhile, I know it used to be good for the kids.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I don't see it as a gray area- it's your land, your rules, they are invited subject to your rules. It is not a school. If they don't like your rules they can go elsewhere. Having said that, I would suggest to keep it very well concealed to avoid any snowflakes complaining or creating a scene. Oh, and make sure your excess liability insurance is adequate just incase you would happen to have an AD, or a need to actually use your weapon.

Generally speaking you would be correct. Unless the property is leased to a school for their exclusive use. Then school property rules apply. As such you would have to have permission of the school board or fall under one of the other exemptions. But that should be pretty easy to write into the lease.

So school comes by for a field trip and just purchases tickets or is allowed for free no school property, school leases the property for their exclusive use school property.

At one time there was a law that made any school function a GFZ. Solid 2A supporters got that changed. If a school field trip visited a dairy farm, the farmer was committing a felony (ever met a farmer who wasn't a gun owner??)

Under the old law the farmer would have been legal, there was an exemption for the owner of the property and anyone they authorized. I don't know why but when they changed the law that exemption was removed. Could of been intentional, could have simply been a mistake/oversight. There is a member on here who owns rental property that is/was rented by a preschool/day care, he can't carry there if he goes in for maintenance or any other reason without their permission.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    Well crap, I did not know there was a corn maze in the 'Tuck. I would have brought the grand-kids. Maybe next year.

the amazing maze and pumpkin patch, 5386 n 500 e kendallville,

find us on face book. we have Christmas trees day after thanksgiving

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    Generally speaking you would be correct. Unless the property is leased to a school for their exclusive use. Then school property rules apply. As such you would have to have permission of the school board or fall under one of the other exemptions. But that should be pretty easy to write into the lease.

So school comes by for a field trip and just purchases tickets or is allowed for free no school property, school leases the property for their exclusive use school property.

Under the old law the farmer would have been legal, there was an exemption for the owner of the property and anyone they authorized. I don't know why but when they changed the law that exemption was removed. Could of been intentional, could have simply been a mistake/oversight. There is a member on here who owns rental property that is/was rented by a preschool/day care, he can't carry there if he goes in for maintenance or any other reason without their permission.

guess im gtg for next year then. usually during the day when schools are here im driving the tractor for the wagon ride. but im in and out for every ride.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Read the law. It's pretty clear. 35-47-9.

Even when it was unlawful to carry at a property being used by a school for a school function, it was still legal with permission of the school or property owner.

For background, search INGO for "school function."

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Even when it was unlawful to carry at a property being used by a school for a school function, it was still legal with permission of the school or property owner.

Keyword was. Property owner exemption was removed when they changed the law.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south

Keyword was. Property owner exemption was removed when they changed the law.

Yes, two keyward "was" in that sentence. The exemption was removed because the prohibition was removed.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yes, two keyward "was" in that sentence. The exemption was removed because the prohibition was removed.

Which screwed the pooch for some people, like as I mentioned above the INGO member who rents space to a preschool. Or perhaps the OP of this thread if he leased his property to a school for their exclusive use for the day for field trips and such. Or perhaps someone who owns a hall that a school rents for prom or any other reason, or...

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Which screwed the pooch for some people, like as I mentioned above the INGO member who rents space to a preschool. Or perhaps the OP of this thread if he leased his property to a school for their exclusive use for the day for field trips and such. Or perhaps someone who owns a hall that a school rents for prom or any other reason, or...

Please cite the law that you're talking about and quote the relevant portion that you're talking about that "screwed the pooch" for the "member who rents space to a preschool."

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Old Code:
    [FONT=&amp]IC 35-47-9-1[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Exemptions from chapter
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](1) A:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](A) federal;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](B) state; or[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](C) local;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]law enforcement officer.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](A) a school; or[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](3) A person who:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](A) may legally possess a firearm; and[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.[/FONT]
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

And the current code, without THAT exemption:

IC 35-47-9-1Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. (a) This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:(A) federal;(B) state; or(C) local;law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who may legally possess a firearm and who hasbeen authorized by:
    (A) a school board (as defined by IC 20-26-9-4); or
    (B) the body that administers a charter school establishedunder IC 20-24;to carry a firearm in or on school property.
    (3) Except as provided in subsection (b) or (c), a person who:(A) may legally possess a firearm; and(B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle.
    (4) A person who is a school resource officer, as defined inIC 20-26-18.2-1.

In the current version, the school board MUST AUTHORIZE, even if you own the property.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    What I'm looking for is not the exemption.

I'm looking for the law that prohibits carry on property that is being rented or leased by a school. Where is that language?

Top Bottom