• ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    SCOTUS Rejects California Concealed Carry Case

The Supreme Court is refusing a new invitation to rule on gun rights, leaving in place California restrictions on carrying concealed handguns in public.

The justices on Monday rejected an appeal from Sacramento residents who argued that they were unfairly denied permits to be armed in public.

The complaint alleged that a prior Sacramento sheriff who was in charge of handgun permits arbitrarily rewarded friends.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If only an specifically protected constitutional right were protected as zealously by the courts as a made up one like abortion is.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My guess is that it wasn't the best possible case. The justices/NRA are not dumb to optics. They probably are looking for the right case to take the matter up with, not ANY case.

I don't know that I'd give SCOTUS credit for thinking it through like that. I think it does have to do with optics. But I don't think they're shopping for cases they can make precedent on. At least I hope that's not what they're doing. That'd be activist. They should take cases that think may violate the constitution.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If I was being charitable, I would say that Kavanaugh probably wants to avoid cases that are politically divisive so early in his tenure.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    My guess is that it wasn't the best possible case. The justices/NRA are not dumb to optics. They probably are looking for the right case to take the matter up with, not ANY case.

^^^This^^^

Facts matter and they want to rule on a case that sets up the perfect precedent going forward that would not leave wiggle room.

The decision makers may not feel the have a lock on votes and might be waiting on Ruth to be replaced to be certain of a win. Also so they don't have to listen to the incessant whining that it is not real precedent because it was only a 5-4 majority vote.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If I was being charitable, I would say that Kavanaugh probably wants to avoid cases that are politically divisive so early in his tenure.

Man, I hope so. Because if Hillary had won and RBG's mini-me had been nominated, I'm betting she would feel so constrained.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, I had a more comprehensive post that got lost to the internet ether.

Based on my experience and a cursory review of the procedural status of this case, it was a solid "pass" by SCOTUS. Allegations too old, current political authority not doing it that way anymore, new justice involved.

There'll be a better case.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I doubt the Supreme Court has any interest in any case is that even have a hint of "mootness" about them. Loosening the standing requirement just results in a flood of federal cases filed to end run around the legislature.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Who decides whether the court hears the case? For some reason I thought each justice was in charge of one region of the country. And they determine what gets elevated to the full-court.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Who decides whether the court hears the case? For some reason I thought each justice was in charge of one region of the country. And they determine what gets elevated to the full-court.

I believe, but not positive they decide by vote, can't remember if it's 4 or 5 to take it.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    No, it is decided by a vote of the full court, but IIRC it might not take a majority.

Justices do individually supervise each circuit of the court of appeals, but I believe that is for emergency matters.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Different judges/justices have different expertise and interests within the law. Sometimes there's been known to be some low-level horsetrading, as I understand it. "If you vote to consider this securities litigation case, I'll vote to consider your illegal search and seizure case."

That kind of thing.

But, a case like the one in the OP, with certain procedural baggage and limited geographic applicatoin, is going to have a tough time.

Top Bottom