• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    So this is in the news ... already ... uhm ... err ... not liking it Senator. so NO.

https://www.wishtv.com/news/indiana...equire-secure-gun-storage-in-homes/1594915849

I know I need to ramp things up ... Guess we'll start 2019 now ...

[FONT=&quot]INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A state lawmaker wants to make gun storage safety mandatory inside gun owners' homes. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]State Sen. Jim Merritt said the Noblesville school shooting caused him to come up with this proposal. David Moore, who was 13 years old during the May 25 shooting at Noblesville West Middle School, is accused of shooting student Ella Whistler and teacher Jason Seaman. Both victims survived the shooting. Investigators said Moore had two handguns in his backpack. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Merritt, a Republican from Indianapolis, said the main goal of his proposal would be to require parents to keep guns secure and away from children. Merritt is proposing a bill that would require gun owners to keep guns out of reach of children inside the home. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]According to the U.S. Department of Justice, in most cases, it's illegal for a child younger than 18 to have a handgun or ammunition. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]"In the state of Indiana, there's no law about gun storage," Merritt said. "That's what we're trying to get to. We support the right to have arms, but we just want the guns to be stored safely in our homes." [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]"There's not a demarcation in the home of where the gun has to be. There just has to be a storage system in a home where the children just cannot get to them." [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Merritt said that his proposal would send a strong reminder "to those that own guns that safety is No. 1. Should your child get a hold of a gun, then you're responsible." [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If the bill becomes a law, how would it be enforced? [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]"This would not enable law enforcement to go into a home and check to see if your guns are stored safely. This would be more of a reactive part of it," Merritt said. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Opinions on the proposal varied. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Jimmy Yang said, "Yeah, I think that's a good idea. I think the average kid can't break into a gun safe. Will it stop criminals? I don't think so." [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Terry Wagner said, "The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]About children having guns in Indiana, Indianapolis attorney A. Kassi Rigney, a founding partner at
    Rigney Law said, "In a nutshell, current Indiana law focuses on the criminalization of providing a firearm to a minor when the parent or guardian knew or should have known that the minor was going to commit a felony. And a parent or guardian failing to take reasonable precautions in preventing a child using a firearm in a felony." [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Rigney is not connected to the legislative proposal. "There isn't anything just criminalizing the negligence of leaving a firearm accessible to a child." [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Merritt said most gun owners in our state already keep their guns safe and secure. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The state lawmaker said he's reaching out to the National Rifle Association right to get suggestions on how the bill could be better. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]He's not sure how the legislation will be received in the Statehouse, but he's hopeful for bipartisan support.
    [/FONT]

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    A) Interesting that Merritt may be considered a Rino now. (I've never really liked that expression, anyway.) He's endorsed by the NRA, I believe. (For whatever that's worth.)

B) The requested law already exists. IC 35-47-10-5 and that general area.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Opinions on the proposal varied. Jimmy Yang said, "Yeah, I think that's a good idea. I think the average kid can't break into a gun safe. Will it stop criminals? I don't think so."

LMAO This person has apparently never met a kid old enough to navigate to youtube. Or was around when grandma had the 5 year old open the tamper proof prescription bottles so she could take her heart meds.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    A) Interesting that Merritt may be considered a Rino now. (I've never really liked that expression, anyway.) He's endorsed by the NRA, I believe. (For whatever that's worth.)

I added the question marks for the reason that - its an opinion and a "title" that should be based on more things; but this is step in that direction.
    (maybe) and ...

1) The law is illegal under Heller.

2) As noted, Indiana already addresses his concern.

I was thinking this is basically covered. Unless we're trying to further infringe on rights -
    It is a emotional platitude to "doing something" -...- an Emotitude as I called something the other day.

And what it "does" all depends on what the "exact" language is / becomes ... which we don't know. since it isn't available.
    and I'm not swayed by the Nancy P argument ... (eg: pass it to see what it does)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    But.... but... its FOR THE CHILDREN! Why do you hate children?;)

Because they grow up and make poor facial hair decisions as seniors in high school.

18813486_1550452501633553_8834101217863279212_n.jpg

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    So if your kid is old enough to stay home by themselves they don’t have the right to protect them selves with a gun? I’ve read way more kids protecting them selves with a gun at home then kids shooting up schools.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    So if your kid is old enough to stay home by themselves they don’t have the right to protect them selves with a gun? I’ve read way more kids protecting them selves with a gun at home then kids shooting up schools.

Now, now.... it's FOR THE CHILDREN. Don't let facts and experience get in the way of them helping us do what is good for us.

Senator Merritt is the same guy who wants to "kill heroin in five" by restricting the availability of other prescription medications. Are you surprised? There is an opioid problem, but I don't think knee jerk reactions are the solution there, either.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Too true on both accounts... I have a teenager, and he has the poor teenage facial hair judgment!

My era - parental solution to this >... "go shave or else" ... there was not "or what?" coming back from kids ... there were enough answers that we didn't dare.
    which I think is still the appropriate solution.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    My era - parental solution to this >... "go shave or else" ... there was not "or what?" coming back from kids ... there were enough answers that we didn't dare.
    Same way that I grew up and also the same way my son is growing up.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

I, too, was raised in that environment. However, if I'm reading Kirk's post correctly, his young man is a senior and an adult. Mine, on the other hand, is not yet, and he will try to get away with it until I "strongly suggest" that he shaves.

Also, my son is not yet able to grow the magnificent beard that Kirk's son is sporting!

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    All through High school I had a 'stash & no one expressed any concern over it, but the old man got livid over the length of my hair! I allowed my 2 sons to make their own choices on these 2 items. I thought they were rather unimportant. However; I would not stand for their pants hanging off their arses, or wearing ball caps backwards. They grew up to be fine men.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

So is Bosma, so there's that...

When the bill is a bill, we read the bill, discuss, ARC LIGHT our representatives with e-mails, calls, letters, post cards, etc. When it shows up in committee, we show up.

Top Bottom