• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Didn't see this covered yet, outgoing commies are passing new regs before they hit the road-

https://www.chicagotribune.com/subu...Y9y61wtwmXNEVSpfihV59K3BDreK5cog6MhH6n5C4Fu3c

There is no actual wording listed but the reporting says 300 feet from a property line and only on agricultural zone land with special planing zone board exemptions.

Also some vague "safety zone" garbage where it's based on manufacture distances or some nonsense and "built to state specifications"... which last I checked don't even exist.

What a total crock.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I've been warning folks since October about this.

If you Lake County folks only want to shoot at licensed, approved, commercial shooting ranges... don't worry you're headed there quickly.

Otherwise, gather up your friends, family neighbors and strangers. Pass out pitchforks and properly worded index cards for talking points and GO ATTEND THESE READINGS. Speak out, call your County Rep and make your displeasure known.

This is the government of the cities regulating the people of the country without public discussion/consent. They haven't come to take your powder (yet), but if you can't practice then you're not going to be effective either.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    People from Lake County aren't like people from Laporte county. At least we packed the house when they tried that over here.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    So what is the minimum Ag Zone size according to Lake County?

This isn't really that important, since the zoning board will become the Special Approvers for any private range creation/usage. You might have 1000ac of AG land but without the proper zoning exemptions, you can't have a range.

And if you don't think this affects you because you don't have/want a private range to shoot at: Where do you think these shooters will go?
    Public ranges (indoor & outdoor) are going to get much busier as these shooting enthusiasts won't simply give up their range time.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm not from that area, I genuinely have no idea what I'm talking about BUUuuuut...
    Every conversation I have with friends from that area seem to boil down to pissing contests and back room deals involving big business, big politics, power leverage, and zoning changes so a guy with connections can make tons of money...
    I have nothing against making money. I don't get the impression it is an old school Chicago "mob environment", but for some reason the culture of dirty politics and shady business dealings always seem a little more dirty and shady the closer you get to Chicago.
    To the point I anticipate this little to nothing to do with safety and everything to do with either anti gun people making life that much harder or if a business entity is pushing it so you have fewer options outside of visiting their ranges.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    And I'm still surprised at the lack of response being shown by Lake County residents.

If you need assistance, I'm sure we can help you with a [STRIKE]posse[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]mob[/STRIKE] group of outspoken 2A supporters.
    The optics don't look too good though, if the only opposition to the measure comes from non-constituents.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    This isn't really that important, since the zoning board will become the Special Approvers for any private range creation/usage. You might have 1000ac of AG land but without the proper zoning exemptions, you can't have a range.

This and if one person complains, that can be the "excuse" to yank any special exemption as well. It's a creep and when they tried the gun ban in LaPorte County not that long ago, they were trying to say "That's what they do in neighboring counties" as a justification for their treachery.

Make no mistake about it, the progressives trying to get those tax dollars from ILL move ins are doing everything they can to NW Indiana into Illinois.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    ymf7ZVG.jpg
    I am not clear on if I will be able to continue shooting. I am on slightly over an acre. I have a berm on the north west corner of my property. I am zoned agricultural. All nearby dwellings are well over 100 yards away except my own home that is about fifty yards behind me when I shoot. There is a couple miles of cornfields behind my berm. My berm and my shooting point are close to the property line which is corn field. Not sure if I will fall within their rules. That is my property circled in the pic.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    Maybe I'm missing something from other threads on this but wouldn't this clearly fall into the purview of the preemption law?

They can pass all the ordinances they want but enforcing them is another matter.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I am not clear on if I will be able to continue shooting. I am on slightly over an acre. I have a berm on the north west corner of my property. I am zoned agricultural. All nearby dwellings are well over 100 yards away except my own home that is about fifty yards behind me when I shoot. There is a couple miles of cornfields behind my berm. My berm and my shooting point are close to the property line which is corn field. Not sure if I will fall within their rules. That is my property circled in the pic.

As I read your post, I think you do NOT have a zoning exemption based on a petition/approval from the zoning board (I don't think that anyone does yet...) which would allow for ANY range, regardless of distance/size.
    Again, as I understand (& IANAL) this means you would be in violation of this county ordinance for using a shooting range on your property.

Maybe I'm missing something from other threads on this but wouldn't this clearly fall into the purview of the preemption law?
    They can pass all the ordinances they want but enforcing them is another matter.

So, this has nothing to do with where you can carry a firearm. This relates to where you can shoot your firearm.
    And there are already many laws that regulate firearm discharges within city limits.

This expands that limitation to unincorporated parts of Lake county, unless you are on AG zoned property AND have a zoning exemption for a shooting range.
    Distance restrictions (from dwellings & beyond backstop) are still in debate (2nd part of the ordinance).

Last edited:

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    No I don't have any zoning exemption and looking at this again it doesn't look like I would be able to get one with the 300 foot from the property line rule. So now it looks like I have a archery target back stop with 25k pounds of sand and 30 RR ties. I just sent Eldon Strong a polite message on facebook. He is easy to find and message on FB if you are on FB.

Last edited:

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    To many people that are transplants who moved from the city are coming to lowell and complaining about people shooting guns. I see so many people ***** about it on our towns facebook page

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :popcorn:
    As someone stated above Lake County is not like LaPort in which the masses will come with pitchforks.
    It is more about the money here. No amount of masses with pitchforlk will have stopped this.
    If a lake county resident wants a private home range s/he will need to pony up $$$$ in back room deals to those board members or say be friends with the Hammond Mayor (again $$$$$) to ensure they get their exemption and any complains are brushed away.

"That iz da Lake County Way."

Top Bottom