• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Well - I just added it to the Legislation list - but this deserves its own thread to follow - I hope it gets pushed.

[h=4]DIGEST[/h]Handgun training for teachers. Creates a specialized firearms safety, education, and training curriculum (curriculum) for teachers. Specifies curriculum requirements. Authorizes funds from the Indiana safe schools fund to be used for curriculum related expenses. Provides that a person responsible for a justified use of force on school property is immune from civil liability and damages, including punitive damages, for any act or omission related to the person's justified use of force in certain instances. Provides that no entity or person, by reason of an agency relationship with a person responsible for a justified use of force on school property, may be held liable for damages, including punitive damages, for any act or omission related to the person's justified use of force on school property. Provides that the immunity concerning a justified use of force on school property prohibits the filing of any claim or action by the: (1) estate; (2) personal representative; (3) spouse; or (4) family member; of any person alleging injury or damages related to a justified use of force on school property. Repeals all provisions prohibiting the carrying or possession of a firearm on a: (1) school bus; or (2) property; that is owned or operated by a school. Defines certain terms. Makes conforming amendments.

House Bill 1253 - Handgun training for teachers - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    This bill looks great! One question: I read it as removing the prohibition on 'lawful possession' on school property--I assume that=LTCH--but it also mandates a 24 hour training program for teachers to be armed. I assume this will be a condition for parents with LTCHs too?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    HB 1253 has a lot of similar training requirements as Rep Judy's HB 1129. A lot of the same required areas covered but not a copy/paste like the D's on storage and attacking ARs.

1253 also has a provision on emergencies (no hurricane Katrina-like gun confiscation). As BB3 stated, it repeals IC 35-47 Chapter 9: Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This bill looks great! One question: I read it as removing the prohibition on 'lawful possession' on school property--I assume that=LTCH--but it also mandates a 24 hour training program for teachers to be armed. I assume this will be a condition for parents with LTCHs too?

I dig your question, my answer is, "I really don't know." How this would work with federal law, are there other applicable Indiana Statutes? Can I get an INGO lawyer please?

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I dig your question, my answer is, "I really don't know." How this would work with federal law, are there other applicable Indiana Statutes? Can I get an INGO lawyer please?

IANAL nor IANAINGOL ... but will try ...

Several (# to be determined) other states (UTAH comes to my mind) if you have an LTCH (or their equivalent) you are permitted to carry (concealed generally) in/on school property ... TECHNICALLY ... from what I've read - you need the LTCH to be able to carry "NEAR" school property based on federal GFZ laws (like "near" the state house) ...
    ... but ... not 100% certain -

Paging INGO Lawyers. ...

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    IANAL nor IANAINGOL ... but will try ...

Several (# to be determined) other states (UTAH comes to my mind) if you have an LTCH (or their equivalent) you are permitted to carry (concealed generally) in/on school property ... TECHNICALLY ... from what I've read - you need the LTCH to be able to carry "NEAR" school property based on federal GFZ laws (like "near" the state house) ...
    ... but ... not 100% certain -

Paging INGO Lawyers. ...

I'll turn up the volume on the page. PAGING LAWYERS, INGO LAWYERS, PLEASE WEIGH-IN ON HB 1253! That oughta do it.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    LOL just saw this. Yes, off the top of my head under the much vaunted but virtually never prosecuted gun free school zones act, a license to carry of some sort valid in the state in question is generally going to be necessary. I will pull the code up when I’m not on a phone.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    LOL just saw this. Yes, off the top of my head under the much vaunted but virtually never prosecuted gun free school zones act, a license to carry of some sort valid in the state in question is generally going to be necessary. I will pull the code up when I’m not on a phone.

Thanks Fargo!

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Paging all INGO lawyers! HB 1253 is up in committee at 0830 on Monday. It has "Repeals all provisions prohibiting the carrying or possession of a firearm on a: (1) school bus; or (2) property; that is owned or operated by a school." Please explain how this works with the federal GFZ law. Feel free to dumb it down for someone with a south Alabama education.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Federal law can be ignored if the President wants it that way. Lots of dope being smoked in some states now.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    NAL but would guess the repeal only applies to those who have successfully completed the training.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    NAL but would guess the repeal only applies to those who have successfully completed the training.
    Hell Coach, you'd probably have to go through the training, and you could teach it! If I'm there Monday morning that will be on my list of bullet points (no pun intended.)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Hell Coach, you'd probably have to go through the training, and you could teach it! If I'm there Monday morning that will be on my list of bullet points (no pun intended.)

I would like to be do the training. I have been a full time public school teacher since 1993. Do a fair amount of firearms training as both student and teacher. How many people out there can claim those things and a Master classification?

I hope this passes then the school cannot stop me from carrying.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I would like to be do the training. I have been a full time public school teacher since 1993. Do a fair amount of firearms training as both student and teacher. How many people out there can claim those things and a Master classification?

I hope this passes then the school cannot stop me from carrying.
    How does your schedule look for Monday Coach? It would be great to have a teacher in the room not wearing a shirt paid for by Bloomberg and Soros.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Paging all INGO lawyers! HB 1253 is up in committee at 0830 on Monday. It has "Repeals all provisions prohibiting the carrying or possession of a firearm on a: (1) school bus; or (2) property; that is owned or operated by a school." Please explain how this works with the federal GFZ law. Feel free to dumb it down for someone with a south Alabama education.
    The GFSZA has a exception for LTCH holders.

B)Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm(i)on private property not part of schoolgrounds;

(ii)if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by theState in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of theState,and the law of theState or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of theState or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii)that is—(I)not loaded; and

(II)in a locked container, or a locked firearmsrack that is on a motor vehicle;

(iv)by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;

(v)by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or anemployer of the individual;

(vi)by a law enforcement officeracting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii)that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing schoolpremises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on schoolpremises is authorized by schoolauthorities.

Top Bottom