Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

HB 1253 Handgun Training for Teachers

Well - I just added it to the Legislation list - but this deserves its own thread to follow - I hope it gets pushed.

DIGEST

Handgun training for teachers. Creates a specialized firearms safety, education, and training curriculum (curriculum) for teachers. Specifies curriculum requirements. Authorizes funds from the Indiana safe schools fund to be used for curriculum related expenses. Provides that a person responsible for a justified use of force on school property is immune from civil liability and damages, including punitive damages, for any act or omission related to the person's justified use of force in certain instances. Provides that no entity or person, by reason of an agency relationship with a person responsible for a justified use of force on school property, may be held liable for damages, including punitive damages, for any act or omission related to the person's justified use of force on school property. Provides that the immunity concerning a justified use of force on school property prohibits the filing of any claim or action by the: (1) estate; (2) personal representative; (3) spouse; or (4) family member; of any person alleging injury or damages related to a justified use of force on school property. Repeals all provisions prohibiting the carrying or possession of a firearm on a: (1) school bus; or (2) property; that is owned or operated by a school. Defines certain terms. Makes conforming amendments.

House Bill 1253 - Handgun training for teachers - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session
    "Brother" Bill - BB3 - Information Analyst, Indiana Moms Against Gun Control

User Info Menu

Per Kelly (HEY THERE"S A THREAD FOR THIS) ... this one goes to House EDUCATION committee:

House Committee on Education - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brotherbill3 View Post
    Per Kelly (HEY THERE"S A THREAD FOR THIS) ... this one goes to House EDUCATION committee:

House Committee on Education - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session
    You are on fire tonight Bill. I'm on my third reading, with all the other references it is a bit confusing. I'm liking what I'm seeing.
    INGOer #25,448

Expert

User Info Menu

This bill looks great! One question: I read it as removing the prohibition on 'lawful possession' on school property--I assume that=LTCH--but it also mandates a 24 hour training program for teachers to be armed. I assume this will be a condition for parents with LTCHs too?

User Info Menu

HB 1253 has a lot of similar training requirements as Rep Judy's HB 1129. A lot of the same required areas covered but not a copy/paste like the D's on storage and attacking ARs.

1253 also has a provision on emergencies (no hurricane Katrina-like gun confiscation). As BB3 stated, it repeals IC 35-47 Chapter 9: Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses.
    INGOer #25,448

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GIJEW View Post
    This bill looks great! One question: I read it as removing the prohibition on 'lawful possession' on school property--I assume that=LTCH--but it also mandates a 24 hour training program for teachers to be armed. I assume this will be a condition for parents with LTCHs too?
    I dig your question, my answer is, "I really don't know." How this would work with federal law, are there other applicable Indiana Statutes? Can I get an INGO lawyer please?
    INGOer #25,448

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    I dig your question, my answer is, "I really don't know." How this would work with federal law, are there other applicable Indiana Statutes? Can I get an INGO lawyer please?
    IANAL nor IANAINGOL ... but will try ...

Several (# to be determined) other states (UTAH comes to my mind) if you have an LTCH (or their equivalent) you are permitted to carry (concealed generally) in/on school property ... TECHNICALLY ... from what I've read - you need the LTCH to be able to carry "NEAR" school property based on federal GFZ laws (like "near" the state house) ...
    ... but ... not 100% certain -

Paging INGO Lawyers. ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brotherbill3 View Post
    IANAL nor IANAINGOL ... but will try ...

Several (# to be determined) other states (UTAH comes to my mind) if you have an LTCH (or their equivalent) you are permitted to carry (concealed generally) in/on school property ... TECHNICALLY ... from what I've read - you need the LTCH to be able to carry "NEAR" school property based on federal GFZ laws (like "near" the state house) ...
    ... but ... not 100% certain -

Paging INGO Lawyers. ...
    I'll turn up the volume on the page. PAGING LAWYERS, INGO LAWYERS, PLEASE WEIGH-IN ON HB 1253! That oughta do it.
    INGOer #25,448

User Info Menu

I'll turn up the volume on the page. PAGING LAWYERS, INGO LAWYERS, PLEASE WEIGH-IN ON HB 1253! That oughta do it.
    Bump, can I get a lawyer here?
    INGOer #25,448

User Info Menu

Bump, can I get a lawyer here?
    We may need to be able to tag them - or "Gibbs Slap" them ... ... I can't find the :slap: thing - did you guys thin out all the cool emoticons?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast