Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

SCOTUS Relists NY State Rifle & Pistol Assoc v City of NY

https://www.scotusblog.com/2019/01/r...2/#more-278524

As I understand it, “relisting” means they looked at it before but passed...but they’re considering looking at it again. Also as I understand it most cases the SCOTUS ultimately rules on have been resisted at least once.

At the link I posted you have to scroll down to find the case.

User Info Menu

That's not really what "relisted" means in this context.

If you click on the case, you're taken to the docket.

https://www.scotusblog.com/case-file...york-new-york/

There, you'll see that it has been "distributed for conference" a couple times. That's what it means, its been "relisted" to be discussed at the conference meeting of the Supremes. You are correct that it is not unusual for big cases to have multiple conferences.

Although not a sure thing, the more conferences, the more likely it is to result in an actual opinion. (IMHO)

Every case that will actually be considered gets "listed" to be distributed at the conference. There, the justices can discuss the cases amongst themselves, get a feeling for where people are on it, and see who might be writing opinions.

Most often, if no one wants to actually hear the case, it gets listed once and certiorari is denied.

ETA:
    It doesn't get "relisted" because it was rejected. Rather, it is more just in limbo, with ongoing conferences, until a decision is made about what to do with it.

ETA 2:

Heller was distributed for conference ("listed") twice.
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....les/07-290.htm

Also, it looks like the NY case is relisted for conference on the 18th.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....ic/18-280.html
    Last edited by T.Lex; 01-14-2019 at 13:23.
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

Ok thanks, But I’m not seeing a huge difference here?

In any case good to know it’s still in the hopper

User Info Menu

I just wanted to make clear that getting re-listed doesn't mean it was rejected, then came back.

Rather, getting re-listed is proof that it wasn't rejected... yet.

The routine cases only get listed once, then certiorari is denied. So this case is definitely getting some extra attention.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    I just wanted to make clear that getting re-listed doesn't mean it was rejected, then came back.

Rather, getting re-listed is proof that it wasn't rejected... yet.

The routine cases only get listed once, then certiorari is denied. So this case is definitely getting some extra attention.

In simple, broad brush terms does this mean they are mulling it over, trying to figure out if it is something that needs to be addressed? Basically tabled for awhile, think about it, then get back to it?

Thanks,

Doug
    Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate: "To every man upon this earth, Death cometh soon or late.
    And how can a man die better, Than facing fearful odds, For the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?" - T.B. Macaulay

"Idiocracy wasn't a movie. It was prophecy." - CathyInBlue

"Agent Mulder, every life, every day, is in danger. That's just life." - W. Skinner, X-Files S2E8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian01 View Post

In simple, broad brush terms does this mean they are mulling it over, trying to figure out if it is something that needs to be addressed? Basically tabled for awhile, think about it, then get back to it?

Thanks,

Doug
    Yeah, that's one reading of the tea leaves.

Basically, enough of them think there may be something interesting there that they don't want to get rid of it yet. It is still too soon to say what "there" might be there, though.

User Info Menu

Everyone should own an Uzi

User Info Menu

Boo-yah.

User Info Menu

so on the merits of the case....state preemption for every state? possible national reciprocity? abolishing "may issue"?
    Last edited by SwikLS; 01-22-2019 at 14:56.

Master

User Info Menu

I'm glad the supreme court has decided to hear a 2A case. This one seems like a slam-dunk. But of all of the gun-rights restrictions in NY and elsewhere, this seems like small potatoes. Why are SC 2A cases covering such narrow questions when much larger infringements are easy to find?

Antifa is garbage.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast