NWI
    I wrote asking him to oppose The AWB '19 and Red Flag Laws

Senator Todd Young <contact@young.senate.gov>
    3:35 PM (5 hours ago)
    cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
    cleardot.gif
    Dear Blue Falcon

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun violence and the 2nd Amendment. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.
    On May 25, 2018, I traveled to Noblesville, Indiana following a horrific shooting at Noblesville West Middle School. I met with law enforcement, state and local officials, and first responders to receive an update on the situation and the injured student and teacher. As a Hoosier and a father of four young children, I am heartbroken by the events that occurred that day. Our schools should be sanctuaries of learning where our children can learn, grow, and prosper. Never should the classroom be a place where our children – the future of this nation – feel concerned for their safety and never should our schools be a place where a student, teacher, or community member finds himself or herself in the line of fire.
    It is unclear what motivates a young person to engage in such senseless violence, but we owe it to our children to find out. We must resolve to work together on this, to better understand this tragedy so that we can take lawful and effective measures to prevent this from happening again. Our children deserve no less.

As your Senator, I respect that Hoosiers have strong and diverse feelings on how to prevent gun violence while upholding 2nd Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans. I know we all share a common desire to prevent acts of gun violence. That’s why I have supported increased school safety, improved mental health services, common-sense fixes to criminal background checks, and increased penalties for illegal possession of guns.

I helped introduce the Students, Teachers, and Officers Preventing (STOP) School Violence Act, which will help improve school safety infrastructure, resources, and procedures to prevent school violence.This bill was signed into law in March.
    I also co-sponsored the Fix NICS Act to improve criminal background checks. This important bill will hold federal agencies accountable if they do not report information to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, encourage states to upload relevant records to the system, and prevent dangerous individuals from purchasing a firearm. This also became law in March.

Additionally, I have helped introduce two bills that have not yet become law. The School Safety and Mental Health Services Improvement Act seeks to improve mental health services for youth. The Protecting Communities and Preserving the Second Amendment Act imposes more severe penalties on individuals who attempt to illegally procure firearms, creates a task force to streamline federal prosecution of felons and fugitives attempting to buy guns, commissions a study on the causes of mass shootings, and authorizes grants for states and localities to secure schools.

I also support incentivizing states to adopt red flag laws, like the one in Indiana, which ensures those with potentially life-saving information have a place to report it and legal gun owners have due process to defend their rights.
    As this debate moves forward, please be assured that I will continue to support efforts to prevent violence while upholding the 2nd Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans.
    Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to represent you in the United States Senate.

Sincerely,
    Todd Young
    United States Senator

Emphasis mine.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    So if someone falsifies a statement that causes an honest person to be "SWATed" and the statement is later found to be false and malicious, will that person face consequences?

As stated in another thread, the Red Flag Law is one more crushing blow to our constitutional rights.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I would do anything in my power to sue that other person into the dirt. I would think lawyers would be all over that. I'm not sure even how effective Red Flag laws are, truth be told. If the person is like any regular hoosier, they only can take what hasnt been lost in a boating accident, and if they are really meaning to cause some violence, they would steal, killl, or find some other way to cause their viiolence. I dont see why we limit firearms, at 16 I could buy bulk fireworks VERY cheaply, tinker with them and make a pipe bomb...

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I think Young is about 60% better than a DemocRat in office. He is definitely not conservative in either policy or fiscal restraint.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Can you see them adding a "duty to act" to the red flag law? Think of the possibilities. Instead of the news showing up interviewing family members about what a good person they were, the police show up hauling everyone to jail as accomplices because they didn't notify authorities of the impending act.

Yes, I know this is a stretch. People can point out there is little to no precedent, but there never is until it changes...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think Young is about 60% better than a DemocRat in office. He is definitely not conservative in either policy or fiscal restraint.

He's a Marine, served in the Corps. Yep a Marine, if you weren't clear.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Just being in the service doesn't mean you love personal freedom. I've seen enough service members that fall in love with being told what to do and where to go and how to act that they think the whole world should be military.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    So if someone falsifies a statement that causes an honest person to be "SWATed" and the statement is later found to be false and malicious, will that person face consequences?

As stated in another thread, the Red Flag Law is one more crushing blow to our constitutional rights.

Just gonna QFT this because it's what I'm thinking and wanting to say.

Top Bottom