• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    The SD House overwhelmingly passed a bill for CC (23-11). It has now moved on to their house where it is expected to pass.

The SD legislature has actually passed this legislation twice before, but it was vetoed by former Governor Dennis Daugaard (R). New Gov. Kristi Noem (R) appears to have a very strong pro-2A record.

Article
    Senate Bill 47

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Here's the story from the Rapid City Journal: https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/l...cle_348830eb-c562-507b-b2bf-9b52ef52051e.html

Here is an article from the RCJ's Seth Tupper on the history of concealed carry in SoDak: https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/l...cle_ceef18e9-7047-52d2-8977-b4ce2b6ddc82.html

In the first article, it was interesting that Schoenbeck sides with his sheriff in opposing constitutional carry: "Sen. Lee Schoenbeck, R-Watertown, said those who would benefit from a permitless concealed carry law are those who would, under current law, be denied a permit for reasons such as a history of violence or a previous conviction.

“I’m sticking with my sheriff on this one,” Schoenbeck said, referring to the South Dakota Sheriffs' Association’s opposition to the bill. The State’s Attorneys Association also opposes SB 47."

Under current law, gun owners are not required to hold a permit to open carry....so how would that stop a person with a history of violence from carrying. Get denied a permit to conceal carry, open carry and you won't have any problems. The thinking of a lot of those in Pierre is troublesome.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This is great for them and good for us! So, congratulations South Dakota.

Each state that moves in this direction does several positive things for all the rest of us who haven't.

#1) With the passage of this law and without a mass killing in the streets it undermines the anti-gun narrative of how horrible everything will be, and;

#2) it creates a greater and greater foundation of a normal status that can be argued against all other laws in the Supreme Court.

So the way I see it a win for South Dakota and any other state is a win for Indiana and a step against tyranny.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom