• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrclean

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    I think I can have my gun loaded in my car as long as it stays in glove box in illinois. Am I right? Also how do I legally get my gun in and out of hotels over there? Thanks in advance!

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    He's asking about Illinois. OP, you may carry it upon your person in Illinois as long as you remain in the vehicle. As far as hotels, I don't want to give you bad advice. I hope someone else can chime in. I can give you my thoughts based on logic, but logic doesn't fall in line with Illinois gun laws.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The firearm cannot exit the vehicle while loaded.
    You must unload and lock up the firearm BEFORE exiting the vehicle.
    This includes getting out to pump gas, go to the bathroom, check into hotel, enter a restaurant for dinner...

Technically, if you stop on the side of the road and get out of the vehicle to stretch, you should have emptied your firearm and locked it up before your stretch.

Ignorant as hell, I know, but that's Illinois.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Indiana License To Carry and driving through Illinois sucks but it's better than it used to be. Yes you can still keep it on you and/or in the car while driving. But when getting out of the car, I believe, it needs to be left in the car out of sight and locked. As in a lock type box OR the car is the lock box.

While getting gas in IL I had an interesting thought.
    Gun is holstered I get out to pump the gas but technically I leave my door open and my hand never stops touching my car to whole time while gassing up. Am I technically out of my car? I'm just doing stuff to my car at my car but never LEFT my car at anytime. :):

Same thought as stopping to check the engine under the hood or putting air in the tires. I'm still at my car so I consider this OK. Although some will say that I just violated.... whatever they want to say.

Same thought also if you are stopped and need to leave your car but wish to put the gun in the trunk.
    Silly but are you allowed to exit the car and walk back to the trunk with your gun or do you have to open the window climb on to the roof and somehow get the trunk opened while your on top of it and throw the gun into it before jumping to the ground.

Hey I played "Don't Touch the Lava" as a kid so I'm pretty good at that.

Say I'm overthinking all you want but then tell me it all matters on what the cop had for breakfast or if he got laid that night before cause it's a gray area.... No thank you.

I rarely go to Illinois and when I do I'm passing through.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I AM NOT a lawyer.

If I am not mistaken, FOID holders could transport guns in their vehicle if they we NOT loaded and in a secured compartment (not easily accessible); ammo separate from gun. Out of state must follow these same rules?

There are better resources than my post.

Loaded in the glove box would not be legal.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I AM NOT a lawyer.

If I am not mistaken, FOID holders could transport guns in their vehicle if they we NOT loaded and in a secured compartment (not easily accessible); ammo separate from gun. Out of state must follow these same rules?

Please take the time to read the law.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    If you have a license you do not have to unload the gun to leave it in the vehicle. Stop touching the gun more then you have too.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    You guys should have seen CA when I lived there.
    You can only transport your gun to and from the range, an FFL dealer, a gunsmith, or if you're moving. The gun had to be in a locked gun box or gun case and the empty magazine could not be with the gun in the case. The ammo had to back into the original box or container it was bought with. Couldn't be loose in the car at all.

That's when I lived there, I'm sure it's change 10 times both ways by now.
    Yet somehow I had my gun with me 24/7 and I was always on my way to the range, a dealer or a gunsmith.. Always. :):

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    He's asking about Illinois. OP, you may carry it upon your person in Illinois as long as you remain in the vehicle. As far as hotels, I don't want to give you bad advice. I hope someone else can chime in. I can give you my thoughts based on logic, but logic doesn't fall in line with Illinois gun laws.

I work in ch***go. As an Indiana resident with a ltch, my firearm(s)(I go shooting with buddies often), has to remain in my vehicle. I can also carry on private property with the owners owner's blessing, and at a shooting range (Southside Chicago does not count). I have the law printed in my glove box just in case a cop isn't aware of the particulars. Definitely read the law thoroughly. I assume the above link states the same.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I AM NOT a lawyer.

If I am not mistaken, FOID holders could transport guns in their vehicle if they we NOT loaded and in a secured compartment (not easily accessible); ammo separate from gun. Out of state must follow these same rule?

Please re-read my post and explain where I misquoted. I'd appreciate it.
    Indiana LTCH holder before the law change could store their handgun in the center consul with the loaded mag right next to the handgun. After Illinois ccw law Indiana LTCH holders can now have their loaded handgun on them while they are in the vehicle. There are a lot of threads on this very subject that go into great depths about it. Just do a quick search “LTCH Illinois”

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Indiana LTCH holder before the law change could store their handgun in the center consul with the loaded mag right next to the handgun. After Illinois ccw law Indiana LTCH holders can now have their loaded handgun on them while they are in the vehicle. There are a lot of threads on this very subject that go into great depths about it. Just do a quick search “LTCH Illinois”

Thank you......

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    Interesting. Years back when I delivered food across state lines in to Illinois I always assumed that I was breaking the law to have a loaded firearm in the center console in Illinois. I have my Indiana lifetime carry permit as well but I assumed that ammunition and gun had to be kept separate while in Illinois.

Top Bottom