• ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Capture.jpg

“We’re gonna let them know that we are sick and tired of being penalized for Baltimore City’s inability to control crime,” Lewis told the room in a video that circulated on social media. “If these bills pass, we will not comply.”

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/county-sheriff-resistance-gun-laws/

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Good for him. The comments about how "Any law enforcement official who refuses to enforce the laws of the state isn't fit for office" make me sick.

REFUSING TO ENFORCE UNCONSTITUTIONAL LAWS IS EXACTLY WHAT WE SWORE AN OATH TO DO

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Better late than never I guess, but MD is already very far down this path.

Lewis has worked in law enforcement for 35 years. He said he was not opposed to every piece of gun legislation that has been introduced to the Maryland General Assembly. Rather, he only raises issue with the bills that would “further encroach or infringe upon law-abiding citizens’ right to bear arms.”

So he's OK with current infringements, it's just the new ones he doesn't like?

Kind of a weak stance if you ask me, but I guess it's a start.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Good for him. The comments about how "Any law enforcement official who refuses to enforce the laws of the state isn't fit for office" make me sick.

REFUSING TO ENFORCE UNCONSTITUTIONAL LAWS IS EXACTLY WHAT WE SWORE AN OATH TO DO

The same people saying that, are probably okay with "sanctuary cities".

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    He understands that these bills are pushing things into dangerous territory:

“The way the bill is written, it is impossible to comply,” Lewis said Monday. “I can’t send (my deputies) on a suicide mission.”
    Sending out officers to take guns away from law-abiding citizens will likely result in those citizens defending their rights and shooting the officers, Lewis said.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    He understands that these bills are pushing things into dangerous territory:

“The way the bill is written, it is impossible to comply,” Lewis said Monday. “I can’t send (my deputies) on a suicide mission.”
    Sending out officers to take guns away from law-abiding citizens will likely result in those citizens defending their rights and shooting the officers, Lewis said.

tenor.gif

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    Pardon me if I'm repeating myself, but just because a law cannot or will not be enforced doesn't mean it will have no effect. They'll use it to make examples of prominent or merely unlucky individuals. They'll use it to stack charges. They'll use it to paint the average gun owner as a hooligan with no respect for the law, and use that image as impetus for further infringements. It will create a chilling effect, as there are many on the fence who, in the face of such laws, would simply choose not to exercise their RTKBA when they otherwise might have.

Furthermore, the increasing tendency for members of one tribe to refuse to enforce or abide by the laws of the other, whether that be immigration law, gun law, or anything else, paints a picture of two distinct cultures nearing the point where they are unable to continue living under the same roof.
    This does not bode well for the stability of our republic.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Pardon me if I'm repeating myself, but just because a law cannot or will not be enforced doesn't mean it will have no effect. They'll use it to make examples of prominent or merely unlucky individuals. They'll use it to stack charges. They'll use it to paint the average gun owner as a hooligan with no respect for the law, and use that image as impetus for further infringements. It will create a chilling effect, as there are many on the fence who, in the face of such laws, would simply choose not to exercise their RTKBA when they otherwise might have.

Furthermore, the increasing tendency for members of one tribe to refuse to enforce or abide by the laws of the other, whether that be immigration law, gun law, or anything else, paints a picture of two distinct cultures nearing the point where they are unable to continue living under the same roof.
    This does not bode well for the stability of our republic.

Yup. I absolutely agree with the sentiment, but the state is hardly going to shrug its shoulders and go "oh well, guess we'll repeal our unenforceable law". They'll double down, they'll vote away the power of the sheriffs, they'll start new state agencies to go after gun owners, and they'll attack production and ammunition until you're sitting at home with your rifle and your last five rounds grumbling "I still ain't complying".

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yup. I absolutely agree with the sentiment, but the state is hardly going to shrug its shoulders and go "oh well, guess we'll repeal our unenforceable law". They'll double down, they'll vote away the power of the sheriffs, they'll start new state agencies to go after gun owners, and they'll attack production and ammunition until you're sitting at home with your rifle and your last five rounds grumbling "I still ain't complying".

Have you stopped to consider how many billions of rounds of ammo We the People have? The Fudds may he grumbling about only having five shotgun shells left but those of us with “assault rifles” and “high capacity magazines” will be doing a lot of “shooting” before we get down to our last five rounds.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Some basic math, In “round” numbers:

300 million firearms in the USA, each with only 20 rounds on hand...

SIX BILLION ROUNDS, and that’s most likely a WAY LOW estimate.

’MURICA!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Pffft, I have more than 100 rounds of ammunition for a gun that is completely disassembled and has been for 5 years. Think about how many rounds I have for the guns that actually operate.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Have you stopped to consider how many billions of rounds of ammo We the People have? The Fudds may he grumbling about only having five shotgun shells left but those of us with “assault rifles” and “high capacity magazines” will be doing a lot of “shooting” before we get down to our last five rounds.

Gonna have that five years down the road after sales stop? Ten? Twenty? Thirty? Got places to stash it where the search and seizure teams won't find it? Can you train, function check, or confirm zeroes when the public has turned so anti-gun that the sound of a single suspected gunshot draws response from five counties?

The notion that all the gun control in the world can pass at the state and national level and things will be hunky-dory for you forever because the sheriff shall not'ed is laughable. The state won't need the sheriff to come after you. They'll just do it themselves, or replace him with someone who will.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Gonna have that five years down the road after sales stop? Ten? Twenty? Thirty? Got places to stash it where the search and seizure teams won't find it? Can you train, function check, or confirm zeroes when the public has turned so anti-gun that the sound of a single suspected gunshot draws response from five counties?

The notion that all the gun control in the world can pass at the state and national level and things will be hunky-dory for you forever because the sheriff shall not'ed is laughable. The state won't need the sheriff to come after you. They'll just do it themselves, or replace him with someone who will.

Where to start with this one??? You paint a bleak picture here. Way overboard, IMHO. Yes, I will have ammo 30 years out if sales stop (they won't). Search and seizure teams for ammo? C'mon, they better hire a LOT of people to carry that one out. People willing to... <can't say that here>. Training, function checking, confirming zeroes? In a true SHTF or WROL these will go on, even if "on the fly" so to speak. A single suspected gunshot brings a response from five counties? What are you smoking? I guess a diversion with fireworks would work in that case. Or are fireworks banned in your future scenario too? And I never said things will be hunky dory just because my local Sheriff might refuse to enforce Federal gun laws so laugh at someone else.

Bracken Anthology #16, man. Just like tbhausen said. Read it.

You also questioned whether anyone would have enough ammo on hand in a situation where one wouldn’t be able to use it anyway. Contradictory.

Last edited:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    So he's standing up against these laws because of the danger to his officers, not because he truly respects the second amendment - or more importantly, the base right for life/liberty. Thanks for the platitudes, sheriff, but no thanks.

Please read the article. The sheriff that you just slandered is a 2A supporter and was informing the legislature of the possible results of this legislation.

Top Bottom