• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2016
    Howard County
    In some places like Texas, if you have a ccw you do not have to fill out a 4473 to purchase. Is there any conceivable way to get this in IN? All things considered, this check is far more intrusive than the 4473 and it would save us a bit of time on something that has already been done to us.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Didn't we used to have this, back in the day?

If I recall correctly, there is something about our LTCH process that the feds don't like, so they won't accept our license. It may be the "lifetime" thing.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The 5-year NICS exempt LTCH is now an amendment to SB 119. It was formerly known as HB 1643.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Might be a similar issue to Illinois foid card. Most ignore the whole turning it back in. Then you have ineligible folks buying guns. But :dunno: fed>state rights

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    For a short time in Indiana you could use your permit to carry and not have to go thru the waiting period. In that time was a shorter time where it exempted you from having to get your prints taken at the FFL.

Things have changed a lot since then.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The 5-year NICS exempt LTCH is now an amendment to SB 119. It was formerly known as HB 1643.

This^^^^^ if this bill passes, getting the 5 year ltch permit will exempt you from the NICS check, so lets help push this bill thru!

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    This^^^^^ if this bill passes, getting the 5 year ltch permit will exempt you from the NICS check, so lets help push this bill thru!

I don't understand this. Is it a stepping stone to get rid of the NICS completely? Otherwise you have to apply for the LTCH every five years. A lot can happen in a five year time frame.

If it is a stepping stone toward getting rid of the NICS I am all for it, and even tho I have a lifetime I would try to swap for the 5 year version.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I've been buying guns since 1968 and NEVER had my fingerprints taken by an FFL. Anyone else care to enlighten me with their story of printing @ an FFL? I feel really left out if I missed this opportunity. I do remember a brief period of a waiting period requirement, and my LTCH at one time did allow me to bypass the NCIS instant background check, but as I recall, I still had to complete the 4473.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Filling out a one page form when purchasing a firearm from an FFL is a heck of a lot easier then renewing a license. Other then some waiting on Saturday’s when NICS is busy it has never been an issue for me. I do understand the frustration some people have with delays and such. My Florida expires in April and I still haven’t found the time to slide by the PD to get fingerprints. Big PITA. But if there are other advantages to a 5 year LTCH like increased recognition from other states then I will go through the process.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In some places like Texas, if you have a ccw you do not have to fill out a 4473 to purchase. Is there any conceivable way to get this in IN? All things considered, this check is far more intrusive than the 4473 and it would save us a bit of time on something that has already been done to us.

You are misconstruing what is transpiring in Texas and this is leading to confusion and to rhino owing me a case of .45acp.

1. In some places the possession of a valid state license to carry a handgun(s) exempts one from the NICS check. One still must fill out the 4473.

2. Indiana had this from 1998 to October of 2003 then DOJ sent Indiana FFLs prohibiting this because Indiana's background check for LTCH is not as deep as the feds require.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I've been buying guns since 1968 and NEVER had my fingerprints taken by an FFL. Anyone else care to enlighten me with their story of printing @ an FFL? I feel really left out if I missed this opportunity. I do remember a brief period of a waiting period requirement, and my LTCH at one time did allow me to bypass the NCIS instant background check, but as I recall, I still had to complete the 4473.

Sure, I can and will.

From 1974 to 1998 Indiana had a separate application and background check to buy a handgun (coupled with 7 day wait).

If one possessed a LTCH this background check was waived. If one had a badge, one was exempt. If one did not have a LTCH (remember the 4 by 6 one?) or a badge then one was fingerprinted at the dealer. Maybe 1 in 10 of those fingerprinted had decent prints. It was nothing more than a feel good, do nothing law, but regardless it was the law from 1974 to 1998.

Never forget the argument I got into an Indiana FFL who tried to put "waived" instead of "exempt" on my handgun purchase application when I had a badge. Pointless now, but it was a felony for him at the time. Should have let him get prosecuted but it just seemed silly then.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Sure, I can and will.

From 1974 to 1998 Indiana had a separate application and background check to buy a handgun (coupled with 7 day wait).

If one possessed a LTCH this background check was waived. If one had a badge, one was exempt. If one did not have a LTCH (remember the 4 by 6 one?) or a badge then one was fingerprinted at the dealer. Maybe 1 in 10 of those fingerprinted had decent prints. It was nothing more than a feel good, do nothing law, but regardless it was the law from 1974 to 1998.

Thank you sir, for saving me the time to go dig out my old paperwork to provide times. I remember having to take prints and I had no training or concept at the time as to how to do it.

I was an FFL in the early 90's. I dropped it all because they kept changing the rules. Seemed like every week I would get mail stating that now I had to do this or that. At the time it was too much trouble for me, which could be the reason they did it.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Sure, I can and will.

Never forget the argument I got into an Indiana FFL who tried to put "waived" instead of "exempt" on my handgun purchase application when I had a badge. Pointless now, but it was a felony for him at the time. Should have let him get prosecuted but it just seemed silly then.

Thanks for the info. I had a LTCH so I must have missed out on some of the requirements. Never was printed by an FFL. As I recall from 74 into the 90's the rules seemed to change weekly, so I may just have missed some of the more obnoxious ones.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    Sure, I can and will.

I was an FFl during that time period and finger printed many people who didn't have a license . I believe you were required to put "waived" if they had a permit and "exempt" if they were law enforcement.
    If I remember correctly at one time your carry gun had to be registered under Indiana law.

Top Bottom