Travel to MN - IN license no good, now what?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So if an Indiana resident with a valid IN LTCH wants to go to MN is there anyways of carrying CC while in that state? perhaps via a non-resident permit of another state??

travel would be via car from IN into IL into WI and finally MN

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You are screwed unless...

[FONT=&amp]Minnesota Honors Enhanced Resident and Non-Resident Permits from these States:
    Idaho, South Dakota
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    Minnesota Honors Resident and Non-Resident Permits from these States:
    Alaska, Delaware, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, New Jersey, New Mexico, South Carolina, West Virginia
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    Minnesota Honors All Resident and Non-Resident Permits from these States:
    Rhode Island
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    Minnesota Honors Class 1 Resident and Non-Resident Permits from these States:
    North Dakota

[/FONT]

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Stinks because the UT license used to be honored, but they stopped a couple years ago. Definitely diminishes the appeal of visiting the state again :(

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    just another reason NOT to attend the event that jedi was invited to. :]

Good choice.

I simply refuse to travel to any state that does not honor my right to carry. Why should I spend a dime in a state that refuses to recognize that the 2nd Amendment does not stop at that state's border.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Good choice.

I simply refuse to travel to any state that does not honor my right to carry. Why should I spend a dime in a state that refuses to recognize that the 2nd Amendment does not stop at that state's border.

Indiana doesn't honor your right to carry.

They make you get a permission slip (and pay for the privilege)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So if an Indiana resident with a valid IN LTCH wants to go to MN is there anyways of carrying CC while in that state? perhaps via a non-resident permit of another state??

travel would be via car from IN into IL into WI and finally MN

As of today, you have two choices that will allow you to eventually carry in MN without being disarmed as some point.

1. North Dakota
    2. Idaho

Both will require trips to the state to take the training there and with the high level permits from either, you can carry in MN. You can also get a MN out of state, but you have to go there to submit your application in person, even if you take the training out of state (such as in North Dakota).

I had plans to go to North Dakota to do their training and apply for their out of state permit (the version valid in MN) and also take the MN training separately at the same facility. Then after I got my ND permit, my intent was to apply for the MN permit upon my first visit to the state. That was because MN's attorney general has a bad habit of removing states from their reciprocity list (Nevada was removed as I was about to work my plan via a trip to Vegas).

At some point, SWMBO's patience will end and I'll be forced to go to MN. I'll have to complete "the plan" before that happens, but there is no way in hell I can afford the trip since I've been unemployed for so long (which is ironic since I have the time to go now).

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    thanks.
    screwed basically
    Yup, other than what others suggested which will cost you. I have called MN powers that be on this. I was told they are SO easy about this and that I can have the unloaded gun in a case and I believe they said magazines elsewhere. Lot a good that'll do me or anyone else if the need arises!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yup, other than what others suggested which will cost you. I have called MN powers that be on this. I was told they are SO easy about this and that I can have the unloaded gun in a case and I believe they said magazines elsewhere. Lot a good that'll do me or anyone else if the need arises!

Yep. They don't want people carrying guns there. I suspect that the AG would make the MN permit invalid if they could.

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Yep. They don't want people carrying guns there. I suspect that the AG would make the MN permit invalid if they could.

Well, after all, Minnesota is the state that has in the past elected Jesse Ventura and Al Franken to statewide offices and they currently have elected Democrats to five of eight US Congressionals seats, both of their US Senate seats, an overwhelming Democrat majority to state House of Represtentatives and a Democrat as Governor. Only the Minessota state Senate has a slim 3 vote Republican majority. My expectations of the kinds of people they put into office are right there with Illinois, California, Maryland, New Jersey, etc.

Top Bottom