Sure Was Easy To Buy A Gun 100 Years Ago, Sears Just Mailed It...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    "Here we have weapons ranging from the Daisy Air Rifle to “Our $1.55 Revolver,” from shotguns for $7.95 to Marlin Repeating Rifles. Sears, Roebuck & Company also sold ammunition, pistol holders, reloading tools, and cleaners for these weapons.

No one was monitoring these sales. The government had no part in regulation. No one conducted background checks on the buyers. Indeed, Sears brags that it is “the headquarter for everything in guns,” that their prices are below all others, and that “we will send any revolver to any address.”

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org...oebuck-catalogue-teaches-us-about-gun-control

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    "Here we have weapons ranging from the Daisy Air Rifle to “Our $1.55 Revolver,” from shotguns for $7.95 to Marlin Repeating Rifles. Sears, Roebuck & Company also sold ammunition, pistol holders, reloading tools, and cleaners for these weapons.

No one was monitoring these sales. The government had no part in regulation. No one conducted background checks on the buyers. Indeed, Sears brags that it is “the headquarter for everything in guns,” that their prices are below all others, and that “we will send any revolver to any address.”

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org...oebuck-catalogue-teaches-us-about-gun-control

As it should be.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    And funny, back then there were no school shootings, no constant news media ranting about "mass shootings".

I well remember going into Sears (and other stores) with my father and spending time drooling over the "hardware" section.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    As a kid in grade school, I sold all occasion and holiday greeting cards all one summer to earn enough points to purchase a new 22lr bolt acton rifle, marlin I believe.
    One day I came home from grade school and there on the front porch was a big long box laying up against the front door and sure enough it was my new rifle.
    Oh yes, how times have changed.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Fast forward a couple decades, and Sears would ship a fully-automatic Thompson submachine gun to your door for $125. No background check, no tax stamps.

Surely there are endless stories of high school students bringing a Thompson into their school and murdering their classmates.

We all know full well that easy access to "weapons of war" causes violence.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Actually, you could mail order a rifle until 68. I remember rifles being advertised in magazines when I was a kid.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    First rifle I bought was a Win. 94 in .30-30 from...Sears. My son's first rifle was a Mauser in 7.62 NATO with Boy Scout money. Keep the fire alive folks.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    There were a bunch of brands sold by Sears under names like Eastern Arms (made by Stevens), Sears (I have a Winchester Model 1200 that says Sears on it), and Ted Williams.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Born here, live here, obey the laws, pay taxes and you still get to have others decide if you are worthy of your constitutional rights.

How is it everyone else in the world seems somehow deserving of these same rights just by showing up on the doorstep illegally? Hmmmm...

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    100 years? You could mail order a firearm until the GCA of '68. That was only 50 yrs ago (51 in October).

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have a Sears Ranger Model 103, bolt action 22 with tubular magazine. It's made by Marlin, same as a Marlin Model 81, but sold by Sears with the Ranger name.

Top Bottom