Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Sure Was Easy To Buy A Gun 100 Years Ago, Sears Just Mailed It...

"Here we have weapons ranging from the Daisy Air Rifle to “Our $1.55 Revolver,” from shotguns for $7.95 to Marlin Repeating Rifles. Sears, Roebuck & Company also sold ammunition, pistol holders, reloading tools, and cleaners for these weapons.

No one was monitoring these sales. The government had no part in regulation. No one conducted background checks on the buyers. Indeed, Sears brags that it is “the headquarter for everything in guns,” that their prices are below all others, and that “we will send any revolver to any address.”

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/...ut-gun-control

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ingomike View Post
    "Here we have weapons ranging from the Daisy Air Rifle to “Our $1.55 Revolver,” from shotguns for $7.95 to Marlin Repeating Rifles. Sears, Roebuck & Company also sold ammunition, pistol holders, reloading tools, and cleaners for these weapons.

No one was monitoring these sales. The government had no part in regulation. No one conducted background checks on the buyers. Indeed, Sears brags that it is “the headquarter for everything in guns,” that their prices are below all others, and that “we will send any revolver to any address.”

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/...ut-gun-control

As it should be.

User Info Menu

And funny, back then there were no school shootings, no constant news media ranting about "mass shootings".

I well remember going into Sears (and other stores) with my father and spending time drooling over the "hardware" section.

User Info Menu

As a kid in grade school, I sold all occasion and holiday greeting cards all one summer to earn enough points to purchase a new 22lr bolt acton rifle, marlin I believe.
    One day I came home from grade school and there on the front porch was a big long box laying up against the front door and sure enough it was my new rifle.
    Oh yes, how times have changed.
    If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. (Rom12:18)

User Info Menu

Fast forward a couple decades, and Sears would ship a fully-automatic Thompson submachine gun to your door for $125. No background check, no tax stamps.

Surely there are endless stories of high school students bringing a Thompson into their school and murdering their classmates.

We all know full well that easy access to "weapons of war" causes violence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
    I'm picturing you curbstomping yourself, ala Fight Club. All while yelling, "don't worry ma'am, he'll leave you alone after this."
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If you want a real vintage denim hat, you'll probably have to push a hipster off his fixed gear bicycle and, while he's collecting his PBR cans, grab it off his head and run.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by indykid View Post
    And funny, back then there were no school shootings...
    Not entirely true...List of School Shootings in the United States.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alabasterjar View Post
    But, not entirely untrue either. Most of the entries are not about shooting up the school, most sound like typical disputes settled at schools.

User Info Menu

Actually, you could mail order a rifle until 68. I remember rifles being advertised in magazines when I was a kid.

User Info Menu

First rifle I bought was a Win. 94 in .30-30 from...Sears. My son's first rifle was a Mauser in 7.62 NATO with Boy Scout money. Keep the fire alive folks.
    Thor himself has spoken, mere mortals must make it so. - bradmedic04

User Info Menu

There were a bunch of brands sold by Sears under names like Eastern Arms (made by Stevens), Sears (I have a Winchester Model 1200 that says Sears on it), and Ted Williams.
    INGOer #25,448

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast