• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Any rules about carrying firearms on the Applachain trail? Keep hearing about some crazed hillbilly with a knife killing a hiker. I won't be hiking it but unless it's some sort of gun free zone it sounds like people might start carrying.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Found this:

New Firearm Regulations for the National Park Service
    As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms on portions of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail.
    This applies to:

This only applies to lands owned by the U.S. Government and managed by the National Park Service, Appalachian Trail Park Office. This includes 428 miles of trail, 25 % of the trail’s length in 9 of the 14 trail states.
    This does not apply to:
    This does not apply to the Appalachian Trail located on lands owned and managed by the more than 90 other federal, state and local agencies. This includes 1747 miles of trail, 80 % of the trails length across all 14 states. Rules and regulations on these lands are determined by the individual agencies.
    Please note:

The Appalachian National Scenic Trail, a unit of the national park system, is administered by the National Park Service, Appalachian Trail Park Office. The Appalachian Trail spans 2,179 miles across lands administered by 6 other national parks, 8 National Forests, 1 National Wildlife Refuge, and 75 other federal, state, and local agencies. Each one of these agencies has their own rules and regulations which contributes to the complexity of legally carrying a firearm on the Appalachian Trail.
    It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before visiting the Appalachian Trail.
    What has not changed:

• The use of weapons are still prohibited on Appalachian Trail National Park Service lands

• Hunting is still prohibited on Appalachian Trail National Park Service lands

• Firearms are still prohibited inside National Park Service federal facilities

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    When we've done parts of the trail, I have CC'd (in my pack). OC scares the sheeple, and it's no one else's business. Harder to get to in an emergency, but at least I have it. Don't like the extra weight, though.
    Did see several OC on the North Country Trail in Michigan.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    While parts of the trail may be legal you are going through a number of anti-gun eastern states with restrictive/prohibitive carry laws. As soon as you step off (a legal portion) the trail to go into a town for resupply you may be violating any number of state or local laws. Add to that a mix of other hikers who would not hesitate to report you if they found out you had an inanimate object they fear (gun).

If you plan to carry on the AT do a lot of legal research and conceal really well.

The consensus about this recent machete attack on hiking forums is call the authorities and wait a few hours for them to arrive.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.

I love it - that's what I tell my wife when she wants to go out east. I prefer the southwest. It's hard to beat Great Smoky Mountain NP for a reasonable drive time to real mountains. When I backpack there, including the Appalachian trail, I've had a gun and bear spray. Both were for bears - it's true that people problems are very rare in the park backcountry, whereas campsites are repeatedly closed for bear issues there. But even where guns are prohibited, a can of bear spray would put the hurt on Mr. Machete.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would view the Trail the same as a trip to Europe: find another form of self defense. Although in this case, weight is paramount.

I doubt it's as dangerous as you think.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I have absolutely zero desire to do the AT because it's crowded, sleep in designated areas only (huts), and it's east. Never go east.

It's only sort of crowded; less so than most national parks.

You are certainly allowed to set up camp in areas other than the shelters. I personally avoid the shelters.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    It's only sort of crowded; less so than most national parks.

You are certainly allowed to set up camp in areas other than the shelters. I personally avoid the shelters.
    Thanks, I did some research on it few years ago and somehow came up with the wrong conclusion, a simple search shows you are correct. I hiked the Tecumseh Trail a few years back and had to stay in a shelter, even though I was the only one there I didn't like it. We did the Knobstone a couple years back and it was a lot of up and down, people said it was good training for the AT but without all the magnificence. I enjoyed it though.
    As far as crowds, I avoided the big name parks in Utah and really enjoyed Grand Staircase Escalante.
    To make even more of a side note, I've never carried while hiking, I hoist that pack, feel how heavy it is and leave the gun out.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    concealed-weapons-on-the-appalachian-trail
    Well here's a start, but not a great one.
    The AT is about 40% NPS land.........and it's east. Never go east.

I hauled 50 loads of cheese into New York City from Wisconsin, in 1982. Got to know the receiver quite well, and one week he told me he would not be there the next week as he would be “OUT WEST” skiing. I asked where, Colorado? Utah?

”No, the Poconos”........west..........hard to argue......

Anyway, that was enough of that foolishness, and I have not been back since.

My nephew in Maine did the AT over two years, on two different times. The first time he got bad hayfever or something really made him sick. He went back to that spot at a different time of year and continued, I know it was pretty cold the second time. I think weight is a premium and most people don’t think they can justify a firearm when you are measuring things in ounces.

Top Bottom