Any "study of gun violence" should include how guns save lives.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Sure, but it would still be a minute fraction compared to guns used in violent crimes.

Not sure how you are defining minute fraction. The "gun violence" study that Obama had the CDC do concludes differently:
    Defensive use of guns by crime victims is a common occurrence, although the exact number remains disputed (Cook and Ludwig, 1996; Kleck, 2001a). Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million (Kleck, 2001a),

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not sure how you are defining minute fraction. The "gun violence" study that Obama had the CDC do concludes differently:

And those with the usual agenda would try to artificially limit counting "good" uses to actual discharges only. (e.g. bad guy shot in the face during a mugging gets counted but not a bad guy who runs off when she brandished the gun instead of handing over her purse)

But given those studies already we should include those. That's a no brainer. Using the anti's logic, we should ban the flu shot because it kills (and even maims) a couple hundred people a year. They only want to focus on the bad, while not accepting good also happens.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulhs...WVUo2EmlNw7iOqycJBNkeOZS5OMSL4p0#19d75645edc5

Any "study of gun violence" should include how guns save lives.

I put this here, because people try to use "studies of gun violence " to regulate the 2nd Amendment.

Great article, the research coming out of the medical/public health community is certainly biased. University of Michigan just got a huge grant I believe from NIH. I met with one of the co-investigators when I was doing some work up there and of course they claim to be unbiased but they have the usual cabal of gun control researchers involved. They claimed to have some 'gun people' on their advisory board but all I saw was a couple retired senior military officers.

https://labblog.uofmhealth.org/roun...rm-harm-answer-these-research-questions-first

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/ja...ign=ftm_links&utm_content=tfl&utm_term=061019

Like many gun control researchers they play fast and loose with what is a child and adolescent by including those who are 18 and legally an adult. What this does is capture a lot of deaths that are criminal/gang banger related so they can boost their death numbers for the first paragraph of the introduction.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yeah, they are guessing.
    In 16 years of working the most violent district of Indy, of the hundreds of homicides and aggravated assaults I've worked that involved guns, I can count on 2 hands the number of reported defensive gun usage.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yeah, they are guessing.
    In 16 years of working the most violent district of Indy, of the hundreds of homicides and aggravated assaults I've worked that involved guns, I can count on 2 hands the number of reported defensive gun usage.

"Reported".
    We all know how that goes.

way2good4u95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 5, 2018
    Plainfield
    Ok, well that is really the only way to KNOW the correct numbers. Otherwise they are just guessing.
    Surveys would have to be used. We've used surveys to estimate the dark figure of crime (number of crimes such as rape and burglary not reported to the police) and we could use surveys to estimate the number of defensive uses of a firearm. Of course, most defensive uses of a firearm don't involve shots being fired so it never gets reported to the police. There's way more defensive uses of a firearm than a police officer would know.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    The first thing that need be said to these anti 2A idiots is that there is no such thing as gun violence. Guns do not get up and fire themselves. It is people violence! People who shoot people, not guns that shoot people. Furthermore the truth and reality of gang vs. gang and drug dealers vs. drug dealers must always be at the front of any discussion of people violence. The anti 2A liberals and the media refuse to acknowledge these facts and reality as well as certain groups killing each other. I’m just tired of hearing the the anti 2A idiots and media, Period!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Surveys would have to be used. We've used surveys to estimate the dark figure of crime (number of crimes such as rape and burglary not reported to the police) and we could use surveys to estimate the number of defensive uses of a firearm. Of course, most defensive uses of a firearm don't involve shots being fired so it never gets reported to the police. There's way more defensive uses of a firearm than a police officer would know.

The numbers thrown out about defensive gun uses were derived and extrapolated from different national surveys.

Top Bottom