Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Any "study of gun violence" should include how guns save lives.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulhsi...0#19d75645edc5

I put this here, because people try to use "studies of gun violence " to regulate the 2nd Amendment.
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

Actaeon - act'-tee-on
    The death of Actaeon - http://www.paleothea.com/Myths/Actaeon.html

User Info Menu

The term "gun violence" certainly seems recent to me, 90s maybe for a beginning?
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Sure, but it would still be a minute fraction compared to guns used in violent crimes.
    On the other side of fear lies freedom.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Denny347 View Post
    Sure, but it would still be a minute fraction compared to guns used in violent crimes.
    Not sure how you are defining minute fraction. The "gun violence" study that Obama had the CDC do concludes differently:
    Defensive use of guns by crime victims is a common occurrence, although the exact number remains disputed (Cook and Ludwig, 1996; Kleck, 2001a). Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million (Kleck, 2001a),
    Love trumping hate involves a lot more assault and arson than I thought it would.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phase2 View Post
    Not sure how you are defining minute fraction. The "gun violence" study that Obama had the CDC do concludes differently:

And those with the usual agenda would try to artificially limit counting "good" uses to actual discharges only. (e.g. bad guy shot in the face during a mugging gets counted but not a bad guy who runs off when she brandished the gun instead of handing over her purse)

But given those studies already we should include those. That's a no brainer. Using the anti's logic, we should ban the flu shot because it kills (and even maims) a couple hundred people a year. They only want to focus on the bad, while not accepting good also happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by actaeon277 View Post
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulhsi...0#19d75645edc5

I put this here, because people try to use "studies of gun violence " to regulate the 2nd Amendment.
    Great article, the research coming out of the medical/public health community is certainly biased. University of Michigan just got a huge grant I believe from NIH. I met with one of the co-investigators when I was doing some work up there and of course they claim to be unbiased but they have the usual cabal of gun control researchers involved. They claimed to have some 'gun people' on their advisory board but all I saw was a couple retired senior military officers.

https://labblog.uofmhealth.org/round...uestions-first

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...tm_term=061019

Like many gun control researchers they play fast and loose with what is a child and adolescent by including those who are 18 and legally an adult. What this does is capture a lot of deaths that are criminal/gang banger related so they can boost their death numbers for the first paragraph of the introduction.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phase2 View Post
    Yeah, they are guessing.
    In 16 years of working the most violent district of Indy, of the hundreds of homicides and aggravated assaults I've worked that involved guns, I can count on 2 hands the number of reported defensive gun usage.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Yeah, they are guessing.
    In 16 years of working the most violent district of Indy, of the hundreds of homicides and aggravated assaults I've worked that involved guns, I can count on 2 hands the number of reported defensive gun usage.
    "Reported".
    We all know how that goes.
    Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mgderf View Post
    "Reported".
    We all know how that goes.
    Ok, well that is really the only way to KNOW the correct numbers. Otherwise they are just guessing.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Ok, well that is really the only way to KNOW the correct numbers. Otherwise they are just guessing.
    Surveys would have to be used. We've used surveys to estimate the dark figure of crime (number of crimes such as rape and burglary not reported to the police) and we could use surveys to estimate the number of defensive uses of a firearm. Of course, most defensive uses of a firearm don't involve shots being fired so it never gets reported to the police. There's way more defensive uses of a firearm than a police officer would know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast