Can a Tennessee Resident Legally Purchase a Long Gun in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My brother resides in Tennessee. During a recent visit to Fort Wayne he mentioned he needed to purchase a pellet gun to shoot the rabbits who were playing havoc on his vegetable garden back home. I suggested that he would do better with a Savage 62/64F as they were currently selling for $99 at Rural King here in the Fort. I ascertained that the RK store on West Jefferson in the Fort had a Savage 64F on the shelf for $99. My brother did not know how to find the store. I was not able to accompany him a the time, so my wife went with him to guide him on his way.

At the store, the Savage was identified, examined, and approved. My brother filled out the NICS form to complete the purchase, but then the problem appeared. The customer service agent declined to proceed further because my brother's residence was in Tennessee. There was some discussion about this, as he has previous experience of purchasing a rifle in Sturgis, MI while living in Indiana. The customer service agent insisted he could sell to an out-of-state person only if s/he resided in a state contagious to Indiana—like Michigan. So, no sale.

My brother and I then checked with Rural King online. The Savage 64F was available for $99 with free shipping to Tennessee. An FFL recommend on the RK site agreed to accept the transfer. The order was placed, problem solved ", . . . beer for my horses". :cheers:

The next day before leaving town to return to Tennessee my brother informed me that Rural King sent him an email explaining the the Savage 64F was "out of stock" and canceled the order.

I am puzzled about this, and would appreciate the input of the legal experts on :ingo: regarding:

1. Is it illegal to sell a long gun to a Tennessee resident visiting in Indiana?

2. Can long guns be sold out of state only to citizens from contiguous states, or was the RK CS agent wrong in this regard?

3. Would it have been legal for my wife to purchase the Savage 64F and have it sent to the FFL in Tennessee to be picked up by my brother? He would have been required to complete the background check there and have been listed as the the original owner. Would that still have been an illegal straw purchase?

FYI, my brother is ex USAF and US Army; he is also a former LEO with the Fort Wayne Police Department. He has no record that would prevent him from passing the background check.

Looking forward to your input.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    1. Is it illegal to sell a long gun to a Tennessee resident visiting in Indiana?

No. As long as he is able to buy the long gun in TN, he can buy it in IN.

2. Can long guns be sold out of state only to citizens from contiguous states, or was the RK CS agent wrong in this regard?

No. He was absolutely wrong. No need for the states to be contiguous, as long as the sale would be legal in both states. For example, a Kalifornian could not buy an AR-15 in another state, because freedom is illegal in his home state.

3. Would it have been legal for my wife to purchase the Savage 64F and have it sent to the FFL in Tennessee to be picked up by my brother? He would have been required to complete the background check there and have been listed as the the original owner. Would that still have been an illegal straw purchase?

Buying directly from the seller and having it shipped to him? No. Buy it for yourself and do the 4473, then ship it to him where he does a 4473.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    No. As long as he is able to buy the long gun in TN, he can buy it in IN.

No. He was absolutely wrong. No need for the states to be contiguous, as long as the sale would be legal in both states. For example, a Kalifornian could not buy an AR-15 in another state, because freedom is illegal in his home state.

Buying directly from the seller and having it shipped to him? No. Buy it for yourself and do the 4473, then ship it to him where he does a 4473.

Thanks!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Maybe that RK has outdated information or they are just idiots, hard to say. I had the same issue during one of my mobilizations to Ft. Benning in GA, the store there had a little map on the wall of what states they could sell too but IN changed their law around 2010 or so and I brought in the updated/stricken statute to show them.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Are state lines involved? Then an FFL is required.

Yes, a face-to-face transaction is illegal. If the either seller or the buyer hold a valid FFL, then it's legal. For a handgun, both the seller and buyer must hold a valid FFL.

The contiguous state thing is in the past. Now, if it's a long gun, then you only need one FFL in the visiting state when you buy in person. The benefit here is that a dealer in the buyer's state is not required for the transaction to be illegal.

That's a straw purchase. Is she the actual buyer? No. She'd be lying on the F4473. You might keop her out of the slammer by running it through a dealer in TN, but not a risk to take following Abramski v. US. Plus, that sounds overly complicated.

...he is also a former LEO with the Fort Wayne Police Department....
    And he couldn't find the RK in the old Kroger? :n00b:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Not sure why you would be scared the post was pretty straightforward, guy from TN went to an RK (a licensee) in IN and tried to buy a gun but said licensee refused the sale.

True, but CPT N made no such distinction.

I just want INGOers to think that their cousin from TN can buy a gun from them without an FFL being involved.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    RK= big box company, hires know-nothing employees for min. wage, trains said employees on RKs interpretation of law and advice from corporate attorneys who are only looking to protect themselves and the corp. Thus, weird corp. policies that do not serve the customers.

Many FFLs will not sell to out of state buyers due to the requirement of "must be legal in both locations". No one wants to keep up with all the state and local rules.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have gifted firearms to my mother, my brother(s), a nephew, and a niece.
    There is no law preventing you from gifting him the gun he wants.
    I've even gifted Keystone Crickets to several Ingo members.

Go online and find someplace like Grab-a-gun, or Gun-Pros.com and find the deal you like.
    Make the purchase and have it shipped to his FFL in Tennessee.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have gifted firearms to my mother, my brother(s), a nephew, and a niece.
    There is no law preventing you from gifting him the gun he wants.
    I've even gifted Keystone Crickets to several Ingo members.

Go online and find someplace like Grab-a-gun, or Gun-Pros.com and find the deal you like.
    Make the purchase and have it shipped to his FFL in Tennessee.

Mgderf, the Johnny Cricketseed of INGO.

Top Bottom