Permit required at IN range for IL resident?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnoleary

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2019
    Napierville
    Hi all,

I'm an IL resident, but I'd like to get in some range time in Indiana. Does anyone know if it is possible to get time on a range (and potentially rent a rifle) without a FOID? Thanks!

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Hi all,

I'm an IL resident, but I'd like to get in some range time in Indiana. Does anyone know if it is possible to get time on a range (and potentially rent a rifle) without a FOID? Thanks!

It's best to check with the range; however, in Illinois a non-resident can go to the range without a problem (at least the ones I went to) as long as they were with a resident of Illinois, that had a FOID. I do not know, but it may be the same (although we do not have FOID in Indiana)?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Up here in Da' Region it will vary.

Some ranges will require IL residents to present FOID cards. Some have (lots of) problems with prohibited persons coming across the border to get some "practice"

For firearm rental, I would expect more locations to have that requirement. Or not allowing out-of-state rentals at all.
    Their shops, their rules.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It's best to check with the range; however, in Illinois a non-resident can go to the range without a problem (at least the ones I went to) as long as they were with a resident of Illinois, that had a FOID. I do not know, but it may be the same (although we do not have FOID in Indiana)?

That there is messed up. Boo Illinois.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County

Some ranges will require IL residents to present FOID cards. Some have (lots of) problems with prohibited persons coming across the border to get some "practice"

For firearm rental, I would expect more locations to have that requirement. Or not allowing out-of-state rentals at all.
    How many "prohibited persons" do you think actually "come across to get practice"?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    How many "prohibited persons" do you think actually "come across to get practice"?

Well I'm not running background checks on 'em, but the number of IN plates at a range ~= number of IL plates on any given weekend.
    Though the skillset of the shooters are about equal no matter where their vehicle is registered. They need somewhere to go where the targets don't shoot back...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Why do they hate freedom? :dunno:

Why would any range in Indiana care about some other state's law?

Heck, you don't even have to be a US citizen to go to range and sling lead!

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Hi all,

First...You have my condolences that you have to live in "The Peoples Republic of Illinois"

Secondly...I do not know about rifle rentals? But I can tell you that Illinois people come to the Winamac FWA range all the time. I have never witnessed the range master request a FOID card from them. Like was mentioned earlier Indiana does not speak FOID.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute

If the answer is anything other than "none", the facility owner is at risk, given this age of litigation. I once got a call from Missouri State Police, asking if our conservation club sold ammo to a particular Terre Haute area resident. And I often get phone calls from people who are "in town for a day & want to shoot a gun". Call me a cautious, I'm ok with that.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    If the answer is anything other than "none", the facility owner is at risk, given this age of litigation. I once got a call from Missouri State Police, asking if our conservation club sold ammo to a particular Terre Haute area resident. And I often get phone calls from people who are "in town for a day & want to shoot a gun". Call me a cautious, I'm ok with that.
    Not trying to be dense, but why would you care what the Missouri State Police think about you selling ammo to Indiana resident? For that matter, why would you care why any LEO wanted to know if you sold ammo to anyone? What is prohibiting a communist State resident (California, New Jersey, New York, etc) from purchasing ammo from any Walmart or rural King in Indiana? There's nothing illegal about that.

Top Bottom