• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    No mention of the significant changes made to this law this past legislative session. Hopefully they are using the post-HB 1651 version (strengthened due-process requirements, added time limits and liability to departments who damage firearms in storage, allows for 3rd-party to store firearms.)

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – After two mass shootings left 31 people dead in Texas and Ohio over the weekend, President Donald Trump called for red flag laws.

Neither state has this legislation, but Indiana is one of 17 states with its own version.

Indiana's Red Flag Law is known as the Jake Laird Law.

Since the law passed in 2005, it has been used more than 700 times in Indianapolis.

“It always takes a tragedy for people to start talking again about things,” said Mike Laird, Jake's father.
    Jake was shot and killed in the line of duty in 2004.

“He wanted to protect people, and he gave his life up for doing that,” said Mike.

His son is still saving lives with the Jake Laird Law. It allows officers in Indiana to temporarily take guns away from someone if they find probable cause that the person may hurt themselves or others.
    “But then it has also got a built-in due process component,” said Rick Snyder, the president of the Indianapolis Fraternal Order of Police.
    The courts decide whether the owner gets their guns back.

Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb said this law works.
    “Will it work 100% of the time? I’m not going to mislead you, but it does work,” said Gov. Holcomb.
    Many people, including President Trump, are calling for the expansion of these kinds of laws. Indiana Congresswoman Susan Brooks wrote legislation earlier this year that provides grant money to states who choose to enact them. It’s called the Jake Laird Act.

“Makes me feel good if they actually do something with it,” said Mike.

Jake's father hopes it passes soon, but he knows it’s not the final solution.
    “It’s just a step to try to get things under control,” he said.
    Snyder agrees.

“The Jake Laird Law is a tool for law enforcement on a proactive preventative front, but until we as a society start addressing these issues of the head and the heart, we won’t see a lot of change in this,” said Snyder.

Attorney General Curtis Hill announced his support for President Trump’s embrace of Red Flag Laws on Tuesday.

He said he has touted the value of these laws in Washington D.C. multiple times within the last year.

https://fox59.com/2019/08/06/indianas-jake-laird-law-could-become-national-legislation/

vincess

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 14, 2017
    Indy
    700 times? And that's JUST in Indy? I've read a few stories here in regards to members dealing with getting their firearms back from LEO. Without getting in to too much detail, have there been any members that were one of those 700? That seems like a lot, but I guess depending on the situation maybe it just falls under JLL?:dunno:

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm not up to speed on parts of this law. Comments welcome...

We had a fellow INGOer in Terre Haute get caught up in a Laird seizure based on allegations by a Social Worker (I forget his screen name).

How much financial damage can the State do to a person that needs to hire a lawyer to get his legally owned property back? What recourse is there for a wrongly accused, seized then subequently returned property have for being reimbursed for that cost? Who pays that 3rd party for storage? How the hell can the State legally take and store NFA items?

Top Bottom