• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    10-minute video on the ATF's National (Firearm) Tracing Center:

(Not surprisingly, it is accompanied by editorial content bellyaching how the system does not currently facilitate a registration database).

https://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/595612/firearm-tracing-division/

(Not sure whether the Special Agent running this reminds me more of the creepy Trivago guy or a character from a Quentin Tarantino movie)

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    I may not be too sharp so explain to me the process. So if an LEA calls with a legitimate request for a Hi-Point, this center can scan the documents for the word "Hi-Point" and it will give them the name of every individual that has purchased a Hi-Point (as the original FFL purchaser)?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I may not be too sharp so explain to me the process. So if an LEA calls with a legitimate request for a Hi-Point, this center can scan the documents for the word "Hi-Point" and it will give them the name of every individual that has purchased a Hi-Point (as the original FFL purchaser)?
    Currently, I need a serial number from the High Point and call High Point to find out which dealer they sent it to. Then ask that dealer who they sold it to...etc etc etc. If the dealer is out of business, then a hand search of their paper files will have to happen.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

No. They can only search by hand. The database is not searchable.

LEA submits request for trace.
    ATF finds out what wholesaler got the gun.
    ATF then finds out what retailer got the gun.
    If the retailer is still in business, they contact the store, and have them find the 4473.
    If the retailer is out of business, ATF has to hand search the 4473s until they find it.

Electronic database searching is illegal.

Top Bottom