Goshen
    [h=1]Re: red flag law[/h]

Office of U.S. Senator Mike Braun<contact@braun.senate.gov>
    10:50 AM
    To bryonfritzttt@comcast.net

BRAUN_letterhead_116U.png

August 14, 2019​
    Dear Mr. Fritz,

Thank you for contacting my office regardingSecond Amendment protections to keep and bear arms. I appreciate hearing from you.
    I am an avid hunter, a National Rifle Association member, and stand 100 percent in support of the Second Amendment. In the Senate, I will oppose any efforts to restrict the rights of law-abiding gun owners and will protect their ability to defend themselves and their families in life-threatening situations. Because of this, I have co-sponsored S. 69, the Constitutional Carry Reciprocity Act, S. 1506, a bill to permit those complying with state firearm laws to carry, and S. 351, the Gun Owners Registration Information Protection Act.
    I am deeply troubled, though, by the recent shootings that took place in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio. Simply put, there is no place for the hate that motivated these attacks in our great country. Americans are collectively grieving the loss of our fellow citizens to senseless violence. My wife Maureen and I are praying for the victims and survivors of these horrific events.
    I know that the federal government’s most fundamental responsibility is to keep citizens safe. As a United States Senator, public safety is therefore a top priority. Steps must be taken to ensure that the mentally ill and those who wish to do others harm are not able to legally purchase and possess firearms to commit violent acts.
    Mass shootings and gun violence across the country create complex situations, and I believe that we need solutions to prevent those who only wish to do others harm from gaining access to dangerous weapons. First and foremost, I believe our existing laws need to be fully enforced. Second, I believe a meaningful legislative solution would include reforms to strengthen background checks, extreme risk protection orders and commonsense restrictions on modifications that allow legal firearms to function like fully automatic military style weapons. Lastly, we as Americans must take the time required to address and respond to the part of our culture that glorifies violence and instead empower communities to focus mental health services.
    Any legislation that I support or vote for will have to be constructed in a way that protects law-abiding Americans’ access to their Second Amendment rights. As I consider any currently proposed legislation, I will keep your thoughts in mind.
    Thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to serve as your U.S. Senator from Indiana. Please keep in touch with me on issues of concern to you. You can also follow me on Twitter or Facebook for real-time updates on my activities in the U.S. Senate. If I ever may be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Sincerely,
    SenBraunSignature.PNG

Mike Braun
    U.S. Senator
    P.S. This message was sent by email to save taxpayer dollars.

Only we the voters can get this guy on the right track. When ever anyone starts out with I'm a avid hunter you know your in trouble

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    While not bad, glad to see his support but he totally missed the point of the second amendment. We the people were supposed to keep and bear the exact same weapons as our military carry to prevent a central government from becoming more powerful than we the people.

Life Member

Marksman
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Goshen
    This is bad.
    Second, I believe a meaningful legislative solution would include reforms to strengthen background checks, extreme risk protection orders and commonsense restrictions on modifications that allow legal firearms to function like fully automatic military style weapons.
    He just told us what the senate has planned when they get back to work.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    His reply is being talked about in a couple other threads as well. I got the same.

He is a typical POS. F U Braun!

" I support the 2nd Amendment 100%" .....but..... " we need to strengthen background checks, enact red flag laws, and ban modifications that make weapons act like weapons of war"

Again i repeat, F U Braun!!!

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I got pretty much the same form letter in response to what I said to him.
    I sent him another letter saying I'd never vote for him again.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I disagree with this part:
    ...commonsense restrictions on modifications that allow legal firearms to function like fully automatic military style weapons...

Other than that, it's about as good as you can expect from any politician on the federal level, and I have no issue with the rest of it.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I disagree with this part:

Other than that, it's about as good as you can expect from any politician on the federal level, and I have no issue with the rest of it.

So you're good with someone saying they support the 2A 100% then a few paragraphs later saying they're for Red Flag Laws and Universal Background checks?

So you personally support Red Flag Laws and UBCs, since you "have no issue with the rest of it"?

Just trying to make sure I understand your statement correctly.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So you're good with someone saying they support the 2A 100% then a few paragraphs later saying they're for Red Flag Laws and Universal Background checks?

So you personally support Red Flag Laws and UBCs, since you "have no issue with the rest of it"?

Just trying to make sure I understand your statement correctly.

I am in favor of "red flag laws" properly drafted. As for "strengthening background checks" (he did not say "universal background checks"), it depends upon what he means by that. More accurate and comprehensive databases regarding the currently prohibited categories? I am fully in favor.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I am in favor of "red flag laws" properly drafted. As for "strengthening background checks" (he did not say "universal background checks"), it depends upon what he means by that. More accurate and comprehensive databases regarding the currently prohibited categories? I am fully in favor.

I got ya. I know he didnt say UBCs but im fairly certain he'd back them.
    Red Flag laws....well, could be good, could be bad. Im with you on the "properly drafted" You being a lawyer, what do you think of Indianas law now that some more protections were put in place? Do you feel that it offers good protection to gun owners?
    I personally would love to see something added that puts some sort of punishment for those that abuse the law, say for instance, an ex that just cant stand you and wants to see you suffer for no reason other than being spiteful, and reports you as being suicidal/homicidal/etc.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    To be clear, I am giving him a chance to explain what he means or to show us by what he is willing to vote for. Also, to clarify, I don't believe that any red flag law should be federal law.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    To be clear, I am giving him a chance to explain what he means or to show us by what he is willing to vote for. Also, to clarify, I don't believe that any red flag law should be federal law.
    I’d go one step further and say that I believe NO gun related law should be on the federal level. And in fact no weapon or personal defense law should exist on the federal level.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    His reply is being talked about in a couple other threads as well. I got the same.

He is a typical POS. F U Braun!

" I support the 2nd Amendment 100%" .....but..... " we need to strengthen background checks, enact red flag laws, and ban modifications that make weapons act like weapons of war"

Again i repeat, F U Braun!!!

+1
    100% rhino fudd!

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    There are a portion of gun owners that are willing to let others people's guns be taken away.....as long as they get to keep the guns they want. Mr. Braun appears to be one of those gun owners.

I say this because Mr. Braun said in his letter he owns firearms and yet he supports....."reforms to strengthen background checks, extreme risk protection orders and commonsense restrictions on modifications that allow legal firearms to function like fully automatic military style weapons."

AKA.....possible UBC supporter, Red Flag supporter and Bump Stock ban supporter.

If someone is not willing to defend someone else's rights, then they don't deserve the rights they themselves have. Most soldiers who give their lives for this country do so with the knowledge that they were defending the rights of others.... rights they themselves may never use. Selling out the rights of others because you don't personally use that right is a self centered and narcissistic thing to do.

Mr. Braun may be a gun owner, but he is certainly NOT a 2nd amendment supporter.

Looks like Mr. Braun needs replaced by a pro 2nd amendment senator.

Jericho941Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2019
    Boone County

Looks like Mr. Braun needs replaced by a pro 2nd amendment senator.

Unfortunately still has another 4 years on his term. I have been calling both of our senators and my rep every few days to leave a message with the office. Hopefully a bombardment of calls from constituents who will not stand for any more 2A restrictions and threats to stay home on election day can help get these clowns to get the picture.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Im not in favor of red flag laws or any background checks.
    We have laws that prohibit some people from having guns or buying them. Enforce the damn laws with a vengeance. If you commit a crimw with a gun you should be locked up for decades or shot.
    I do not believe i pre-cop'ing. The govt needs to wait until someone breaks the law to prosecute.
    Also stop being the thought police.
    So no, im not for any restrictions.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Im not in favor of red flag laws or any background checks.
    We have laws that prohibit some people from having guns or buying them. Enforce the damn laws with a vengeance. If you commit a crimw with a gun you should be locked up for decades or shot.
    I do not believe i pre-cop'ing. The govt needs to wait until someone breaks the law to prosecute.
    Also stop being the thought police.
    So no, im not for any restrictions.
    This. Couldn't agree more.

So many people are quick to give away their rights and other people's rights just to feel "safer".

Top Bottom