• eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Prove me wrong.

I suppose I should state my points:

1 - it is about arms of any kind. Whatever you choose to take up, for whatever purpose.

2 - it restricts the government, not the people.

I kinda feel like I am lobbing a Molotov cocktail. :cool:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    MW2qf.jpg

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Government officials don't want to admit that the idea of the constitution is to protect free people from an oppressive government. The constitution sets limits on the government so that they don't become the dictatorship like we now seem to be drifting to. In order to maintain freedom, people retain the right to train and practice as needed, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    I agree. Too often the debate is about pieces of steel and not liberty. It's about a right to defend ones self, family, and home from the threats we face. This has nothing to do with guns themselves. My favorite 2A lobbyist doesn't even shoot, but man he believes in freedom.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I surprised one of our State Reps once when I asked if Indiana's patchwork knife laws were constitutional. Both the State and Feds are restricted from disallowing keep and bear, but yet, here we are.

What if throwing stars are the best option for me???

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I surprised one of our State Reps once when I asked if Indiana's patchwork knife laws were constitutional. Both the State and Feds are restricted from disallowing keep and bear, but yet, here we are.

What if throwing stars are the best option for me???

We may or may not have made our own throwing stars out of one of those garden hand-cultivator type thingies when we were kids. Just had to file down the edges, but they were pretty wicked. Allegedly. :whistle:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We may or may not have made our own throwing stars out of one of those garden hand-cultivator type thingies when we were kids. Just had to file down the edges, but they were pretty wicked. Allegedly. :whistle:
    "As kids" was likely before the Great Ninja Scare of the mid-to-late Eighties. All the hand-wringing of "we gotta do SOMETHING for the CHILDREN" so we outlawed something that has not been used in a crime in this country, like, ever.

We had a throwing star stuck in the ceiling of our Middle School for most of a year. 30 feet up above the lockers.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "As kids" was likely before the Great Ninja Scare of the mid-to-late Eighties. All the hand-wringing of "we gotta do SOMETHING for the CHILDREN" so we outlawed something that has not been used in a crime in this country, like, ever.

We had a throwing star stuck in the ceiling of our Middle School for most of a year. 30 feet up above the lockers.

Oh yeah, definitely before then. More like early to mid 70's (about the time the tv show "Kung Fu" was on).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh yeah, definitely before then. More like early to mid 70's (about the time the tv show "Kung Fu" was on).

I never understood that ban. Granted I was a kid, but did we have some strange ninja attacks that caused us to ban them? Or maybe did this coincide with banning lawn darts?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I never understood that ban. Granted I was a kid, but did we have some strange ninja attacks that caused us to ban them? Or maybe did this coincide with banning lawn darts?

I think it was around the same time. I don't know why, but I suspect it was, as eldirector said, "For the children!" Probably also about the time bicycle helmets, knee and elbow pads, hand sanitizer, etc. started becoming popular. You know, all the stuff that kids of previous generations miraculously lived without.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    To my way of thinking, at its foundation, Second Amendment is about recognizing and securing (not granting) the right of self-defense (what Thomas Jefferson called the right to self-preservation), and consequently, the right to keep and bear the tools commonly used to effect that defense/preservation, i.e. "arms" of various sorts.

We see this idea expressed in a number of state constitutions:

Of the original original 13 states:

Delaware - "A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use."

Pennsylvania - "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

Connecticut - "Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state."

New Hampshire - "All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state."

Also, our own state, Indiana: - "The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."

Other state constitutions that explicitly mention the idea of self-defense include: Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, South Dakota,
    Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, and Wyoming.

So, 24 states explicitly mention the self defense aspect. (Assuming I didn't miss any and not counting others, mentioning "common" defense and such.)

Judge Napolitano also expressed this idea in a recent article [1] - "[FONT=&amp]Second among the personal liberties preserved in the Bill of Rights from impairment by the government was the right to self-defense. Thomas Jefferson called that the right to self-preservation."

As a right of self-defense, it's certainly NOT intended to be limited only to firearms.

[1] -[/FONT]https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/judge-andrew-napolitano-the-dangerous-urge-to-do-something

Top Bottom