• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    So first want to say the police that pulled me over where nice and seemed to be doing a appropriate job. As for the pull over.

There was a suspected shooting right at the time and place I was driving by with sorta similar vehicle and I was going pretty fast away from the area so makes sense to pull me over. They took me out of the car and disarmed me which I assume is normal givin the situation. The two things I’m wondering about are that they searched my car without my permission and I assume no warrant. But they where under the assumption that I had just shot at somebody. So is that legal? And the second is that they took pictures of my guns. Is that legal? Just want clarification on the legality’s. I feel the cops treated me fairly and feel like these are logical things to do just wondering what the law says
    I hope they catch the idiot that did the shooting.

Scouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2014
    Orlando
    The search? Not so OK to me. But if you found it OK, then thats the end of it.
    I drive a marked Security Jeep, my Sons company. Last time I got pulled over, it was two Motor Bike Cops. Said they were going to tell my son I was going 5 above the linit!
    We are not oligated to say we are armed, in a stop. So I dont, but twice in 15 years is not so bad?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am with VUPD on the search angle. What did they hope to find.. If you were cleared of being a suspect then just stop. This fishing **** we see all the time gets to be a bit of a push.

But if you are OK with it then so be it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This is legal advice: you should call a lawyer.

This is not legal advice to you or anyone else: generally, a limited search of the areas of the car that the person matching the description had access to is allowed because of a few factors: they were investigating a shooting, so they need to know if the person they stopped stashed a gun basically within arm's reach, and they had already figured out that the person was armed. Generally, taking pictures of the guns would allow them to confirm that the guns they took from the person that matched the description weren't the same ones used. Technically, they may have actually been able to keep the guns to do some forensic stuff (get the lands/grooves pattern and such) in case they found forensic stuff from the actual shooting.

In Indiana, the officers' conduct will be measured against what is "reasonable." That is not a bright line, but a balancing of the entire situation. It sounds like what you describe fits within reasonable, so the officers are probably good. And well-trained.

If it was a full blown search of the car, like the trunk and everything, in the absence of a warrant, that's risky. If they had found the proverbial dead body, they may've screwed the entire case.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Did they smell the barrel? That would at least prove it hadn't been shot recently. (unless it was range day)
    Strange that they're going to the trouble of taking pictures of the guns. And for what? And this proves??

If they are convinced enough that he didn't do anything to let him go, then why the pictures.

What, they pull over and search and take pictures of 10-15 people in the area then they find out what caliber was originally fired (if they find the bullet) then go back out and grab whichever earlier contact had with that caliber gun? I mean, come on... Really? From a collection of people they already let go?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The search? Not so OK to me. But if you found it OK, then thats the end of it.
    I drive a marked Security Jeep, my Sons company. Last time I got pulled over, it was two Motor Bike Cops. Said they were going to tell my son I was going 5 above the linit!
    We are not oligated to say we are armed, in a stop. So I dont, but twice in 15 years is not so bad?

Your son is going to hide your keys from you. ;)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Did they smell the barrel? That would at least prove it hadn't been shot recently. (unless it was range day)
    Strange that they're going to the trouble of taking pictures of the guns. And for what? And this proves??

If they are convinced enough that he didn't do anything to let him go, then why the pictures.

What, they pull over and search and take pictures of 10-15 people in the area then they find out what caliber was originally fired (if they find the bullet) then go back out and grab whichever earlier contact had with that caliber gun? I mean, come on... Really? From a collection of people they already let go?

The pics will remind them what caliber and what model the gun was. If they recover bullets that they can examine, they can compare the caliber and number of lands/grooves to see if it is a possible match. If it is, they could probably get a warrant to obtain the gun and test it.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Good thing the guy didn't pee on the side of the gas station too. They'd have to put more film in the camera if they pulled me over.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    So first want to say the police that pulled me over where nice and seemed to be doing a appropriate job. As for the pull over.

There was a suspected shooting right at the time and place I was driving by with sorta similar vehicle and I was going pretty fast away from the area so makes sense to pull me over. They took me out of the car and disarmed me which I assume is normal givin the situation. The two things I’m wondering about are that they searched my car without my permission and I assume no warrant. But they where under the assumption that I had just shot at somebody. So is that legal? And the second is that they took pictures of my guns. Is that legal? Just want clarification on the legality’s. I feel the cops treated me fairly and feel like these are logical things to do just wondering what the law says
    I hope they catch the idiot that did the shooting.

If you feel it was reaching, you can check to see if there was a report of shots fired. If there was, and you gave concent, just mark it up to helping them rule you out. Is pictures under the umbrella of concent? I don't know.

EDIT: I guess your gun was in plain view. So they're gathering evidence (taking pictures) because you're a person of interest?

Do you hear that. I'm a person of interest. I'm somebody now. First my name in the phone book, and tattooed on her ars, and now this.

Last edited:

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    They did take my wallet and all my things in my pocket but returned everything when I left. My car is like a SUV thing so no trunk. I had a book bag sitting in the passengers seat but not sure if they searched it. And there was def a shooting there cause I was hearing all the police chatter that’s why I knew my vehicle was similar. Also as I said everything seemed logical and made sense given the situation. I just like to know what is legal givin I’m just a civilian and don’t have many interaction with police at my age anymore. Also I live in this area so first thing I told them when they said why they pulled me over was that to make sure someone was still looking for the shooter cause it wasn’t me.

Top Bottom