• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I thought this should have it's own thread.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Vice President Mike Pence believes Indiana’s red flag law could be used as a potential blueprint for similar laws across the country.

The VP held a roundtable discussion over red flag laws Wednesday with various Indiana law enforcement officials. The discussion was part of a conversation Pence says the Trump administration is engaging in to help prevent tragedies like the mass shootings in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio.

“I’m here to listen and to carry back Indiana’s experience into our discussions at the White House,” Pence said.
    The Vice President touted Indiana’s red flag laws as a tool that’s helped to prevent incidents of gun violence, specifically when it comes to those with mental health issues and instances of suicide.
    “While we will always defend the rights of Americans to keep and bear arms, we don’t want people who are a danger to themselves or others to have access to firearms,” Pence said.
    Indiana’s red flag law was inspired by and named after Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officer Timothy “Jake” Laird, who was killed in the line of duty in 2004. Mike and Debbie Laird, Jake’s parents, took part in Wednesday’s roundtable.

“What this law did, it was a tool for the police department to help, not only them, but to help civilians and people who may be a danger to themselves,” Mike Laird said.
    In Indianapolis alone, red flag laws have been used more than 700 times, allowing officers to temporarily take guns away from someone if they find probable cause that the person may hurt themselves or others.
    Pence said President Donald Trump is looking closely at red flag laws as a method of dealing with gun violence and mass shootings, but stopped short of saying the administration would pursue a nationwide policy.
    “As we look at these proposals in congress, they’re designed to encourage states to adopt these laws, because the ability to process these warrants, to give individuals the due process that’s essential to protect the constitutional rights of every American, best happen in state and local jurisdictions,” said the Vice President.
    So far, 17 states have adopted red flag laws.

Pence said the Trump administration is also looking at speeding up death penalty procedures for those involved in mass shootings, or the killing of law enforcement officers. The vice president added that if someone engages in either one of those acts, the American people shouldn’t have to wait “15 to 20 years until justice is served.

https://fox59.com/2019/08/28/pence-...rve-as-blueprint-for-the-rest-of-the-country/

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The way the winds have been blowing regarding the Second Amendment lately, a national red flag law similar to the one here in Indiana might be chalked up as a win for our side... it this is all Congress passes and President Trump signs. But we all know it doesn’t take an act of Congress anymore and those who want to disarm us never rest.

I’ve sold off quite a bit of stuff the last few months because I needed the cash and now I’m buying again. Maybe one of these days I’ll learn to buy and keep only.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    If this is already a law, and has been successful, then I believe that they should take a good long look at it before introducing any other laws.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    One of our own was caught up in this. Not sure how he has fared so far.
    That was before the new version went into affect. It sounded like he could’ve used some of the additional protection under the new law. Particularly going after the ones who damaged his property.

Prediction, this will be part of what comes out of the Senate. This and fix NICS will get signed into law.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This is why I have advocated not only writing (as in put pen to paper for a personal appeal) to Trump, but focusing on senators and any representatives who are 2A supportrers or who won in districts carried by Trump. The representatives are included, even though I consider the house a lost cause, to make sure our supporters don't get squishy and they're supporters think twice. The senators are the important players because, although the next Trump-centric crisis will give them cover to do nothing (and new crises come along quite regularly) if they actually put something on Trump's desk he will have to make a binary choice and the outcome of that is less certain. My hope is for grid-lock in the senate on details of any such action, or poison pills in legislation, and nothing makes it to a floor vote. You would think something like executive orders for US companies to stop doing business with China would give them some shadows to operate in on this. If we actually do a deal with the Chinese and/or there is another bad shooting all bets are off

The only ones I remind of their shakey position are the Dems in Trump country and the known squishes. Likely even the most shameless re-election whore doesn't like to be reminded of what he is, so the ones ostensibly on our side I remind subtly of what is expected of them while complementing their
    commitment to the overall cause of freedom and consstitutional rights. A hand-written note has the potential to exert a bit more influence, should it actually make its way to the individual's hand, because of the visible time and effort that went into it. Like the preference for hand written thank you notes over electronic messaging - demonstrates added sincerity in the best case. It isn't horribly difficult, I think I've sent out 7 letters including the one to Trump and the one to Pence. I is my personal opinion that, while they may be counted by some functionary, form letter drives using an organizations template will not be taken as seriously as a 'dear senator' might be beyond aggregate counting. Certainly do both if willing and able

Edit: I've also sent a small donation to Mitch McConnell enclosed in a letter telling him I think he has done a good job in a difficult situation, from Merrick Garland to the present, and how we look forward to him continuing the fight for constitutionally minded justices - especially if Ginsberg goes Tango Uniform - so we can reach a time where we wion't have to worry as much about the courts upholding clearly unconstitutional laws

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    [edit]

Sorry....I had to remove my earlier post.

I should know better than to post about civil lawsuits in NWI

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Without reading our law, does it have a severe penalty for giving false information to the police, such as in an angry girlfriend who just wants to get back at the guy who decided to go elsewhere?

If a person accused has a massive collection, and is later found to not be a problem, do the police have a legally mandated way to maintain the collection so that the rightful owner doesn't get back a pile of damaged formally prized firearms?

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Without reading our law, does it have a severe penalty for giving false information to the police, such as in an angry girlfriend who just wants to get back at the guy who decided to go elsewhere?

If a person accused has a massive collection, and is later found to not be a problem, do the police have a legally mandated way to maintain the collection so that the rightful owner doesn't get back a pile of damaged formally prized firearms?

Jim Lucas introduced a bill last year that would make false reporting the same level crime as the crime falsely reported. It never got a hearing...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

TL/DR... but it seemed to be identical to the first link you posted which I did (kinda) read. What changed?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Jim Lucas introduced a bill last year that would make false reporting the same level crime as the crime falsely reported. It never got a hearing...

IMHO, this should be added to EVERY single law. Report falsely, suffer the same consequences as the accused would have if found guilty. No appeals. Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not collect $200.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Howard County deputies confiscated multiple firearms from a home after they say a 12-year-old made threats at school.

https://fox59.com/2019/08/29/red-fl...ms-after-12-year-old-makes-threats-at-school/

The red flag law concerns me a lot because of the apparent absence of due process. In this case though, it appears as though a warrant was issued in advance to address threats made?

...Deputies reached out to the father to inform him of his son’s statements, and the father agreed to secure the firearms at the home. However, on Sunday, deputies served a warrant and discovered multiple firearms scattered around the house and in the boy’s bedroom, which deputies say were loaded. Howard County Deputies were able to confiscate the guns due to the red flag law. The red flag law, or the Jake Laird law here in Indiana, is currently getting national attention as a way to stop mass shootings...

Not sure this isn't a legit case, stopping a real threat in advance?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom