Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Question on handgun sale.

If a person is in a different state visiting a friend. Said friend likes said person's handgun and wants to buy it. Friend isn't a criminal, firearm is legal in said state, no checks required, etc. Could that person sell their handgun to said friend while in friends state?

I do not think it's legal. I'm having a discussion with a friend about it. He thinks it is. Am I right or is he?
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

Has to go thru their ffl.
    “Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one.” -Chesty Puller

Plinker

User Info Menu

Not a lawyer but no, it would have to be shipped to an ffl in his state then a 4473 filled out to be done legally if he is not a resident of Indiana. No private sales of firearms across state lines. The interstate Commerce Act is used to uphold this. That's my understanding atleast.

User Info Menu

I had something similar happen to myself. Wanted to buy a friend's firearm but by law he had to return to his home state and then ship it to an FFL here, which we did since being legal is more fun than watching AT and unconstitutional F destroy my windows and doors. Silly, yes but you never know who is listening...

User Info Menu

Questions:

Does the same FFL transfer rule apply to a rifle sale across state lines?

So say the friend is an Ohio resident and the seller is an Indiana resident, can the seller drive to an Ohio FFL and hand the handgun to the FFL in Ohio who then completes the transfer with a 4473?
    When seconds matter the 2nd Amendment matters.

User Info Menu

Whatchu talking about...and why you talkin about it...
    Thor himself has spoken, mere mortals must make it so. - bradmedic04

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by indykid View Post
    I had something similar happen to myself. Wanted to buy a friend's firearm but by law he had to return to his home state and then ship it to an FFL here, which we did since being legal is more fun than watching AT and unconstitutional F destroy my windows and doors. Silly, yes but you never know who is listening...
    I'm gonna, riiiide 'till I can't no more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DadSmith View Post
    If a person is in a different state visiting a friend. Said friend likes said person's handgun and wants to buy it. Friend isn't a criminal, firearm is legal in said state, no checks required, etc. Could that person sell their handgun to said friend while in friends state?

I do not think it's legal. I'm having a discussion with a friend about it. He thinks it is. Am I right or is he?
    Assuming I read this correct (seller is out-of-state, buyer is in-state), you need to head over to a nearby LGS in that state to get a transfer done.

Quote Originally Posted by KittySlayer View Post
    Questions:

Does the same FFL transfer rule apply to a rifle sale across state lines?

So say the friend is an Ohio resident and the seller is an Indiana resident, can the seller drive to an Ohio FFL and hand the handgun to the FFL in Ohio who then completes the transfer with a 4473?
    Yes, It's the same as if you just mailed it. How it gets there is somewhat moot.

If it's a long gun, the dealer can be here (ie seller's home state), but for a handgun, it must be in the buyer's state.

Remember, if state lines are involved, then so must a FFL holder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by indykid View Post
    Who told you this? Do you have some laws to back this up?

Either I'm wrong, or you're wrong...

I fail to see the difference if the firearm is delivered to dealer by a man in a brown uniform acting on your behalf, or by you in cargo shorts and a T-shirt.
    Last edited by JettaKnight; 5 Days Ago at 12:38.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    Who told you this? Do you have some laws to back this up?

Either I'm wrong, or you're wrong...

I fail to see the difference if the firearm is delivered to dealer by a man in a brown uniform acting on your behalf, or by you in cargo shorts and a T-shirt.
    Yes. Find in the law where it lists who must deliver it. There is no difference between USPS/Fedex/UPS/[insert freight company here]/ or somebody who is not the buyer acting as a courier to get it to the buyer's FFL in they eyes of the ATF. My understanding is the only restrictions are by the carriers as to how they can ship. (USPS must be between FFLs, UPS must be next day service, etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast