NEWS: the 'Universal Background Check' language made public....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I guess I can open up an authorized transfer agent station after I retire...keep me off the streets and out of jail.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    That link is horrible and filled with ads.

Here's a link directly to the tweet.

https://twitter.com/elainaplott/status/1174335971283935232?s=20

Thanks for that FMJ.
    So it appears that private party sales will require a licensed transfer agent to process and document the transaction.
    Is this a new niche business that will jack up the price of the gun you wanted to buy ?
    I would assume the FFL's at gun shows would now have a dual role as well. Again, more costs.
    Then the tax man will join in on the private party sale and that great deal would no longer be so good.

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    "Universal background check": code for damn the law-abing and let the criminal intent be. The leftist determination is digging deep into your pocket. "Big Brother is watching!"

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    If progressives REALLY thought more background checks would reduce crime...they’d advocate no-cost, voluntary, public access to NICS for private transfers.

Having to pay a fee to a third party in order to sell or purchase a firearm in exercise of your SCOTUS-upheld individual constitutional RIGHT to bear arms is tantamount to a poll tax.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I also note that document specifies “commercial sales”; how does that differ from private sales/transfers?

Ah yes, much like when building an empire, building bureaucracy requires new/vague/undefined terms that will lead to more bureaucrats and government entities. More layers means more responsibility and more pay.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If progressives REALLY thought more background checks would reduce crime...they’d advocate no-cost, voluntary, public access to NICS for private transfers.

Having to pay a fee to a third party in order to sell or purchase a firearm in exercise of your SCOTUS-upheld individual constitutional RIGHT to bear arms is tantamount to a poll tax.

The problem is with any enforcement mechanism. The prospective seller could still ignore NICS and complete the sale. Providing some ability to punish violaters would require retaining information about every aspect of the proposed sale that was NICS-checked, which isn't really a great option either

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Do I understand things correctly. Trump still says he is trying to decide what his position is on this but at the same time, he has AG Barr up lobbying for this bill? That is some cagey 4 D chess right there.

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    Trump has shown he brings people on board to navigate a certain circumstance then he moves on to someone else for the same position.

This is what concerned me about Barr from the beginning. Barr was masterful in showing that Russian collusion was a hoax. If, indeed, he is a peddler of this Bovine Scatology, it's time to move onto another AG.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    What the hell is a "commercial sale"? That's FFLs. We already have that. Selling someone from INGO a gun is not a "commercial" sale.

This document makes it clear that the Trump team doesn't have any clue what the law is right now, let alone what it should be.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    He already has signaled his stance on the 2a with his bump stock ban.

I think many supports are going to be disappointed soon.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    What the hell is a "commercial sale"? That's FFLs. We already have that. Selling someone from INGO a gun is not a "commercial" sale.

This document makes it clear that the Trump team doesn't have any clue what the law is right now, let alone what it should be.

I've been reading over federal law to try to make sense of this myself. Of course, ATF rules also accompany respective laws on firearms. The language contained in this idea doesn't seem to fit in federal law at all.

One who is defined as involved in commercial sales of firearms (i.e. "engaged in the business") is:

[FONT=&amp][A] person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms...[/FONT]

However, he is not:

...a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms.

It sounds to me that this is basically an attempt to regulate a small amount of business that is conducted at gun shows, particularly by non-FFL holding individuals who rent booth space to sell from their personal collections. Those persons, if actually "engaged in the business," are already breaking exitisting federal law.

To me, it sounds like if I show up at the Indy 1500 looking to make a quick sale of a pistol I no longer want, I wouldn't be subject to anything outlined above. It's just new laws that make certain, lawful firearms transactions more onerous for the buyer and seller - and accomplishes nothing.

Gun Owners of America has set up an Action Alert, which can be viewed and signed here:https://gunowners.org/alert09192019...zlYLQSR_zUWSIiCGffp2vMsIse89D_tpFnAU3qsrNR6Hg

Top Bottom