Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Bloomberg’s gun-control group vastly outspent the NRA to help Dems win in VA

The rich and powerful are coming for the guns...

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/06/mike...-virginia.html

User Info Menu

Bah! Remove dc from the equation and Virginia isn't different from any other state. How different would Illinois be without chicago?

It has nothing to do with what the NRA spends.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Leadeye View Post
    Bah! Remove dc from the equation and Virginia isn't different from any other state. How different would Illinois be without Chicago?

It has nothing to do with what the NRA spends.
    Virginia has been red in presidential elections from 1968 to 2008. Both Bushes had VA. Not long ago the legislature there was mostly Republican and was able to pass gun-friendly laws. Now the Democrats have complete control over the VA legislature. That's a pretty big deal, especially since DC proper is its own region with its own 3 electoral votes. What's changed?

User Info Menu

People in the beltway and beyond that are in dc's orbit. Lots of money out there.

Bloomberg and big media can crow all they want, but it's demographics that is changing Virginia. Where and how people earn their money and wanting to live near it. Think about all the money involved in payroll and secondary support for one $1K per hour law/lobby firm, it's got to be like a small military base.

Marvin the Martian

Marksman

User Info Menu

People in the beltway and beyond that are in dc's orbit. Lots of money out there.

Bloomberg and big media can crow all they want, but it's demographics that is changing Virginia. Where and how people earn their money and wanting to live near it. Think about all the money involved in payroll and secondary support for one $1K per hour law/lobby firm, it's got to be like a small military base.
    Why are we seeing the impact now and not previous years?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wakproductions View Post
    Why are we seeing the impact now and not previous years?
    That demographic gets bigger every year, they have probably reached a "tipping point" where there's more of them now than people who used to vote for representation in the pro gun column. It's a sad situation, but dc functions just like any other big political machine.

Marvin the Martian

Expert

User Info Menu

Leadeye is correct. To see with your own eyes what occurred look at the first map on this page.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-analysis.html

There is very little of the red-orange in a bold color, the blue is bold in many places. It is clear to see the enthusiasm gap on the map. That tends to mean unenthusiastic candidates running against a headwind of demographic change. Few winners want to quit what they are winning at and run for an office they're are likely to lose.

User Info Menu

Wakproductions is correct about the rich and powerful coming for your guns, plutocrats have never liked the idea of ordinary folks owning weapons. I think this prejudice probably goes back to sticks and stones, but Virginia is being lost to dc.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Interesting. When I lived in Winchester it was primarily Republican. Not any more. I lived there for 13 years but moved away in 1998. It was a good place to live and probably still is though the tide has shifted.

I was heavily involved in the Hunter Education program working with the DNR and I helped teach NRA classes so people could get a CC permit. They had some restrictive gun laws but nothing that really handcuffed a person. Lot's of hunting opportunities.
    Outlier

Marksman

User Info Menu

That demographic gets bigger every year, they have probably reached a "tipping point" where there's more of them now than people who used to vote for representation in the pro gun column. It's a sad situation, but dc functions just like any other big political machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingomike View Post
    Leadeye is correct. To see with your own eyes what occurred look at the first map on this page.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-analysis.html

There is very little of the red-orange in a bold color, the blue is bold in many places. It is clear to see the enthusiasm gap on the map. That tends to mean unenthusiastic candidates running against a headwind of demographic change. Few winners want to quit what they are winning at and run for an office they're are likely to lose.

I find it absolutely incredible how every single county voting map is predictably bright blue at the city centers. I wonder what that says about how different urban lifestyles are from being in a less densely populated area. How does that kind of gap originate? Obviously the concerns of city people are radically different than those outside. How does it end up that way?

I also see that term "demographic" change in politics used more frequently than ever these days. Is that just a code word for race? There's this guy on Youtube I watch occasionally whose channel is called The Red Elephants and he is obsessed with "demographics" being "destiny" for conservatism. He's terrified of what will happen when white people become a minority. He believes that once a district goes blue, it's blue forever. If that's the only strategy Republicans have to stay relevant - to play defense with demographics - that's just unsustainable.

I don't know why Republicans consider it so difficult to sell their vision to groups of people who aren't "white". Can't they bridge the "demographic" divide by bringing some of those blue people over to the conservative side? After all, wouldn't the core outcomes desired by conservatives - economic prosperity and freedom from tyranny - be appealing to just about anyone? Someone in some Republican think tank needs to be examining on a very granular level why they just can't sell conservative ideas well in the cities.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast