• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...0191118-d6x6gqfre5hvfgtbsgy2rgefse-story.html

Cliff's Notes:
    College student arrested and held without bail, firearms in possession and at residence confiscated.
    Charges filed for violating 430 ILCS 66/65 carrying on school property. (IANAL, but this reads as K-12 to me as college is specifically mentioned elsewhere)

A "friend" makes one phone call to police, with feelings that the student was "acting strange" and here come the police.
    News article above says the police saw a 9mm handgun tucked between the seat & console. In a college parking lot.

It's not clear to me what law the judge was reading when this was allowed, nor what the prosecutor was reading when charges were filed.

But, it doesn't appear that any actual laws need to be broken or have any harmful intent in order for the State to take your guns, charge you with a felony, throw you in the slammer and hold you without bail.

Last edited:

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    So does this bring up a point that you shouldn't let others know anything about yourself or what you like to do that way they can't use it against you?????{friend that shoots with you cancels and calls you in because of a shooting in california?}

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm going to assume that the friend wasn't a gun owner and was triggered by the news of the California shooting and thought OMG my classmate has guns. Unfortunately he had them on school property. State or private college? Illegal? Felony charge? Could be a legal gun grab. It doesn't sound fair but if he's charged with a felony he might not see them for a while. No felony and no ill intent, bad grab.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    So does this bring up a point that you shouldn't let others know anything about yourself or what you like to do that way they can't use it against you?????{friend that shoots with you cancels and calls you in because of a shooting in california?}

Gun owners, the second class citizen.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This is exactly the kind of pervasive narc culture that is inseparable from the left. Just like Stalinism, can't go anywhere, do anything, or speak freely without somebody making a phone call and having you disappeared.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Look where it happened. 'Nuff said. If the kid was a gangbanger with thug friends, he'd be a hood hero / ghetto star and no charges.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    depends on state and county laws. Of which i don't now them. BUT To my last knowledge, in Indiana you can carry on a college campus, its just against the rules of the college. Indiana law carves out k-12 only.

(yes i know its Illinois and not Indiana)

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham

Just one more tactic the left uses against us - to try and make gun owners feel ostracized, like outsiders. They try to make us wary, fearful, secretive, paranoid. They want us to be loners instead of contributers; to be unwilling to share our hobbies and interests with family, friends, neighbors, and colleagues. And then they publicly and constantly paint us as all of these things, and get others to believe it. They get some of us to believe it, too.

A vicious cycle and a self-fulfilling prophecy.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I'm going to assume that the friend wasn't a gun owner and was triggered by the news of the California shooting and thought OMG my classmate has guns. Unfortunately he had them on school property. State or private college? Illegal? Felony charge? Could be a legal gun grab. It doesn't sound fair but if he's charged with a felony he might not see them for a while. No felony and no ill intent, bad grab.

This incident was reported occurring on a college campus. Which appears to be legal according to the statute linked.
    He was charged with a felony, but again the facts seem to indicate that charges were NOT warranted.

depends on state and county laws. Of which i don't now them. BUT To my last knowledge, in Indiana you can carry on a college campus, its just against the rules of the college. Indiana law carves out k-12 only.

(yes i know its Illinois and not Indiana)

I'm not 100% up to speed on IL/local laws either, however as the statue reads to me this is limited to K-12 (primary & secondary schools) in IL as well:
    Sec. 65. Prohibited areas.
    (a) A licensee under this Act shall not knowingly carry a firearm on or into:
    (1) Any building, real property, and parking area
    under the control of a public or private elementary or secondary school.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This incident was reported occurring on a college campus. Which appears to be legal according to the statute linked.
    He was charged with a felony, but again the facts seem to indicate that charges were NOT warranted.

I'm not 100% up to speed on IL/local laws either, however as the statue reads to me this is limited to K-12 (primary & secondary schools) in IL as well:

Miriam Websters Definition of secondary school

[FONT=&amp]: a school intermediate between elementary school and college and usually offering general, technical, vocational, or college-preparatory courses

Nope. it dont fit. Sounds like somebody goofed.

[/FONT]

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

[FONT=&amp]: a school intermediate between elementary school and college and usually offering general, technical, vocational, or college-preparatory courses

[/FONT]

"If it does not fit, you must acquit!" - Johnny Cochran ;)

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI

[/FONT]

Well, we should know that the Dictionary definition of a word doesn't always mean what you think it means in the law....

However, they seem to call out colleges differently further down:

(430 ILCS 66/105)
    Sec. 105. Duty of school administrator. It is the duty of the principal of a public elementary or secondary school, or his or her designee, and the chief administrative officer of a private elementary or secondary school or a public or private community college, college, or university, or his or her designee, to report to the Department of State Police when a student is determined to pose a clear and present danger to himself, herself, or to others, within 24 hours of the determination as provided in Section 6-103.3 of the Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Code. "Clear and present danger" has the meaning as provided in paragraph (2) of the definition of "clear and present danger" in Section 1.1 of the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act.
    (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)

So, to me this seems to show that secondary school != college or university, specifically in this law.

Dark Star

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    South bend
    I was at someone's house yesterday and they were watching a show with the guy that used to be on Dark. Angel and NCIS. Not sure the title. Anyway wasn't paying it much attention until this part where the trial evidence video was of the dad leaving an indoor gun range. There was a sign saying something to the effect of stop here one last time to check/clear your weapon(s) before leaving. Dad blows right past the sign while talking on his phone.

Kinda assuming the show is in NYC since so many are. Certainly no law here saying you can't carry out the door at the ranges.

It's been a while since I've read the NY/NYC stuff to know for sure what they have going on.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Well, we should know that the Dictionary definition of a word doesn't always mean what you think it means in the law....

However, they seem to call out colleges differently further down:

(430 ILCS 66/105)
    Sec. 105. Duty of school administrator. It is the duty of the principal of a public elementary or secondary school, or his or her designee, and the chief administrative officer of a private elementary or secondary school or a public or private community college, college, or university, or his or her designee, to report to the Department of State Police when a student is determined to pose a clear and present danger to himself, herself, or to others, within 24 hours of the determination as provided in Section 6-103.3 of the Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Code. "Clear and present danger" has the meaning as provided in paragraph (2) of the definition of "clear and present danger" in Section 1.1 of the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act.
    (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)

So, to me this seems to show that secondary school != college or university, specifically in this law.

It's a law forcing all other schools, schools that they can't prohibit, to report suspicious behavior. It seems they agree there's nothing suspicious, but he still has charges, and is unable to arm himself.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Unfortunately for this fellow, this appears a bit farther down.
    (15) Any building, classroom, laboratory, medical
    clinic, hospital, artistic venue, athletic venue, entertainment venue, officially recognized university-related organization property, whether owned or leased, and any real property, including parking areas, sidewalks, and common areas under the control of a public or private community college, college, or university.

I'm pretty sure that IL has a parking lot law that makes it legal to store a firearm in a vehicle in prohibited places, but the firearm(s) must not be visible. Per the article one of his was.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom